Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 23, 2004, 12:23 PM   #1

Hi

I am thinking of purchasing this camera as spec looks good with enough manual control to allow me to develop photo skills when I have the opportunity.

Can anyone offer any experience with this camera. I have always been a Canon fan and was looking at S500 or A80 instead but is the Casio worth the extra investment ?

What are the weaknesses ?

Any experiences would be really helpful.

andyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2004, 10:42 AM   #2

No one so far has made a negative comment about the camera......that indicates .........a good thing.
I say this, that Casio is the ONLY camera that will help expand your photographic skill's because of it's extremly easy in camera menu.
It WILL be a fun camera to have.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 4:03 PM   #3
K8

I just got mine this Friday morning, ordered it Thursday at 4:00, got it 11:00 Friday, GREAT SERVICE {$510.00 delivered!}.

So Far I have taken about 400 pictures, what a SUPER Camera!

I love the multibracketing. I had heard some comments about a weak flash, but it's working great for me.

Only complaint-No Paper Manual, 247 pages online!

Still, I would recommend it 100%

K8
K8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:47 AM   #4

Many thanks for the views..sounds promising.

Sounds a great price you paid and reliable service, where was it from ?
andyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 11:52 AM   #5
K8

I bought it from

http://www.aaxes.net/

I looked all over the internet, called 2 other places, but these people were the friendliest and most helpful (I had a lot of questions)! I could have gotten it from them for only $492.69, but I wanted it quickly, so I opted for overnight. Because of my location and problems with UPS & FedEx, I asked if they would ship via USPS. I ordered it on Thursday at about 2:30 and it arrived the next day at 11:00 AM, what a deal.

I called them to thank them, and John (the person I dealt with) told me he had personally taken it to the PO the night before on his way home.

These people are great! And it turned out to be the best price also.

Two Thumbs Up!!!
K8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 11:49 PM   #6

The advertised speed of auto focus lag time is 2/10 second. Is it really that fast?
fgreenhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 8:10 PM   #7

I have read a few reviews about this camera and its had some good ratings, if you live in England many of the digital camera mags are reviewing it this month so go to WH smith. The only problem I have seen about the camera in many mags they say that the noise can be bad especially indoors

dalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:33 AM   #8

Hi,

I'm also thinking about buying this camera. The only thing that really worries me is the quality of nightshots. Does anyone have expierience? Does anyone use an external flash?

Ilse
Ilse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:16 AM   #9

I bought this camera 1 mounth ago. I likeif but in the image appear a little noise at ISO50 and a big noise at ISO100. For me this is only negative thing of this camera: NOISE. Probably it is caused by a little dimensions of CCD and his 6 MP... also probably the alghoritms used in firmware is not ompimized for enough noise reduction and, inthe future, Casio could produce a new version of firmware that minimize noise...

Scuse me for my english.... :lol:
montegentile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 12:29 AM   #10

3,000 SHOTS WITH AN EXILIM PRO-600 - FIRST IMPRESSIONS

I bought an Exilim Pro-600 in late July, and took to to France with me on vacation for three weeks. I did a lot of research before I bought it, and handled most competitive cameras. Small size and light weight were critical for me, plus 6 megapixels (for use in design work), and an easy-to-use interface. The camera was about $515, Tubes $30, the Tele Converter $99 (all from J&R in NYC), the Wide Converter $149. The very attractive Casio EX-P600 leather camera case was about $35.

Unfortunately, my brand new outfit was ripped off on my return from my checked luggage by United Airlines security personnel at Heathrow (BE WARNED!), so I only had it for 3 weeks.

BUT...I did shoot over 5,000 images, of which I retained about 3,000 on my Powerbook - I threw the rest away. (I didn't lose a single image I wanted.) Overall, I was very impressed by the Casio - my second digital, the previous digital camera being a Canon Elph (2.1 Megapixel). Before that, mainly Leicas and Olympuses.

The outfit also included a Wide Converter and a Tele Converter, giving a 35mm equivalent range of about 20 - 200 mm. I found I hardly used the regular lens. The Wide Convertor's only problem was noticeable barrel distortion at the widest setting - sometimes it mattered, sometimes not. The Tele Convertor vignettes just a little below the optical zoom line, so you can only zoom with it to a very limited extent, mainly non-optical. Having said that, I got great shots with both lenses.

Both these lenses are also very handle-able - you can hold the camera by the lens barrels - and are still pretty light and small, even carrying both convertors with tubes attached, and the camera body. The Tele is great for sneak candid shots. Changing is a little fiddly, and requires you to remove (and not lose) a trim ring, but I'm used to screw Leicas. You can't use the camera flash with these lenses (you get a bloody great big shadow). You can fit a skylight filter onto the tube front (i.e. without the convertor lens attached), but not in front of the lenses.

I had a 512 MB card, which on the biggest setting (i.e. 6 megapixels) at Fine would store 170 - 210 images. If I buy another Casio, I'd get the 1GB card if I could afford it. I also had a spare battery - battery life was good for most of an active day shooting, but you get little warning before it dies, so I do think a spare is essential. Charging seemed to take a couple of hours.

I loved the user interface on this camera - graphic, clear, and very easy to use. Also the big view screen is a major plus. I used exposure bracketing a LOT, loved that, too, but be warned, it uses up card space fast at the 5-exposure setting (there's also a 3-bracket setting).

The fast shoot feature gave me great candid portraits I don't think I could have got any other way, in the wonderful soft light of Touraine. I shot a lot in dim churches and got generally good results, tho' I did notice noise at the 200 ASA setting. I got some very sharp night shots of floodlit chateaux, simply by bracing against walls for 8-10 sec exposures. The screen with the graph is cool looking and impressive, but really not that useful - it's a little too cluttered.

Downside? Body quality is unimpressive. I lost the flimsy port cover within a week, and after 3 weeks was seeing wear to the body finish. I also had occasional hang-ups that required restarting the camera. I couldn't figure out why. I did update to the 1.1 firmware - a download from the Casio site, and easy to do.

If anyone in England is offered a cheap Exilim Pro-600 outfit (including two lenses, two tubes and a very nice EX-P600 leather case), camera body with the number EX-P600-7976768357, please let me know. It's stolen. (United Airlines don't give a damn, and Thiefrow Airport deny any responsibility.)

alproc is offline   Reply With Quote