Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Mar 24, 2005, 7:26 PM   #11

Do any of the small digitals offer optical zoom while making a video ?
lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 3:46 PM   #12

No, for some reason, optical zoom is unheard of in movie mode. I do believe that a couple of models offer digital zoom in movie mode, which should be almost as good anyway since you're only working with VGA resolution.

I'm still waiting for an MPEG 4 VGA movie mode with optical zoom and image stabilizaiton (hint hint to any marketing types...)
bluespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 3:35 PM   #13

Casio has just posted some samples on their webste for the Exilim EX-Z750:

http://world.casio.com/exilim/en/ex_z750/gallery.html

These look very soft-almost "brushed" which there is very little detail in the photos. In the scenery photo you cannot see pine needles despite it being a very close up portion of the picture and on the portrait it's really soft looking and absent fine details you would expect to see with a 7 megapixel camera. Very disappointed to say the least.

Examples on Canon's website for the SD500 in contrast look amazingly sharp, bright, and detailed. Really--no comparison as the SD500 pictures seem as sharp as the Minolta A200 8 megpixel and Nikon 8800 (also 8 megapixel) camera pictures which are much more expensive.

I hate to say it but it looks like Casio blew it on the 5 megapixel upgrade to 7 megapixels by focusing completely on making it "fancy" with numerous scene and movie modes but neglecting picture quality (I think the Z55 pictures are shaper than the new EX-Z750 from Casio).

Darn.

wowlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:56 PM   #14

I'm a newbie to the whole camera scene, but even I know that scenery mode on cameras have longer shutter speeds which lead to softer images.

No scenery pic on the SD500 site to compare to. Gotta compare apples to apples...
chnzshyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 2:07 PM   #15

Surprise. One does now! It's the Casio Exilim EX-Z750!

I contacted Casio Technical Support group (1-800-836-8580) and spoke with Nicole who "Live" tested the camera for me and assured me that the new Casio, with it's super silent zoom motor, will operate in both optical and digital zoom during movie recording.

This allows using the full 24x (3x optical/8x digital) zoom range during VGA movie recording (640x480 @ 30fps, unlimited).

That's a neat trick in a tiny 3.5x2.3x.88" package!!
Old Mar 30, 2005, 2:15 PM   #16

Sample pictures have been posted at Casio World's website at this link:

http://world.casio.com/exilim/en/ex_z750/gallery.html

These appear soft and over processed but what the hell the lady looks nice anyway!

In addition, a new feature has become apparent that Casio for some strange reason has not adequately communicated: you can use BOTH optical and digital zoom when recording a movie at any resolution!! That means VGA movies, at 30fps, with unlimited length anda combined 24x zoom!

Hey--don't take my word for it--contact Casio's Technical Support Group at1-800-836-8580 and ask for Nicole to confirm it yourself! She live tested the camera while I spoke and you can use both the optical and digital zoom during movie recording and at all resolutions.

Of course, your batterywill drain faster which is why on the website (Casio Europe) they indicate a maximum recording time in movie mode of 2 hours and 50 minutes with this asterik:

[align=right]****
Continuous Movie Recording without zoom.[/align]

Old Mar 30, 2005, 6:23 PM   #17

Wow, how about that. Optical zoom in movie mode...with 30 FPS VGA MPEG4! (how about that for consecutive acronyms). I believe that this the first and only camera to boast such specs, definitely making it the best compact movie camera out there.

It does lack a little when it comes to image quality though. Some blurring at the edges and lots of smoothing. You can definitely see the paintbrush effect in the picture of the mountain.

I am definitely awaiting a real review of the camera. If nothing else, the movie mode bar just got raised, which is always a good thing.
bluespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 9:34 PM   #18

I'm also waiting for a review on the Casio Z750. I'm stuck in choosing between it and SD500. Any opinions would be appreciated.
rbm143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 7:49 AM   #19

Sorry to say that Casio has retracted their initial claim via Nicole in customer service that the EX-Z750 can use optical zoom. G. Crooker at technical support level II says she was wrong. My apologies but Nicole didn't tell truth or doesn't know a record button from a play button!

In any event, some pics are being posted by new Casio 750 owners such as this one:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=12968984

I think the VGA movie mode myself is not very sharp--comparing that with the movies on Steves digicams for the Canon Powershot S1 and all the super zooms they are far superior to the Casio. It just is not a sharp video.

Pics are bad but soft. Perhaps some "camera shake" or ??

Colors seem good though.

Still it's a good bang for the buck as theCanon SD500 is more pricey and I returned mine which could not get a shot of indoors without the feared "blurred" camera shakes. And there is no aperture priority/shutter priority to customize your own settings so impossible to use without a tripod (for shaky old folks like myself).

Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:43 AM   #20

I wasn't very impressed by the video and stills either. So what camera do you buy? I thought I had it narrowed down between the sd500 and z750. I want tiny w/all the bells and whistles .....somebody help. I wish someone would review the z750.

rbm143 is offline   Reply With Quote