Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Nov 29, 2004, 6:41 PM   #11

I have to question Steve's reply above: In reading his review on the Z55 . http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...x-z55_pg5.html If you read through his conclusion you come away with a excellent camera in image quility outdoors and very good indoors. I am puzzled why the review apears so for the camera and yet people are taking these back to the stores? Steve could you explain if these cameras are realy that bad or are they just not quite as good as others and everyone just wants "The Best" even though the difference is small? Thank you, Ron
kazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 6:57 PM   #12

Steve, would you say that the Canon SD300 has better picture quality that the Z55?
subliminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:58 AM   #13

I'm sure Steve will probably chime in here, but just to add another comment of my own . . . the Z55 is definitely a very, very good camera! This site, along with the other major camera review sites, places the cameras in categories with the little elf size cameras being in one group for example and the full blown Professional DSLR's being in another with other groups in-between. It is therefore perfectly natural to rate the Z55 as excellent within its particular group and yet at the same time to find a particular DSLR also excellent within its own group.

However, youprobably wouldn't want toequate the excellent rating of one of the elf size cameras on a parr with an equivalent excellent rating of a larger Pro level camera. The same would apply to the other categories. The Z55 (within its group) is indeed a great camera. My Canon A75 is a bit larger and therefore allows for much steadier shots and has more creative control with Shutter, Appeture and full Manualsettings. This in my opinion more than makes up for the extra megapixels. At the end of the day (for me at least) the only thing that counts is the final image quality, not the pixel specs or cuteness factor.

If a T-Shirt pocket camera was my absolute priorty then the Z55 would be my choice. However, in my case I simply didn't mind a slightly larger camera (which is still very small)in return for noticeably nicer images. Finally, I love that image of the kids above. That proves that the Z55 can indeed take a very nice picture!
Dark Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:12 PM   #14

it is strange that steves it is taken part in order to say that canon is better and then it does not answer more.
robyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:54 PM   #15

Many people in this forum are having the same problem with their Z55as with people with the old Z-40.

I for one had a Z-40 which looked great, big lcd small size. But after taking loads of photos with itI realized that the camera just was not for me. Buying the camera made me realizewhat I wanted, and that was a camera that would take great photos. So I'm really happy I bought the ExilimZ40justto show myself what i needed from a camera.That did not mean it was a bad camera, but for the price i paid for the image quality was not for me.Myold Nikon coolpix3200 took far better sharper pictures. I feel that Steve is rightthe camera is so small its not going to take great pictures. Many people who are complaining about the Z40-Z55should look back and think what do they want from their digital camera. If you want great pictures you will have to go maybe for a bigger camera, lets say a Powershot A80. But if you need something small and image quality is not a problem a Z55 or FX7 is ideal. I wanted to take night scene photos were noise and blurred images is notevident. So now I have opted for a big uglyOlympus 765, and must admit that image quality is far better than the looks of a camera.

Here is a photo i took with my new camera, just think my exilim would have made this image soft.

Attached Images

dalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 2:00 PM   #16

And here is a photo from my old Casio exilim Z-40. As you can see the image quality is soft, I was thinking of getting the Z55 but after seeing the pictures I can see no real differnce in image quality, only that the Z55 has a larger but low quality display

Z40 soft shot poland
Attached Images

dalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 8:57 PM   #17

Surely as an experienced photographer you must know that taking a picture with light (especially the sun) behind your subject will make your image go soft. Seems that is exactly what happened in your example.
Crypty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 10:49 PM   #18
Shu

Dalick--Thank you for posting the two comparison shots. Seeing is believing!

I havejust purchased the Canon A95 after getting support from you guys as well as the folks on my Canon SLR forum. I returned the Z55 to Circuit City where they charged me $60 to send the camera back to the vendor! Do any of you have an idea how to get that charge returned, since I am outraged that I am being blamed for an obvious Casio problem? Another thing, I am finding it hard to trust online camera reviews after having faith in the advice of the "experts," onlytofind discrepancies in the reviews. I think it wise to check withCAMERA OWNERSto see how they are doing with a desired model. I imagine there is a lot of money to be madein connection with professional reviews....but who knows for sure. One just has to be realistic about these things.Unfortunately, it justcost me 60 bucks to geton the right track! Shu :roll:

Shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:08 PM   #19
Shu

Crypty--Right on. I do havemany other examples of soft images (taken in a mall and at a Thanksgiving family gathering)and wish to add that at Circuit City today, the sales associate wanted to see for himself what the quality of an image from the Z55looked like so , after snapping a few shots around the shop, he printed out a "very soft" image and immediatley understood my disappointment. It may very wellhave been a defect in that one Casio digital camera, butafter trying my best through many trial shots, and with feedback from this forum and others, I just didn't want to chance using another Z55! Shu
Shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 4:03 AM   #20

Well I just want to say that I very much "TRUST" Steve's Professional reviews. You simply have to understand (as I have stated in a previous post) that he may well rate a camera as being excellent "within that group of camera". That doesn't necessarily meanthat same camerawill be a superior camera to a similarily rated excellent camera in amore feature orientedgroup of cameras.

I bought the Z55 because he in fact did rate it excellent within that group and I found it to be a pretty darn good (for what it is) just like he said. However, I quickly realized that by moving up in size a bit to a more feature oriented camera, I could get even nicer results. He is perfectly right when he praises the Z55 (for what it is within the little pocket group) - and - he is perfectly right again when he says that if you move up you can get an even better camera. I don't think he's confused or being deceptive at all. In fact, he's being far more honest than quite a few other "PRO" reviewers who WON'T tell you that !!!

Finally, unlike a number of other camera review sites . . . Steve provides this very forum right here so that we can all review each others comments and experiences with the cameras before buying and not simply take his word for things or the word of any other "PRO" reviewer.
Dark Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote