Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:16 PM   #1

I am very close to buying this camera, but one thing is holding me back. The specs state that the effective flash range is 9.5 feet, which is surprisingly short. However, the camera allows you to set the flash intensity to Weak, Normal or Strong. I'm wondering if the 9.5 feet spec is based on the Normal setting, and how much greater the range might be with the Strong setting. Could someone who already owns the camera perform an experiment?

Thanks!
Chris
collinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2005, 9:28 PM   #2

I have had no problems with the flash so far. I'd say the effective range is probably right at about 10 feet. It does have 3 modes, but the most useful I've found has been the weak mode, for times when you wanna use the macro focus, but don't want to wipe out the image with light.
ssddyakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 5:19 PM   #3

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to update you with some new information. I went ahead and purchased the Casio EX-P600 after all, despite my concerns about the flash intensity, and I am very happy with it. The flash intensity is not a problem. The spec of 9.5 feet range is actually the same spec as my older Nikon Coolpix 775. But the flash on the Casio is much better than the flash on the Nikon. Not only does the flash reach farther, but it is much more evenly distributed.
With the Nikon, when I took a flash photo of a group of people (like say 8 people sitting at a long dinner table), the closest people were very overexposed, and the farthest people were too dark to see. But with the new Casio the same shot turns out great.
Oh, a Casio Customer Support rep told me that the "Strong" setting on the flash does not actually make the flash brighter. It just makes the flash stay on longer.
Regards,
Chris
collinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 5:29 AM   #4

I just got my Pro 600 yesterday, and experimented a bit last night and this morning.

My first impressions are all around of being impressed with a superior product, but let's see how things work out...

What impresses me so far about the flash is that in auto mode (no red-eye red.), there was absolutely NO red eye effect in a series of shots I took of the tottlers, my wife, or the one's she took of me! I mean, you could actually distinuish that my eyes are green and not brown on the closeup, which I have never seem of myself in a digi photo. So, I will prob never use the RER.

About the flash, I am wondering is there is any kind of automatic "tone down" of the flash, as per mesured distance from the subject (over and above the manual "weak, norn, strong" settings), esp. in macro mode. Or if in macro, the flash is automatically toned down otherwise. I have seen this feature described on this site for other cameras, even lower level carmeras, and I just hope that the Pro 600 does it. It just seems like a logical feature to avoid washed-out flash photos...

Any comments?
Rob Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:42 AM   #5
Administrator

See the last picture on our sample photos page, it clearly shows what the EX-P600 can do in macro flash mode:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...0_samples.html

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:06 AM   #6

OK, I get it. It's clear that in Macro, the camera is compensating, and I think it does in auto mode as well, since I reviewed some close-ups we took with flash.

So, nothing to worry about there.

Thanks for the great site, Steve! I have found my digicam home on-line...
Rob Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:25 PM   #7
Administrator

Yes, it has no problems "throttling down" the flash output in macro or normal auto flash modes. Glad you enjoy the site!
steve is offline   Reply With Quote