Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old May 15, 2005, 12:55 PM   #81

One correction in an excellent review. When the Flash Assist (built in software) is enabled, the flash range is extended significantly.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 1:11 AM   #82

Hey guys, has anyone evaluated or noticed anything about red eye on this camera? I am thinking of returning my Nikon S1 because of a few problems, although it's a great camera, and getting the EX-Z750, although at its price it seems almost too good to be true. The one thing I'll miss about the Nikon, other than its sexy look, is that it has a great red eye reduction system. D-lighting (digital flash) sucks, makes too much noise compared to lightening with photosoftware on the computer, and the face priority focus is nice but not essential. But red eye is very important, so how's the Ex-Z750 at eliminating it? CNET.com gavethis cameraa 7.6, which is high for them, especially for an Exilim which they tend to be hard on, and said it had fixed the image quality problems of the earlier Exilims.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Casio_Exilim...1319589-2.html
a4phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 5:22 AM   #83

I may be lucky, but with my 3 month old blue eyed grandchild I have not had any red-eye problem yet.
Old May 16, 2005, 8:10 AM   #84

Hi - Have been a follower of this site for some time but only just joined and this is my first post.

I took the plunge and bought the Z750 last week (before Steves review) and so far I am very pleased with it - my Z40 is now going to my wife! (except when I need REALLY close macro shots - see below)

The ergonomics are fine, the lens is plenty sharp (for its size), the MPEG4 movie mode is very acceptable, manual control is a plus- I agree it does not "look" quite as eye-catching as some of the previous models though - I wonder how durable the "brushed" aluminium finish will prove to be?

One word of warning, if you have used one of their previous Exilim Z models - the macro close focus is only down to about 100mm at Wide setting - this is my only disappointment so far - as the Z40 seemed to work with the lens almost touching the subject. Also I don't think the flash is controlled quite so well at close range - again compared to the Z40 - but put in perspective - I briefly tried the Fuji F10 and the Panasonic TX7 and they both appear not to have any flash control at close range - total white out!

Finally, if I may, just acouple of corrections to the excellent review:

1) The LCD does not show an icon for SD or internal memory

2) The playback zoom is upto 8x (not 4x)

3) There is NOT an option to create an HTML album - at least not in my menus and there is no mention of it in the manual - a shame really as the Z40 did have this function and it was most useful for emailing photograpic "reports" to colleagues etc.

I think it's a great camera and complements my Panasonic FZ10 quite nicely (I'd love an FZ20 - but I can't have too many cameras on the shelf!)

Hope that is of interest?

luxsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 12:01 PM   #85

Well jimr, you're certainly lucky to have the new grandchild! Congratulations. Glad to hear about the absence of redeye . . . doesthe ExZ750do the typical three pre-flashes to dilate the pupil? Does it process in-camera to eliminate Red Eye?

Next question: Still, too good to be true? Why is Casio releasing a 7mp camera at a competitive price to the competition's 5mp cameras with equal or better functions and dimensions? Is this a brilliant break-through for Casio, or are they skimping on something? I know the SD500 is comparable, but considerably more expensive.
Old May 16, 2005, 12:03 PM   #86

I'm a total novice here but I'm in the market for a camera and have narrowed my choice to the Z750 or the SD500.

I really want to choose the Casio for its greater functionality but after comparing the sample photos of each camera on DCResource.com I'm not sure I can justify that choice. The Canon photos just look miles better to me.

Is this a fair comparison? Am I really comparing like to like? What does everyone else think?

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca.../gallery.shtml

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca.../gallery.shtml
yocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 12:47 PM   #87

Actually I must say I am disappointed with Steve's review. I think it is rushed and he has copied material over from the Z57 review assuming this camera to tbe the same.

For whatever reason, Casio have not provided the same options as some of their other cameras.

1) As I pointed out in another post, the Bestshot methods are higher in count thant he Z57 (30) but do not include some of the memory intensive options like preshot and couple shot

2) There is no HTML album creation function. However, it does look like the supplied software for the PC, can do this anyway (I have not tried it, but the user guide points to a facility like this)

In addition to this, the specifications for the camera listed on Casio's website are not acurate. As I pointed out in another post, colour filters are detailed, but actually the camera does not have the menu option. (There is a workaround)

Additionally one site (Casio UK) even referred to an external flash socket. Am I missing where it is located?

Jonathan
jonstatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 4:30 PM   #88

Other comparisons have the 750 images superior. In reality, I doubt if you'd see a difference in an 11 x 14. They both use the same wonderful 7 MP Sony sensor.

The SD 500 has a very serious omission. No high speed program...None. The kids and pets program is just a continuous AF mode. No shutter priority. Few image parameter controls. If you need to take pictures of moving subjects....children playing...the Canon SD 500 gives you NO mode to get a high shutter speed. A seriously crippled design by Canon.
Old May 16, 2005, 11:10 PM   #89

So true as we all discussed over at dpreview as well. Canon made a serious blunder in not allowing for any mode to seriously capture anything with motion. This limits the camera to pretty much still motion photography or really slow moving stuff. Couple the motion blur your going to get with the inherrent edge softness of this camera and you are NOT going to be happy.
Dark Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 1:33 AM   #90

What I don't understand is why Canon and Kodak and some toher camera lines cannot be used as audio recorders. They do movies with sound and let you attach 20, 30 or 60 second sound clips . . . why cap it? Why not let the audio go until you stop it? Obviously it's not critical to most people, or at least a lot of reviews don't even mention it, but I would have bought a Canon SD something months ago if they had voice recording.