Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 2, 2004, 10:55 AM   #1

Hi

I have just bought the Z40 after much searching and a recomendation. However I have to say I am extremely dissapointed with its image quality. It is simply terrible. The overall sharpness is poor and the edge corners are completely unsharp. I am amazed that Casio can put there name to something like this. I was expecting with a 4 million pixel camera to get nice crisp sharpness. In comparison to images I have seen from Canon & Fuji the diffrence is huge

I complained to Casio UK thinking the camera must have a fault along with an image and they responded below !!!

This effect that you are getting on some of the pictures is known as vignetting and is a common occurence in the photographic world. You can find more information on the topic if you visit the following website.

http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/vignetting.html

Has anyone else experenced poor image quality with this camera ?? I love the design and size but was expecting much better quality even for a small camera. I also heard that they make this camera in Japan and China and the latter are poorer quality...by coincedence mine is made in China !!

Comments would be appreciated
bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2004, 2:30 PM   #2

Hi bench
I've bought my z40 some day's ago and it seems that mine has the same problem as yours. And as yours mine is made in China.
I've not yet had the time to really test the cam, but from the few testpics I took so far, I'm really disappointed
:sad:

-dani
dani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 2:30 PM   #3

Hi bench
I've bought my z40 some day's ago and it seems that mine has the same problem as yours. And as yours mine is made in China.
I've not yet had the time to really test the cam, but from the few testpics I took so far, I'm really disappointed
:sad:

-dani
dani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 11:09 AM   #4

Hi Dani

Thanks for your reply....I am now taking this up with CASIO again as I am not at all satisfied with there response. I have tested images against the Fuji 700 and even with this camera set at 3 million pixels the image quality and sharpness are far superior to the CASIO set at 4 million pixels. Will keep you posted if and when I get a satisfactory answer

Anyone else own this camera ?

Cheers
bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 8:30 PM   #5

Hello,

I have had my casio exilim ex-z40 for a few weeks now, and have had some mixed results with the camera. Sometimes picture's look great then other times I get a blur on the left hand side and pics are poor.

At first I was going to by the Japan made modelon ebay as it said that there is a difference in quility but instead got it from a website for only £200this is the one made in China. But when I went down to the local digi cam shop they were selling the exilim zx-40 for £320 (rip off)and that onewas made in china too. So now I am lost if there really is a japan made one.

Anyway hereare some pics I haveteken, the quality is not bad and shows good detial.
Attached Images

dalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 8:31 PM   #6

Attached Images

Old Jul 11, 2004, 8:32 PM   #7

Attached Images

Old Jul 20, 2004, 5:12 AM   #8

I got a Z40 in June to take on holiday, my friend owned a Z4
and his imges were superb so I took the plunge and got a Z40.
My holiday images were poor the images all seem out of focus!!
I thought I was doing something wrong but the same friend with
the Z4 did a test while on his holiday he took a shot with his
Z4 and a shot with a Z40, the Z40 was terrible in comparison.
It seems the quality has gone backwards between the Z4 to Z40.
mr_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:08 AM   #9

am in japan now, so will check if the z 40 sold in japan is made in china or japan, will let u know soon....
akidagoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 3:32 AM   #10

I have a Casio Z40, that I bought in Japan, 2 weeks ago. So far no problems with image quality. My camera was made in Japan (and it is the blue version)

Anthony
anthony27 is offline   Reply With Quote