Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Oct 21, 2004, 7:49 AM   #1

Hi all,

Does anyone have the Casio Z55?

How well do the night pictures turn out? I was thinking of the Sony T1 but heard the quality of the night pics was really bad. Too much red-eye.

Is the LCD bright and sharp?

Can you get good really close up pictures?

Finally, how do the videos turn out?

THANKS IN ADVANCE, ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED!
danzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2004, 4:23 AM   #2

I've had a Z55 for about a week.

Havent taken night pictures yet but taken a few low light pics and they seem fine. Red-eye is evident in most of the shots, so use of the red-eye reduction option is recommended (where the camera flashes twice) - With this turned on I've found practically no red eye.

The LCD seems fine to me. I did notice when I first got it that when used as a viewfinder the realtime image appeared grainy/snowy - but on reflection I think it's just me nitpicking. The LCD isn't particularly high resolution but it's clear, large and does the job fine. The slight snowy effect is not present when viewing back previously taken shots.

I've tried a macro shot of a flower/insect and I was very happy with the result.

The videos are no match for some of the other VGA-enabled cameras out there, but I've taken several vids and I'm happy with them.

Some other miscellany...

For me this camera gives the best performance and features for its size.

It's extremely quick in operation. Minimal shutter lag. Viewing thumbnails/photos on the LCD is lightening quick - far better compared with my last Nikon Coolpix 775 camera.

It's a classy looking camera, especially with the 2.5 inch screen. It's not as classy nor as small as the Casio S100, which is very thin and has a gorgeous brushed metal finish, but the spec (2.5in TFT, long batt life, 5mp) more than makes up for it.

A large SD card is essential with this camera. I have a Sandisk Ultra 512mb card which I got off ebay for a reasonable amount (imported from the US to the UK). 512mb cards have replaced 256mb cards for best price per megabyte it seems.

I have been using the supplied fabric holder until I receive my Casio case from 7dayshop. Whether this is the cause of the fading letters on the top of the camera I'm not sure. I doubt it because I've been very careful, but I'd recommend a Casio branded case from the outset to be on the safe side. The lettering on the top of my Z55 has been jumbled up into lots of tiny metal fragments, leaving just the "Z55" lettering at the end readable. I've been very delicate with this camera so not a good sign of build quality, but other than that it looks and feels good.

I did notice that the spring cover door for the battery/memory is too easily caught/opened by mistake - though there's no chance of the battery nor the memory card falling out when this happens because both have further individual latches holding them in place.

Also, as with all the previous Zoom models before this, there is no Video out! I have found this feature very handy in the past with my Nikon camera so the lack of AV out is a poor omission. It's one of those features you either love or never use. I now prefer to view photos on my laptop rather than the TV so I havent missed it as much as some others will.

I ordered a few prints from bonusprint.co.uk, some of which were enlarged, and the quality was excellent. The higher megapixel count seems to make a difference with the larger prints.

A couple of minor niggles aside I highly recommend this camera. The Z55 is worth the minimal extra compared with the Z50 - you'll definately notice the screen's extra 0.5 inch.
GreenAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 9:40 AM   #3

GreenAlien, thanks for that, a very good insight into the camera.

Would you happen to know how the Casio S100 differs? it seems like only the total megapixels and the size of the LCD.

other than that they seem to have the same features and functions, except that the s100 is much smaller and thinner

does this camera come with a fabric holder? seems like it doesnt from the product description

Old Oct 22, 2004, 12:08 PM   #4

I would advise you nip into a store and compare the S100 and Z55 for yourself. Only then will you be able to decide if the feature set outweighs the slightly thinner form factor.

The S100 is thinner and benefits from the classy metalic finish. The Z55 benefits from the higher megapixel count (5mp vs 3mp), the long life battery, the larger TFT screen, and the presence of a viewfinder (so you dont have to use the TFT screen to compose shots).

