Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Apr 9, 2005, 10:56 AM   #1

Hi all i am new to these forums but not to steves website.

I own a casio QV5700 5.0 mega pixel camera.

I use this camera all the time but just for basic pictures and i havent adjused any of the camera's setting. I also use a CF 256mb card.

My problem is when at night or when its getting dark outside if i take a picture my pictures are really bad as they are too dark even when the light outside is NOT too bad ( twilight ).

If i turn the flash on the picture is worse if the flash is off and i take a photo of a moving object ( someone walking past ) the picture is all tracered ( blured )

Is there a setting a can use to fix this for night photos ?

I have tried the bestshot nighttime selection BUT the camera must be on a tripod for best results or you get the tracered picture again and i cant have the camera on a tripod as i am normaly walking while taking a picture or i am standing still with people walking past me. and i need to be on the move all the time.

I hope someone can help me with this problem as the camera is great other than this

this picture was taken last night at around 8.10pm and it was still quite light

You can see how dark the photo is with the flash on

This photo was taken a few minutes later with the flash off you can see how light it still was BUT the picture is tracered and blured

I really hope someone can help.

Thanks Brian in Belfast
belfastlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2005, 3:15 AM   #2

belfastlad wrote:
Quote:
Hi all i am new to these forums but not to steves website.

I own a casio QV5700 5.0 mega pixel camera....i havent adjused any of the camera's setting. .......at night or when its getting dark outside if i take a picture my pictures are really bad as they are too dark even when the light outside is NOT too bad ( twilight ).........Is there a setting a can use to fix this for night photos ?
I have a QV-5700 as well. You're hitting a basic limitation of photography - it needs light. All you can do with your Casio that you haven't mentioned already is to turn up the ISO sensitivity. The default is ISO 50. You can turn it up and each doubling gives you twice as much light, effectively. However, you pay for it in terms of much grainier images due to electrical noise. The signal from the sensor is amplified for greater sensitivity, and it's like turning up the volume on a poor radio signal - You may be able to hear it, but it'll be rather scratchy.

To take good images of the type you require, you need to go back to a film camera and use a fast film as well as a tripod. Modern fast colour films are amazing. Cheap digicams aren't up to it yet, and even expensive ones will find it difficult.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote