Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Apr 11, 2005, 5:51 PM   #31

No doubt the S1 is an incredible camera and no doubt its replacement will be even better. However, I wouldn't expect it to get significantly smaller given all the dream goodies so many folks seem to want crammed into its next version. In fact, it just may grow a bit!

Secondly, a comparison of the diminuitive Casio Z750 to an SLR shaped camera like the S1 is really an apples to mellons comparison. The little Casios are intended to be true shirt pocket style cameras, whereas the S1 family will probably never fit in a shirt pocket. But I do have to agree . . . the S1 is sweet.
Dark Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 3:44 PM   #32

What about Panasonic ?FX8?. Any news on the successor of fx7? I know there's a slim fx7, but I hope it's not it. Panasonic uses matsushita ccds, and none of them had more than 5 mpxs. Hope the fx8 will be 7mpx with a 1/1.8" ccd. I really like the pictures of the fx7, very natural and sharp, but have a bit too much noise, which would be improved using a1/1.8" 7mpxccd (iso50 would be nice). You cannot see almost any purple fringing on panasonic cams. I hope that it'll have an mpeg4 movie mode like casio does. Hoping for a bit stronger flash, and less power consumption. And better night mode would be needed as well, like 60 sec shutter time (I can't believe it's not just firmware!). Could anyone tell me: can you manually set the iso to 80 when using OIS at e.g. 1/2, or when using flash?
stema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 1:14 AM   #33

Stema . . . all good questions and concerns but you might get a prompter response if you post these same questions in the Panasonic Forum. You are currently in the Casio Forum. I do think the Panasonic FX7 has potential with the O.I.S. It is now a year old and an upgrade should be forthcoming. My guess would probably be this summer. Nothing was announced at CES or PMA this year so far. The next round of new cameras should be this summer. I would expect to see the new Canon S2 about the same time period. If Panasonic can indeed cram all that you mentioned into that camera and keep the same form factor then they will really have something! We shall see . . .

:|
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:56 AM   #34

Sorry for writing here, butmuch of those changes would be obvious.
stema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 9:13 AM   #35

Will Steve be reviewing this camera soon?

I notice he's recently reviewed the EX-Z57.

I already have a 750 but it's nice to see if Steve thinks it's good or not
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:44 PM   #36

I certainly wouldn't presume to speak for Steve, but my suspicion is he's got one right now and is in the process of testing it. He has pretty much in the past respected and acknowledged Casio's ultra compacts as very good cameras for their given intent and mission. I think he'll probably find the Z750 to be very good as well. I hope he includes a line in his review regarding his personal choice between the Casio Z750 vs the Canon SD500.

But we'll all have to wait to hear from him officially. I know a lot of people "World Wide" are waiting to hear from him as well as from "dpreview". They weild a lot of power in that they can "make or break" a camera for the manufacturers. I've come to respect Steve's opinions the most.

"Steve . . . we're all waiting . . . but take your time and get it right as you always do." LOL

Old Apr 22, 2005, 4:45 AM   #37

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't presume to speak for Steve, but my suspicion is he's got one right now and is in the process of testing it. He has pretty much in the past respected and acknowledged Casio's ultra compacts as very good cameras for their given intent and mission. I think he'll probably find the Z750 to be very good as well. I hope he includes a line in his review regarding his personal choice between the Casio Z750 vs the Canon SD500.

But we'll all have to wait to hear from him officially. I know a lot of people "World Wide" are waiting to hear from him as well as from "dpreview". They weild a lot of power in that they can "make or break" a camera for the manufacturers. I've come to respect Steve's opinions the most.

"Steve . . . we're all waiting . . . but take your time and get it right as you always do."
I agree totally. More then ever I need more reviews on the Z750 to evaluate image quality against SD500.
Features apart, I think a 7MP digicam should use the potential image quality, otherwise I prefer a good 4MP cam.
chrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:13 AM   #38

The video sample on Steve's SD500 review was 17mb for only 9 seconds. My EX-Z750 does over a minute for only 32mb at the same res and frame rate. I'm sure the Casio video looks better too.

I wonder why the SD500 files are so large :?:
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:16 AM   #39

There not saved as mpeg4 files. Much better compression with mpeg4 with near same quality.
wowlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:42 PM   #40

"Wowlife" is absolutely correct. MPEG4 is a far more effeicient compression scheme that dramatically reduces video file size while preserving an excellent video image. The only slight drawback for the manufactuer's is that in order to provide this new compression scheme to us, they have to pay a licensing fee to the creators of that format.

Manufacturer's like Casio have seen the wisdom in providing this format despite the extra expense. Sadly, other even larger manufacturer's like Canon have not! Canon's new S2 (just released) still does not utilize MPEG4 and that IMHO will eventually turn out to be a blunder. They are already paying the price in not having it incorporated into their ultra compact SD500. In the world of video recordings, size footprint is a major factor. Having a format that is multiple times smaller with practically the same quality and failing to provide it is a mistake.