Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Apr 7, 2005, 8:37 PM   #21

Good question. Same here with my narrowing down to same two cameras.

I didpurchase the Canon SD500 but already returned that one. Just not enough control and too much shakes in auto and scene modes indoors.

Although I could use a compact like the Olympus C7000, Pentax 750Z, Canon S70--each of them has problems. The Olympus limits VGA video to 30 second clips. Worthless. The Canon S70 only records VGA at 10 fps. Worthless. The Pentax 750Z can't use the digital zoom at all in movie recording. Pentaxclaims you can during320x240 move mode--but may forum users complain that when you activate the zoom during recording it switches to elapsed time recording. That's a helluva software bug! Again, Worthless.

The Nikon 7900, Sony W7, and SD500 have no aperture/shutter priority. So if you get in situations where some manual control is needed your out of luck. Some of these don't even have a real manual focus. Worthless again no matter how well they work in bright sunlight.

That's why I was so much interested in the Casio which it's the only ultra compact 7 megapixel camera that has so much manual control and at the same time so many scene modes for both beginners and more advanced users (a good hubby/wife or kids camera).

Now from a couple of posted pics/movies it looks like the Casio might not be as good quality as we hoped for and our choices are becoming limted. I guesssome of us will just have to wait 6 months to a year and hope something better comes along in the ultra compact field that really lives up to it's promises.

It's possible a potential gem might be on the horizon this summer if Canon releases an updated S1 (S2?). That camera now is only 4" x3.2" x 2.6" and just a big moretweaking could get it down to 4" x 2.5" x 2.0" and still have an 8x to 10X zoom and finally 6 to 8 megapixels. I could live with 4x2.5x2" if it has image stabilization, 10x zoom, 7 or more megapixels!! Definitely! And the Canon S1 has many many controls (almost like an SLR). Even an underwater case, remote, and lens threads (will accept an 8x RCH lens for 80 x optical!).

The Canon S1 actually has a very good 3 megapixel resolution and by using 10x optical in movie and pic mode that helps a bunch.It's also very cheap at $290 now. I just bought one and hedging bet the S2 won't be out until late fall or next year.

But back to the Casio EX-Z750. I have ordered a couple for testing. So I won't make any more judgements until I get mine and test it extensively. When I do I will try to post mulitple movie shots and pics with bracketing (varying parameters so you can see how the pics can be improved or not).

At least then I can comparethe Sony, Canon, and Casio directly which I returned the Canon (still have pics on my PC) and friend has Sony W7.

Sure wish Steves digicams would review the Casio but as he recently did a review on the Casio P700 so I doubt he will review another Casio for a while. Darn.AndDCresources is not planning on reviewing the Casio in thenear future either. Maybe Dpreview will????

If you users out there have the Casio keep posting! And please post some movies using thezoom in bright and in poor lighting so we can see how bad the noise will be!

wowlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 1:53 AM   #22

wowlfie, what about the Samsung V700? Seems to have about the same specs as the Casio EX-Z750: 7.1 Mpixel, 38-114mm lens, 2.0 inch LCD, MPEG-4 at 640x480 30fps...

It also has some kind of electronic antishake for movie mode. Unfortunately it's not ultracompact, but still quite compact at 105 x 56.5 x 29.5 mm. Maybe it's not as fast either, I don't know...
oskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 3:04 PM   #23

Just bought a Panasonic FX7. Optical Image Stabilization...very nice Movie mode sucks, but the price is right and image quality is exceptionally good for an ultra compact. Down to about $300 now. Check out dcresource.com for a review.
bluespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 5:09 PM   #24

That's software interpolation to clean up--it's not a lens or CCD anti-shake mechanical system to dampen or reduce vibrations from user or movement.

It also has no AF lamp (will be hard to focus indoors without it).

I don't trust Samsung for camer manufacture anyway and the thing is UGLY! Looks like it would slip slide away from uses grip!
Old Apr 8, 2005, 5:31 PM   #25

bluespot wrote:
Quote:
Just bought a Panasonic FX7. Optical Image Stabilization...very nice Movie mode sucks, but the price is right and image quality is exceptionally good for an ultra compact. Down to about $300 now. Check out dcresource.com for a review.

