Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 26, 2004, 9:41 AM   #11

:sad:I was so chuffed with my Z4 that I recommended this little beauty to a couple of friends, who went out and bought Z40's for upcoming holidays. The trouble is -it now seems obvious that the Z40 does not have the same picture quality as the Z4 by a long shot. Take a look at these cropped comparison shots taken with the same settings and same scenes. It appears that in our tests the Japanese and Chinese models are equally bad, assuming we haven't missed some vital anti-blur function setting.

Has anyone else complained to Casio? You don't normally expect technology to go in reverse, and the pricing certainly doesn't reflect this downgrading. I don't think the Vignette reply above really addresses this poor focus issue.
Attached Images

netherwoodreeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:27 PM   #12

well i took my z40 out to london togive it a good test. The pics came out good

Its all about knowing the camera and how it works

Also see this site of some pics i have taken at thorpe park with the z40. Click on the tesco pic to see them http://www.geocities.com/opbdboy/tesco/thorpe
Attached Images

dalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:28 PM   #13

+
Attached Images

Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:34 PM   #14

another z40 pic

Attached Images

Old Jul 29, 2004, 4:09 PM   #15

Hi - I just purchased the Z40 *without* reading this post first, and I concur with the original poster that the image quality is to be desired. If you take a picture in sufficient natural lighting, I seem to notice the picture quality is great; however, if I take a picture indoors, with low ambient light, without flash, the picture has sort of a pixelation quality to it. This is quite disappointing.
danlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 7:56 PM   #16

I agree the camera is not great without flash indoors, but the same goes to loads of other Digital cameras. My cousin has the Canon A80 and it does the same thing, pictures are blurred if the object is moving and there is no light. Outdoors at night using a mini tripod I have snapped some good night shots. I was going to swap my z40 but after giving it a good go I will keep it. Then maybe next year I will get a better camera. Give the camera a go first

Old Aug 2, 2004, 8:02 AM   #17

I read somewhere that there is a firmware upgrade for the EX-Z40 which improves the picture quality. They said that they were disappointed with the camera and were going to return it but then upgraded the firmware and is now very happy with it. Does anyone know if the firmware really can make that much of a difference. (Also, on the casio website the upgrade looks to be for the EX-Z4 only? )
gh202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 9:02 AM   #18

Just got an email from Casio UK saying that there is no firmware upgrade for the EX-Z40 and that they are "not aware of models made in China or Japan to be any different to each other." They also said that if I had any problems with the camera I could send it to them for further testing. It sounds like they're already used to a fair few customers complaining.

:idea: I think I'll get the Casio Ixus 430.
gh202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 4:06 PM   #19

Hi!

I have read the whole topic and I think the problem much of youencounter is a poor "Auto ISO" setting of Z40. In bad lighting conditions it sets ISO 200 or even 400 and thats the reason of poor image quality. You should manually set ISO to 100 or 50 and pictures will be OK.
Lotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 11:14 AM   #20

well i am in spain on holiday taking some shots with my z40, i´ll post the pics on here to see the outcome. I have got recorded some great tropical storms on the video settings. I always use a 50 iso and sometims use the text bestshot as it gives more sharpness.