Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Mar 8, 2005, 4:18 AM   #1

I've been holding out on buying a replacement digital camera for a couple years now, ever since our Kodak DC-260 died for the final time. It was about a year ago that I came across this fabulous site and have been an avid fan ever since. Thanks to the many wonderful reviews, articles, news & links I was able to nail down what features I wanted in a digicam then I just waited for the day a review would match up to my list. It came in the form of the P600 (not a typo) but by the time I was able to afford to get into one (camera, Memory cards, reader, batteries) the holidays were approaching and I knew there'd be deals to be had, so it would pay to wait a bit longer. Then I read on here that the P700 was on its way, aha, post holidays + new model = P600 even cheaper!
Everything came together last week and I went searching for my new camera only to find that I was able to get the P700 for only $20 more than the P600...back to Steve's I go to see if I missed something in the dozen times I had read and reread the reviews of the P600 & P700.
Bolstered by the knowledge from this awesome site I am now the proud owner of a P700 with nary a twange of buyers remorse.
Thank you very much for the excellent and consistent reviews.
Whenever anyone asks (usually a salesman) how I know so much about digital cameras I just point them to this website and tell them to take some time to get to know your review style.

Sincerely,
DanT.

edit - Ever notice how long it takes to recharge a battery when you have a new toy? :G
DanTanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:09 PM   #2

I'm waiting for my P700 right now! I looked at the reviews here and at DPReview. After my Canon G2 I already knew a lot of the features I was looking for. Small, but not too small. More resolution, Good images, Easy to use interface (I'm just not an experienced photographer, I'm in it for the fun!), and the ability to use add on lenses.

Alas, it was supposed to be here this afternoon, but it looks like a delay from FedEx! (so much for 2-day delivery... sigh)

Keep us posted on how your pictures turn out Dan!
rafman448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 12:32 AM   #3

Always fun to be expecting something and running to the door everytime you hear a delivery truck slowing down and we think it's funny when a pet runs into the kitchen at the sound of the can opener.

With a trip coming up at the end of the month I decided to buy another battery and memory card.

I tried to give some business to my local photo stores by buying a secondary battery and memory card however none of them carried the battery or the type of memory card I wanted so ended up buying online. I'm currently using a Sandisk 1gb SD card and while it's working fine I do notice that after two or three shots it's taking a bit more time to process. I tried to find a Sandisk 1gb Extreme III SD card but it looks like they are sold out everywhere. I ended up ordering a Sandisk 512mb Ultra II and will see how much of a difference it makes.

As far as battery life goes I would have to say it's excellent. I charged it up the first time as recommended and have yet to register ANY use of the battery, it's still showing full green. Now I haven't taken many pictures (26) but I have used the LCD quite a bit to go through all the menus and settings. Plus over half of those pictures were flash pictures. I really thought hard before buying an extra battery but in the end it just makes sense to have one on hand, charged up in case something goes wrong with the other. Especially after I had no luck finding one in-stock anywhere.

The camera is taking wonderful pictures however I have yet to point it at anything interesting enough to share.

I thought the printed manual was pretty skimpy until I found the full manual on the included CD then I looked at the printed version and it's titled "basic reference" which is exactly what it is. Actually after reading Steve's review ofboth the Exilim Pro's there wasn't much more to learn from the official manual but I read it anyway since I was waiting for the battery to charge hehe.

Currently I'm trying to build a panorama mount for it as I've always enjoyed taking overlapping photo's with my point & shoots and then laying them all out. Now I can lock the exposure and get some really nice ones, well, once I figure out where the nodal point is on this camera and get that translated to a mount.

Still loving my P700,
DanT.

Edit - I hooked up an external flash and it seemed to fire just fine however I am still in the process of turning on the right settings to keep the pictures from being overexposed, it's my lack of photo experience not a ding on the camera.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 4:47 AM   #4

DanTanna wrote:
Quote:
Currently I'm trying to build a panorama mount for it as I've always enjoyed taking overlapping photo's with my point & shoots and then laying them all out. Now I can lock the exposure and get some really nice ones, well, once I figure out where the nodal point is on this camera and get that translated to a mount.
I've been very tempted to get a P-600, and have had my hands on one in my local camera shop, so I envy you. I've decided I can't justify the expenditure to the family.

With my Casio QV-5700, I've got my best panorama shots by eye, whizzing on to the next quickly, and hand held (with fixed manual exposure and a big overlap). If you don't do that (i.e., don't shoot quickly), the lighting has an unpleasant habit of changing during the sequence, so that your fixed exposure counts for nothing. Of course this doesn't apply in stable lighting. The QV-5700 has a 'panorama' facility, displaying the right hand edge of the preceding shot as a transparent overlay on the monitor screen's left-hand edge. Maybe your P-700 has this facility. I don't use it anymore, because it's too difficult to see on the monitor, and the overlap isn't enough.

If you have decent stitching software, (all mine was free), accuracy of orientation isn't that important.

Perhaps we should dicuss this in the 'panoramas and stitching' forum not far from here.

Have fun with your new camera, and I look forward to seeing the results now & again.

Good luck, Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 11:44 PM   #5

That's an excellent point and one I will keep in mind, Alan.

Sounds like an interesting feature on your camera. I don't believe the P700 has that ability. It does something called Coupling Shot "Coupling Shot lets you record images of two people and combine them into a single image." - not exactly a feature I see myself using <shrug>.

Moving the panorama comments and questions to the other forum you mentioned.

DanT.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 1:14 PM   #6

My P700 is here! I've only had a little time to run through some tests, but so far it looks good to me. The only "issues" so far are:

Color balance-
It can easily turn purple items a bright blue. As a check, I compared with my Canon G2. It does the same thing! I'm not worried about this as (clearly) I never noticed it in my G2. Also, I found that with the right settings, the P700 did a better job with deep purple/blue.

No USB connection with my PC. I'm not sure if this is the camera or the lovely Windows XP service pack 2 which has shut down several of my other applications such as Canon Zoom browser. I may yet try to uninstall/reinstall Zoom browser. The SD card was instantly recognized by Photo Loader, so I may not worry to much about this with my PC.

The real concern is if there is a problem with the USB port on my P700...

Just tried in my Mac at work, and it was no problems. Downloaded the files in a jiffy. Once again OSX trumps WinXP!
(damn SP2! What were you thinking Bill?)

I'll keep testing the camera and let you guys know what I find. So far the menu system is a snap, wonderfully easy to use. And it fits into my back pack or jacket pocket easily.

Cheers! Rafael
rafman448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:23 PM   #7

DanTanna wrote:
Quote:
"Coupling Shot lets you record images of two people and combine them into a single image." - not exactly a feature I see myself using <shrug>.
I think this may fall foul of the censor, somehow! The mind boggles. Must take a cold shower (if I had one).
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 9:29 AM   #8

Hi - did you get to the bottom of the problem with the usb connection - I seem to have the same problem with win xp pro and exilim pro p700 - my pc doesn't see the camera via the usb cable connection - very annoying - could it be that it needs to run off mains ac adaptor to use usb cable?

Thanks - Will
will is offline   Reply With Quote