Yes 320x240 movie mode sucks and is worthless you can only use for email or web pages which displaying on TV looks like crap.

The Casio movie samples are out on their website and they look pretty darn good:

http://world.casio.com/exilim/en/ex_z750/gallery.html

Don't know if regular users can get that good of video quality but if so then that would make the Casio something special indeed.

They also show one example with panning. That seems to work well too (2X to 3X).

But the model 4-putting the green had better stick to modeling as her golfing is atrocious!

I ordered a couple of the Casio Exilim EX-Z750's and they should be arriving by FedEx on Monday afternoon. I will try to post some pics with some braketing to show it's abilities and some movies with panning to maximum in bright sunlight and indoors and in near darkness.

Old Apr 8, 2005, 6:20 PM   #26

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I was not able to play the sample movie on my Mac, using Mac OSX. I got the following message on that link:"Movie playback is not supported on a Macintosh." Any suggestions?
gjugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 8:20 PM   #27

I found this link in another forum (dpreview.com) for a feeware converter named ffmpegx:

http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

It's a freeware avi to mov converter so you can convet the images into a format that can be viewed on Apples Quick Time. There is also a freeware Mplayer2 that can be used to view the files on a MAC. However, if you do that then you still can't use iMovie and incorporate it. So download the ffmpegx and then you can do anything you usually do on a MAC. Myself, I know nothing about MACS!!!
Old Apr 9, 2005, 8:29 PM   #28

In my opinion, the best player for the mac is VLC, even though I prefer Mplayer on my Linux box. Both Mplayer and VLC should be able to handle whatever you throw at them

BTW, those clips were pretty good. I must, however, say that I was rather disappointed by the pictures though.
CrimsonScythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:02 PM   #29

I was initially excited about the posts here about the ex-Z750 but after looking at the pics and the movies on their webste versus what a few others have posted, I'm dissappointed. My Dimage Z2's movie mode with 10x zoom (though not silent) is still better than this camera's quality as far as I can tell. But theirmovie on casio's site sure looked good especially the two girls with the rabbit. Now thatthere's a couple of first and second generation digital movie cameras out now (which lack the tapes hooray!) and double as a low resolution cameras the gap between movie quality and picture quality is narrowing. Can't wait for that reasonalble do it all device with MPEG4 10x zoom antishake movie camera which can also take high resolution stills. Cmon you know they're coming soon for the demand is there right? Salivating... cya myotis.......
myotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 1:47 PM   #30

myotis wrote:
Quote:
I was initially excited about the posts here about the ex-Z750 but after looking at the pics and the movies on their webste versus what a few others have posted, I'm dissappointed. My Dimage Z2's movie mode with 10x zoom (though not silent) is still better than this camera's quality as far as I can tell. But theirmovie on casio's site sure looked good especially the two girls with the rabbit. Now thatthere's a couple of first and second generation digital movie cameras out now (which lack the tapes hooray!) and double as a low resolution cameras the gap between movie quality and picture quality is narrowing. Can't wait for that reasonalble do it all device with MPEG4 10x zoom antishake movie camera which can also take high resolution stills. Cmon you know they're coming soon for the demand is there right? Salivating... cya myotis.......

I would bet on the Canon Powershot S1 replacement to do everything. It's over due and the old S1 was terrific camera and ahead of it's time. Great video. Great pics (for 3 megapixels). Expect the S2 to be even slimmer into compact category instead of the approah by Panasonic, Sony, and Minolta with about 3.2"- 3.5" thick (lens) cameras (the S1 was only 2.6") and expect the S2 to be 2.0 - 2.4" deep as they continue to shrink these things (including lens). If it's 2.2" or less you can drag it around on an Armband and take it everywhere which that's a damn portable high resolution camera if they get it done (possibly close to size of Pentax 750Z or Canon S70). With full features same as S1 (which has everything just about except macro).

Any bets anyone?