Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Mar 26, 2005, 4:16 AM   #1

Hi guys,

I just bought one of these cameras on eBay and although it seems to work perfectly, I can't figure out how to use one of the options in the "best shot" menu.

It is the one where you can take a picture of 2 objects or people and they will appear to be side by side, even though they were never in the same picture at the same time.

(It's a bit hard to describe, lol)

I want to do a picture of a single person but show her as a twin, if that makes sense.

I have searched the paper manual and the on-line manual but although the option is mentioned, there is no description of what steps to take to make it work.

Any clues appreciated.

Steve.
Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2005, 4:59 PM   #2
Administrator

Casio has a coupling shot mode (selectable on the mode dial) in some of their cameras.

AFAIK, the first camera to support this feature was the Casio QV-R4 (introduced in fall 2002).

I do not believe the older Casiomodels like the QV-2900UX (which was introduced the previous year) have this feature.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 7:34 PM   #3

Mmm, Are you trying to tell me that although the software, paper manual, online manual, Steve's own review of the camera and the view through the LCD are all wrong? lol
Old Mar 26, 2005, 7:44 PM   #4
Administrator

Parrot wrote:
Quote:
Mmm, Are you trying to tell me that although the software, paper manual, online manual, Steve's own review of the camera and the view through the LCD are all wrong? lol
I don't know where you're seeing the mention of the feature you're describing (which is the "Coupling Shot" feature). This is not the same thing as the Best Shot modes.

The first time this feature was introduced was on the QV-R4 (over a year after your model was introduced).

Steve noted it as follows in it's review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/qvr4.html

Two new innovative features:

• Coupling Shot - Makes it possible for two people to be included in the same image, even when they are the only people around. Person A records Person B on one side of the image. A transparent view of the first image remains on the monitor screen so Person B can use it to compose the other side and record Person A. Only the second image is stored in camera memory
    Pre-Shot - With this feature you can compose the background you want and record it. A transparent view of the background image remains on the monitor screen so you can ask someone to record you against the background, using the monitor screen image as a guide. Only the second image is stored in camera memory.

If you look on the second page of the review (discussing features and controls), you'll see that there is a dedicated position on the mode dial for the Coupling Shot mode (that is separate from the Best Shot Mode).

Your QV-2900UXwas manufacturered before the feature was introduced by Casio (with the QV-R4 being the first model to get it).

Old Mar 26, 2005, 8:04 PM   #5

Hi,

I know I'm new to this camera and I have taken a bit of time to figure out some of the details but let me try to ewxplain.

There is a Menu button on top of the camera. If I press that while in record mode, several options appear such as..... Normal, Portrait, Landscape, Night scene, Best shot etc. Navigating to the "best shot" option and clicking the shutter release gives me many different options including the coupling shot. If I press the shutter release I then get 2 human-like shapes in the LCD screen.

Logically, I would take one picture with the subject in the left frame and then put the subject in the right frame and take another picture. The problem is that having searched the internet, I found something that said I was doing the right thing but that when I went to take the second picture, a transparent overlay should appear so that i could get the second picture in the right place.

This didn't happen.

Sorry if I've been confusing.

Steve
Old Mar 26, 2005, 8:12 PM   #6

OK, I hold my hand up and apologise.

It looks as though I took the Best shot thing of 2 subjects to be as I described earlier but it MAY just mean taking a picture of 2 subjects who are physically side by side.

Ooops.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 8:19 PM   #7
Administrator

Parrot wrote:
Quote:
There is a Menu button on top of the camera. If I press that while in record mode, several options appear such as..... Normal, Portrait, Landscape, Night scene, Best shot etc. Navigating to the "best shot" option and clicking the shutter release gives me many different options including the coupling shot. If I press the shutter release I then get 2 human-like shapes in the LCD screen.
Steve, perhaps I'm wrong then (and this is part of the best shot modes).

From reading through Steve's review, it shows a separate position on the mode dial for it in the QV-R4, and his review also discussed the coupling shot as being a new feature.

That's why I was drawing the conclusions I did.

But, if you're seeing a coupling shot in your best shot mode, then I could be mistaken (and this feature was simply overlooked when the earlier models were reviewed).