Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Aug 10, 2004, 7:06 PM   #21

I noticted this camera uses a Pentax lense and it almost seems to have the same issues that recent Pentax cameras have. A lot of people think the Pentax S4 is a great camera and now you can get "improved" versions S40 and S4i both of which have the same problems that everyone is mentioning here. From what I can gather the S4 is better than the "improved" S40 and S4i. Anyway, just thought I'd put in my two cents, I don't know much about cameras but I'm getting the impression that Pentax sucks...

I've been trying to decide which camera to get this one, the Pentax S4 or the Canon s410...I think I've made up my mind, although it's slightly larger the Canon seems to be the best...

:?
surebip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 5:03 PM   #22

I was planning to buy this camera (Casio EX-Z40) as my "day to day" camerabut am concerned by the amount of complaints in this forum regarding build and picture quality. I notice that the Casio 'Z40 used in Steve's review has a "Made in China" sticker on the base - Steve got excellent results with hismodel !! Is there a serious quality control issue and if so has it been resolved ???

Gerry (UK).

I have now had the opportunity to use a Z40 for a day - the results were awful. Virually every shot badly defocused, I tried setting a different ISO setting (rather than auto) to ensure a high shutter speed but no improvement (I thought that maybe camera shake was the problem) - I also took picturesusing theviewfinder and the camera pressed hard against my face for stability but still no improvement. I should add that I am totally familiar with digital cameras as I own a Pentax 330RS and an Olympus 5050Z. Both of these give excellent results but are terribly slow to autofocus + a further delay when you press the shutter. The Casio was a dream to use, everything about it felt quality and there is no shutter lag, just very soft pictures - shame.

Gerry.
gerryjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:22 AM   #23

To me the major problem continues to be sharpness at the top left/right corners which is terrible, looks blurred rather than unsharp. Also the general overall sharpness is lacking. Compared to a friends Fuji 700 the difference is like chalk & cheese.

Its frustrating as the design, size, operation of the camera is excellent.

If I had my choice again I wouldnt buy it....the China / Japan issue also seems to be a red herring !?
bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 8:34 PM   #24

did you take all for pics or did your friends use their camera?
andrewD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2004, 9:36 AM   #25

Hello, I was going to buy ex-z40 but after reading this forum I have had second thoughts. Is the camera really that bad?

I have a canon a70 now, and I really don't want to buy a camera that takes worse pictures than the a70. A70 takes pretty good pictures, but I would like a smaller camera instead. Should I even consider the Z40 anymore?
mongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 7:24 AM   #26

WEll as I have said many times the camera is doing a good job for me. Picture quality is perfect for such a small camera.I feel that people do not understand how to use the camera and then complain about picture quality. Here is a post I found that should help people with the cam:

couldn't decide between the Casio EX-Z40 and the Pentax s4i as a birthday gift for my wife, so I bought both to compare side-by-side (intending to return one). There are 2 complaints I have about the Casio, which might help explain bad results many people are reporting:

1. If you click the shutter all the way down too fast (not stopping half-way for the autofocus), the supposed "feature" of PanFocus will fix the focus at some predetermined distance based on your zoom level. This results in very fast response, but 9 times out of 10, the picture will be blurry (unless it just so happens your subject is at the fixed distance the camera chose).

Initially, I did not realize that I had been bypassing the AutoFocus. I just assumed the camera had lousy focus. Once I slowed down and paused enough for the AutoFocus to lock, then all my pics came out much sharper. After reading so many complaints about the Casio having fuzzy pics, I wonder how many people are doing the same as I was and engaging the PanFocus without knowing it?

2. In AutoISO mode, the Casio is way too quick to select ISO 200 or 400. Taking the exact same pic with both cams, the Pentax would use ISO 50 or 100, while the Casio would choose ISO 100 or 200. This resulted in much noisier pics from the Casio. If I manually locked the ISO at 50 or 100, then the Casio produced results on par with the Pentax, but then that defeats the whole purpose of having a fully-auto point&shoot cam.
dalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 10:35 AM   #27

Thanks for the post Dalick

The comments made are all clear to me with my problem

They unfortunatly do not rectify my cameras problem. Thisis its sharpness top right and left corners which is significantly blurred. I tested another Z40 to check it wasnt my camera and it was exactly the same. Zooming variations make little difference either. I showed this to a professional photographer who was surprised how bad it was. Occasionally the camera will take some nice pictures and you are "surprised" when it does but overall this problem is constant. Personally I think its the quality of the optics of the Pentax lens. Clearly Pentax will make various "qualities" for there customers.

As an aside a friend has just bought the Sony DCS 1, I was staggerd with the optical sharpness of the Carl Zeiss lens. It is PIN SHARP across the whole image
bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 8:33 PM   #28

I do agree with you that the camera's pentax barrel lens does give some blurred results around the edges. But I feel that this does not have too much of an impact on the picture quality. I have read many magazine reviews of this camera and they have noticed the blurred edges and still gave it 5 star ratings. I feel that overall the z40 is a good starting camera due to the quick shot functions and the battery life. But thenwhen I get a newer camera I think I will move away from the casio exilimrange.
dalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 4:30 PM   #29

As with the rest of you, I recently purchased the Z40 and am very dissapointed with the picture quality. I have two older cameras, a Canon S100 (2.1 mpix)and a Olympus D400 (1.3 mpix). Both of these older cameras take great pictures, considering the pixel rate. Wish I would have read this thread before buying the Casio. I bought this camera for the extended battery life, and docking station. I have tried side by side comparisons usingthe high quality, and 1600x1200 size. The pictures are still fuzzy. If anyone learns of a firmware upgrade that will fix this problem please post it here.

Dave
BadCasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 2:22 PM   #30

I've had a z-40 for few days now for testing. I take pictures most of the time indoors, so i'm not very pleased with the quality. I like everyting else in the camra. Does anyone know if the z-30 would take less noisy pictures? And what about the next models - do they have the same problem with sharpness? I would think they have more noise anyway.

I really need a small camera, but they are not just good enough yet.

-Antti
Antti is offline   Reply With Quote