In the S100's favour - If you only intend to print out regular sized photos (eg up to 7 x 5 in) then you should get the same quality from both cameras. If you only use the TFT screen to compose shots (like I've been doing) then the lack of standard viewfinder wont bother you. The smaller screen is the same resolution as far as I know, so shows the same amount of information. The NP20 batteries that the S100 takes can be obtained fairly cheaply, thereby minimialising the benefit of the high capacity NP40 used in the Z55. As you can see, I could justify the S100, which made the decision difficult for me. But I like to order enlarged prints which sealed the deal with the Z55.

In the Z55's favour - if you use a case to store the camera then the thinner form factor of the S100 loses much of its advantage.

I would say that the software and performance are similar between the two. Both are very user friendly. In fact it looks like they use the same hardware and software.

You're correct re fabric holder, and I probably should of clarified that in my first post. This is not a proper case. It's just the camera packaging that the camera comes in when stored in the box. It offers little protection, but I've found it good enough to keep dirt and dust out of the camera until I receive a proper Casio case for it. I have ordered the Casio Z4/Z40 case on the assumption the Z55 will fit too.

Regarding the fading letters I mentioned. I can see now that this is because of the placement of my left index finger while taking pictures. Very odd that this should happen within days but it's no show stopper. The adhesive probably doesnt like oil from fingers.

USB2 would of been very welcome. Using the supplied docking to transfer the contents of a 512mb card takes approx 15 mins. I'd recommend ordering a USB2 memory card reader, which are very cheap if you order it online. I have ordered a normal size multicard reader to replace my USB1 reader, but I'm also looking around for a tiny standalone SD reader for travel purposes.
GreenAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 12:31 AM   #5

thanks, again some great info!

ahh decision between the s100 and the z55 is so much tougher now!

ive been around to a few shops here in sydney, but theyve all got very poor service, so i havent had the chance to check out the cameras side-by-side properly

i dont often print my pics so perhaps i wont need a 5MP camera, but i do want long battery life, haha ah well at least i know now that i wont be opting for the sony t1/t3

pity the casios dont use usb 2.0 though, then again doesnt matter, ill just sit the camera in the dock and let it download away, im not that fussed
Old Oct 24, 2004, 4:47 PM   #6

I just came home with the X50 which has a slightly smaller LCD than the X55. It is replacing my Minolta Xt which served me well but wanted something with more pixels and the rest of the features the X50 offers. I have not taken many pictures yet but like what I see so far.

On a side note, I wish Casio would supply a full users manual. They do send it on a disk which is not the most convient or practical. :O- John
jpmac55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 7:51 AM   #7

Hi all,

Just a question. The AC adapters that come with the Z55/Z50, if the camera is bought in the USA, will it work in Australia?

Australias power rating is 240 volts. Will my cradle blow up? Or do I just have to get another AC adapter here in Australia?

Better still, can I just get a adapter plug that will make the AC adapter fit into the Australian power sockets.

Please advise all! THANKS!!!!
Old Oct 26, 2004, 6:39 AM   #8

Hi i've never used a casio camera but am interested in it.

does anyone know if there is a marked difference between the pentax s5i and the z55?

also i read that the z40's videos were played in quicktime format. just wanted to know if the z55's videos could be played in mediaplayer. (i know that they are in AVI format)

Thanks
logboy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 8:28 AM   #9

I briefly owned a Z40 - swapped to a IXUS 40 (SD300) since it had better movie modes. Anyway, the Z40's movies were in .avi and could be played in Media Player so don't know why you read otherwise. The Z55 is a little bigger than the s5i but has a larger LCD and has better battery life - the Z40 was very good in this respect, I had it for about a week, took about 150 pictures and didn't have to recharge the battery at all.
jkmng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 4:37 AM   #10

danzo wrote:
Quote:
Just a question. The AC adapters that come with the Z55/Z50, if the camera is bought in the USA, will it work in Australia?

Australias power rating is 240 volts. Will my cradle blow up? Or do I just have to get another AC adapter here in Australia?

Better still, can I just get a adapter plug that will make the AC adapter fit into the Australian power sockets.

Please advise all! THANKS!!!!
Quote:
Hi,
Quote:
If it is of any help, I have a Z4 and a S20 and both cradles are dual voltage, automatically switched, I would assume all Casio cradles are the same.
jaigee is offline   Reply With Quote