Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:56 AM   #41

I realize this is the Casio forum but speaking of the Canon S1 vs the S2 as we previously were in an above post, the S2 in fact did grow in size as I predicted with the incorporation of the upgrades. Here are the specs:

S1 = 111 x 78 x 66 mm (4.4 x 3.1 x 2.6 in)

S2 = 113 x 78 x 76 mm (4.5 x 3.1 x 3.0 in)

Dark Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:19 AM   #42

One thing I personaly found important is to have a docking station ( DS ) for the camera. Please note that the Canon ( as far as I know ) dosnt have this !

I had a Powershot A40. Two months ago I got a casio S100 which has docking station. It is realy a releaf to use DS than to plug in this USB connecter every time, and to remove the batteries for recharge.

Im waiting for my new Z750 ( it has the MPEG4 video ).
viking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:01 AM   #43

"Wowlife" is absolutely correct. MPEG4 is a far more effeicient compression scheme that dramatically reduces video file size while preserving an excellent video image. "The only slight drawback for the manufactuer's is that in order to provide this new compression scheme to us, they have to pay a licensing fee to the creators of that format.

Manufacturer's like Casio have seen the wisdom in providing this format despite the extra expense. Sadly, other even larger manufacturer's like Canon have not! Canon's new S2 (just released) still does not utilize MPEG4 and that IMHO will eventually turn out to be a blunder. They are already paying the price in not having it incorporated into their ultra compact SD500. In the world of video recordings, size footprint is a major factor. Having a format that is multiple times smaller with practically the same quality and failing to provide it is a mistake.

Last edited on Fri Apr 22nd, 2005 06:47 pm by Dark Cobra"

Very good point Dark Cobra. I baught the Casio S100 two months ago - but missed the MPERG4, still I found that the S100 was the best ultra compact camera at that moment. Im waiting for the Z750 to arrive next week, interesting to see the difference in size and picture quality. The much much better video quality is ovious. The AVI in S100 was just acceptable, and only if played in a fairly small window. I think ( hope ) that fine+HQ will be sufficient quality on my TV, ( no more camcorders ) - next week will show :-)

And - I still find that this docking station is an important feature - I realy dont understand why Canon still dosnt deliver a docking station for their ultra compact cameras :?:

And - I agree with an earlier post on this site.
WE NEED MPEG4 VIDEO WITH ZOOM CAPABILITY PLEASE :idea:
viking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 4:29 PM   #44

I finally took the plunge and bought the Casio EX-Z750 to replace my Nikon 5200 Coolpix altho' I am still keeping my Canon G5 and Nilkon D70. The Z750 is an absolutely FAB camera!! Compact, FAST! FAST! and takes great images. Initially I was hesitant to buy it due to the Pentax lens but the features and high MP won out and I don't regret the purchase for a second! I take it everywhere - take a look at my first outing with it at : http://alpha788.myphotoalbum.com

Let me have your comments - good and bad!

Cheers! :-)
alpha788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 12:45 AM   #45

hi, i just purchased the ex-z750 and it arrived today. It looks great, the size is great, the 2.5inch screen is great. I paid about $410 for it. I've been playing with it for a little bit and I noticed a few things. When I switch to movie mode, the camera makes this buffering noise at random times during the recording. I don't know what it is but it's loud enough so that when I try and record a movie, the noise sticks out like a sore thumb. But if i switch it to BestShot movie mode, it's completely normal. I'm not sure if the buffering noise is the focus or whatever, but it's really a downer for this camera. So that means either I have to find a way to turn it off, or always film on best shot movie mode.

Actually, it seems to have stopped now. I don't know what it was before. Hopefully it doesn't come back? If it comes back i'll let you guys now. Maybe it was a one time out of the package kind of thing. Has anyone else had this problem? And how to fix?

Anyway, does anyone know a decent SD card for this? What speed of SD card should I look for? I'm looking to buy a 1gb sd card and i'm not sure what an appropriate speed for the camera is, considering best quality pictures are 4.4mb in size. Also consider the 640x480 HQ recording mode... So any suggestions on a decent SD card? Thanks!
cliqstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 7:19 AM   #46

cliqstr wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure if the buffering noise is the focus or whatever
Well the focus does make a really noticeable sound ont he audio. It is unacceptable, so that may well be your problem.

Just select "Pan Focus" (meaning everything is in focus and nothing do to with camera panning. That confused me when I first got the Z750 )
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 2:25 PM   #47

thanks for the tip. Sounds like a good idea.

hmm... any more suggestions on a good SD card though? I just ordered the RiData 1gb sd card from new egg. I couldn't wait to hear responses from this forum because it had an expiring rebate on it so i had to jump on it asap. and i needed an sd card asap since i'm only working with the 8.2mb storage without it. it says 66x.. i'm not sure how that translates in terms of how good it is with the ex-z750. if there are better suggestions or serious problems with this card, i'll return it asap. please let me know guys! Thanks!

And do you guys know anything about the manual? The only booklet that came with my camera is a Basic Reference that's about 100 pages thick. But the only thing it's good for is if you want to brush up on your dutch, french, spanish, italian, swedish, or nederland (netherland-speak.. not sure what that language in english is called). this is seriously only a booklet that's 15 pages long translated 7 times. However it is useful because I learned things like "Precaution" in swedish is "Forsiktighetsatgarder." This educational moment was brought to you by the good people at Casio Inc. in part with Casio Computer Co., Ltd.
Old May 1, 2005, 2:50 PM   #48

Hi - the detailed manual is on the CD. Just go into "explore" when you click on your CD drive in "My Computer". Its a PDF file which I just saved to my hard drive for reference since it has too many pages to print!

I got a Sandisk Ultra II SD card off of ebay for my Z750 and it works like a charm and gives me about 600 shots at high quality setting.

Check out my photos I took a few days ago in my posting a few up from this reply.

Cheers
Old May 1, 2005, 2:56 PM   #49

thanks alpha for the info about the manual. i should really explore my goods before i start asking pointless questions. sorry. i just got so excited over this camera that i got yesterday and excited that i found a forum of owners with good advice.

hmm.. ultraII.. I was going to ebay that one about 80 after shipping. but i found a Ridata 1gb sd on newegg for $68 shipped after rebate. Plus newegg arrives in about 2 days when in CA. So because i'm so eager to get my camera going, i HAD to buy it. all i can find out about the Ultra II is that it transfers at 9MBps. This seems like a really good speed for 4.4MB shots (I guess .5 seconds per shot). The RiData 1GB that I purchased says 66x. How does 66x translate into mbps? Or the ultraII in terms of write speed (##x)? I just want to know if the RiData can par up to the ultraII so that I know it will be fine for the z750. Thanks!

Thanks for the quick responses guys. 30 minutes wow!
and nice pictures alpha! I can't wait to start taking more of my own when my sdcard arrives.
Old May 1, 2005, 2:57 PM   #50

:-) Forgot to mention that the Sandisk Ultra II SD card was 2GB