Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 1, 2004, 10:57 PM   #1
K8

Not to diss this forum, but there isn't a lot of activity here. Does anyone know of an active Casio (particularly the P600) forum? I'd love to talk to other owners.

Kate:?:
K8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2004, 6:21 PM   #2

Just bouth one, so far love it. Be happy to share experience.
alexasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 9:58 PM   #3

I've had one for 3 months. Mail me, Jim
shamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 8:38 PM   #4

I'm thinking of possibly getting the EX-P600. Any input (pro or con)?

Thanks!
ALF-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2004, 4:31 AM   #5
djr

I've had mine for about 10days now.

The quality so far has been superb. Any duff shots have been down to me not the camera. The metallic body seems solid enough but the cover for the inputs etc is cheap but not been a problem so far.

The lens barrel seem somewhat loose, there is definate movement there (deliberate?? anyone else notice this?) but this seems to have nil impact on the quality.

The camera is fast in use, the screen is very easy to see (although bright sunlight obviously still causes some problems).

Point and shoot works well, the Best shot mode has some good set ups and some that seem to me pointless. Aperture priority, shutter priority and full manual work as expected.

adjustable metering and focus allows you more control which is good if you want it- i do.The ability to check correct focus on a recorded image is great as well.

zoom is good and fastand (i use 2816x2112 and 50ISO settings) you can get decent shots with the digital zoom. Comparing to an older Canon of my wife's the digital zoom quality is way higher. Obviously you still lose some but it is useable.

Bracketing works well.

I am using a 128 normal Sandisk without problem (waiting on a 256 Ultra 11 to arrive).

Flash has been ok the couple of times I have used it. Not used an external unit yet.Focus in dim light seems pretty accurate as well.

movie mode produces ok results - as good as you could expect from 320x240. If you need this feature a lot buy a video camera, as an extra on a camera its fine.

Battery life is good but buy a spare.

All in I would say it is a very capable pro-sumer camera. It can be used from basic point and shoot to full manual and so far has produced very good quality results. still experimenting but overall impressions are it was well worth the money paid.

I would post up some images but need to lose some bulk first.

djr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:54 PM   #6
K8

Thanks to everyone for contributing! I have had my P600 for about 6 weeks and taken tons of pictures. Overall, I am quite pleased, but I feel I need a photography class of some sort. This has nothing to do with the camera, more with me than anything else. Has anyone actually tried a faster card? I am looking at the Ultra II and would hope that makes some difference in flash recovery times, so if anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it. Also, anyone using external lenses? Do we have to gop with Canon or are there some alternatives? Again, any input is appreciated.

Kate
Old Aug 11, 2004, 4:34 PM   #7

I am using PNY 256MB and so far quite happy. On another note www.dpreview.com published a method of retriving RAW files. I am not able to open them in PhotoshopCS. Does anybody has experiece with this software.
alexasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 4:04 PM   #8

I've had my P600 since July, got it right before a trip to Cabo. It was very easy to just learn on the fly (without help of a printed manual :?. I have been very happy with the picture quality, ease of use, wonderful menu on a big LCD screen, and most of all......durability!! I am ashamed to say that on the Mexico trip, the camera slipped out of my bag which turned upside down....and proceeded to land on cement surface about 4 feet down :sad:. My heart stopped as I picked it up and turned in on. But thankfully it came right on and worked fine. I can't find even a little ding on the body to indicate where it hit the pavement. So for me ...I give it an A+++++++ in durability.

I do have lots of pictures online at webshots as examples. Many from Mexico, and many closeups of my flowers. It does excellent closeups by the way.

You can send me email if you want the links.
slcook52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:57 AM   #9
K8

Just a note to everyone here. I finally broke down and got and Ultra II card (512) and it IS significantly faster. I've been shooting a lot in raw, and before theer was at least a 10 second processing time. Now in RAW it's down to between 4-5 seconds. While that's still slow, I love the RAW images. In other modes, it's REALLY faster. I would recommend it 100%.

Kate
Old Dec 21, 2004, 1:58 AM   #10

Hi,

i just bot my P600 and i realise dat when i use the 'nightscene' setting under 'best shot' at night, the camera takes the longest time to save an image... Does your camera have this problem? i was wondering if my camera is faulty... i understand that it says slow shutter speed but mine is just way too slow... Appreciate if you can share some experience. Thanks!

Regards,
bornfooty
bornfooty is offline   Reply With Quote