Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:50 AM   #11

Gic,

I ran dcraw -a FILE.RAW

and the result is pretty much what I expect it to be...

big_ipaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:50 AM   #12

-a Use automatic white balance

Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:13 AM   #13
Gic

Yes, it should work for most normal photos, like the AWB setting in a camera...
Gic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:15 AM   #14

This means, you have photos where it does not work properly? Or we should find the proper Red and Blue multipliers for EX-Z55 CCD to obtain consistent results each time?

Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:48 AM   #15
Gic

I think that a RAW image must be unprocessed at all. Using AWB means processing.
But I have an idea. DCRAW in verbose mode tells the values of pre_mul parameters is using. So, a RAW image showing a clear white in sunlight will lead to the "primary" pre_mul parameters during AWB.
Just waiting for the sun...
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:43 AM   #16

Any way to open also Z50 raw files? They don't seems to be compatible with Z55 format!
Z50 raw files are 7.542.528 bytes!
Maybe I could modofy dcraw by myself, but don't know how what I need to modify and where to add my camera parameters (that I don't know...)
supergoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 5:53 AM   #17

?
Billy Bones™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 6:36 AM   #18
Gic

I've always thought the single difference between Z55 and Z50 is the LCD, butit seems I was wrong.

What to do:

1. First you must start with the file dimension and figure out how many rows and columns the file has. Try to open the file with Photoshop using the RAW option (8 bit), it will try to guess the dimensions. The file will not be correctly opened because it seems to be12 bit/pixel, but at least you must see a somehow grayscaled and horizontally enlarged image of the original photo. If the guess was wrong, thepicture will have stripes and it will look like a faulty TV-Set. Try more settings until you have the correct aspect (there are more options like 3904 x 1932 or 3864 x 1952 etc).

2. Now that you've found the correct number of rows and columns (let's assume we have 3904 x 1932),you must divide by 12 the"X" (large) number and multiply with 8 and you'll obtain the number of pixels per row. There can be some extrabytes so you'll have to round down the number obtained (ex: 3904 = 2602 / 8 * 12 + 1). This means we have 1932 rows of 2602 pixels at 12 bit/pixel.

3. Now edit dcraw.c with the new info:

- edit the class identify() in order for dcraw to recognize your file. Look at the P-600 definition and add after that anew line in this manner, like this:

{ 7542528, "Casio", "EX-Z50" },

- look further in the file and find the entry"else if (!strcmp(model,"EX-P600"))". Here are the lines that must be replicated for Z50. So, after the P600 section,add lines like:

} else if (!strcmp(model,"EX-Z50")) {
height = 1932;
width = 2602;
raw_width = 3904;
load_raw = packed_12_load_raw;

The height and width parameters can be reduced if the final image has non-active pixels at the far sides.

About the pre_mul parameters: it seems they are used in generating the correct colors from the 12 bit encoded file. I think they are specific to every CCD so the P600 parameters will not apply to Z50. But you have the following alternative:

- compile dcraw without setting them and use dcraw - a on your image. But this process means AWB. And if you run dcraw -a -v it will tell you the calculated pre_mul parameters. In order now to use some primary pre_mul parameters in the source file you must find them by making an AWB on a whitephoto taken under the sunlight. dcraw - a - v will tell you pre_mul parameters, enter them in the dcraw.c EX-Z50 section then recompile.

Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:27 AM   #19

Thanks you Gic! I already found how to add Z50 to dcraw but now I also found how to find pre_mul params! Once I'll have all correct settings I'll give it to the community!

I was also trying to find a way to add Z50 support to raw2nef and raw2nef+, but I don't know who I have to contact to tell Z50 parameters... raw2nef seems to be quite useful to use our raw files under Photoshop and other commercial programs (dcraw can convert a raw to psd... but not make interactive adjust to the photo)
Old Feb 28, 2005, 5:32 AM   #20

Those should be Z50 params for dcraw:
height = 1932;
width = 2602;
raw_width = 3904;
load_raw = packed_12_load_raw;
pre_mul[0] = 2.137272;
pre_mul[2] = 1.163672;
file size = 7542528
I've tryed with GIMP plugins and all worked fine! (maybe also my pre_mul prams aren't really correct)
UFRaw seems to work very well with those params!

Thanks you again Gic