Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Nov 27, 2004, 9:53 PM   #1
Shu

I have just purchased this camera and amexperiencing numerous problems.....
Firstly, after opening and looking at the setup manual, I was able to navigate the controls easily, but found whenever I needed more detailed info, I had to refer toa manual, which is available onlyon a CD,(whichis included with the camera). This is so inconvenient since one has to scroll through many pages to find an answer. Also, when out in the field, if a question arises, you have to wait until you get back to your computer. But worse than this, after t aking many shots in various lighting, I found most of them to be blurred----there were very few crisp, clear shots from this cam! I kept shooting, thinking I was holding the camera incorrectly, or perhaps moving the camera when I pressed the shutter button, but nothing corrected the problem. I consider myself an advanced photographer, having owned many digital point and shoots (and never a problem like this, I might add)and I now use a digital SLR regularly. I wanted a small cam to carry in my purse should an interesting image present itself.

My question is whether I am expecting too much from this littledigicam? I will return it (and certainly not recommend it) unless I can find (1) a way to take a sharp image and (2) have a PRINTED manual to use any time I need it.

BTW, I have contacted Casio support via email but have notheard back from them.

I am enclosing a typical image shot with the Z55.....notice how soft it looks. When resizing, I found the resolution to read "72." Is this common for a small camera?

I'd apprecaite your thoughts.:?

Shu
Attached Images

Shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2004, 12:52 PM   #2

Hi, I bought a z55 about a month ago, I found leaving it in the snapshot mode produced the best pictures. I did get some blurred pictures by putting it in some of the portrait setting and having things move in the frame. All in all I', happy with the camera for it's size. I had a canon s40 before this camera and I noticed more blurred pictures with that camera than this one.
Attached Images

kazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:53 PM   #3

Many persons say that z55 ago good photo and this are true if we watch the photo of kazman. I have found some photos of z55 much beautiful but not to focus to the edges and angles. Some say that it is a defect of z55 while others say that the zones to focus are not cause of the mistaken formulation of the person who has made the photo. You what say? For the photos indoor he seems that Panasonic FX7 is much best of z55. Has you photo indoor? Hello

http://www.pbase.com/mkb127/image/36671299

http://www.pbase.com/mkb127/image/36671301

http://www.pbase.com/mkb127/image/36671300
robyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 4:12 PM   #4

I am including a photo I took indoors with low light and a fireplace going. I have the asisted flash setting on, factory setting has this off. Seems to make better indoor photos for me anyway.
Attached Images

Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:07 PM   #5

kazman, beautiful photo. How it judges the photos that I have attached in previous mine post? Perhaps it is only a well not regulated error of formulation of the focus? Hello
Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:34 PM   #6

Robyy, First I am finding it hard to understand what you are asking, Are you saying that you are unhappy with the photos that you have linked to? Did you take those with a Z55 in the snapshot mode or did you use bestshot with a setting for landscape or something? Are you using the maximum resolution setting and downsampling them in photoshop? My photos are downsampled to upload to this site because of the size limitation. I shoot all my pictures at the largest file size settings. There is also a setting fo the focus. Maybe in scenes such as yours the infinate focus setting would produce the sharpest picture?
Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:39 PM   #7
Administrator

The best of the super-small cameras in my opinion are the Canon Digital ELPH series, check out the new SD200 and SD300 models. Many makers are moving away from printed manuals and only include a full manual on CD anymore. The small cameras are handy but many of them suffer from soft images due to the lenses they use and their low-light capabilities without flash are less than stellar. The biggest problem in my opinion is their size, tiny cameras are just difficult to hold steady and this often causes image blurring.This is especially noticeable if you also happen to have a hi-res digital SLR with far superior image quality. Sorry, that's just the way it is
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:19 PM   #8

Steve, thanks of the participation. it is much time that I follow forum and book reviews. I must say that the quality of fx7 in indoor is advanced to all the others. To example I enclose you a link where you can see all the photos made without flash and are much beautiful. Also fx7 it has problems and it is not perfect; it does not have viewfinder and it has batteries with duration little. I want to see all the alternatives to comprised FX7 Z55 and Canon SD300. Then I decide. I am happy for having aid. Thanks

http://www.pbase.com/sirotseta
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:44 PM   #9
Shu

Steve--I appreciate your comments. I will certainly return the Casio and feel better knowing all of these problems are not due to my photographic abilities. I will not be comfortable unless my images are up to my standards......it's too bad I was not warned of this when I purchased the Casio at Circuit City.I guess they only wanted to make the sale. I had done my homework checking out this web site and others in order to help me decide if the camera would fill my needs. There is a lot more to a cam than its size, so I have found out the "hard way." Thanks again. Andthanks to all others who have added their opinions and images. Appreciate it! Shu
Shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 5:14 PM   #10

Well I have to thank Steve as well. I recently purchased the Casio Z55 primarily due toits diminuitive form factor and the seemingly desireous larger LCD. However, the overall image quality was shallwesay . . . OK. However, itjust seemed to lack the really crisp images I was after. I returned it to Circuit City this morning after reading his honest comments above regarding the limitations of these little pocket cameras. I picked up a Canon A75 for under two hundred bucks (saving me two hundred back to my card).

My test images are indeed better than the Casio and I would venture to say the Panasonic X7 or the Sony T1. I am now getting really gorgeous images and 3 megapixels is more than enough for viewing images onmy web site, e-mailing them to others or for 8X10 prints. The Canon LCD is nearly 2 inches and serves me quite well. I really like the rechargable AA's better as well, along with the cheaper Compact Flash cards.

Steve is right. The little pocket cameras are indeed good cameras for what they are intended for, but all of them have to make sacrafices in order to deliver that diminuitive cuteness factor. Stepping up just a notch more in size brings you a better camera package and the Canon A75 is still small enough for a pocket! Steve is one of the very few professional reviewers who tells it like it is.Those tiny cameras are quite good for a must have t-shirt pocket camera, but as he says . . . stepping up just a tad in size opens another level and I'm glad I did!
Dark Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote