Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:37 PM   #1

I wonder why Casio cameras never are ranked on top camera listings ?

viking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2005, 4:40 PM   #2

How are the listings generated? On sales?

Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 8:21 AM   #3

Good question Paul. Just find it odd that Casio never are listed on top list of reviews and cameras, all visiting this site and comparing Z50,Z55,Z57,Z750,S100 with any other competitor know that Casio cameras are as good as the best or at some points perhaps even better.
Old May 2, 2005, 11:36 AM   #4

Haven't a clue why Casio isn't one of the big competitors on the camera turf.
I got a Casio QV-R62 and I like it. It may have some quirks (movie mode only at 320x240, sometimes a slight drop-off in sharpness at the edges, high flash recycle time) but e.g. the range of options, low energy consumption, big LCD, fast focusing and even the built quality of the cam make it a "steal" on the market.

I like my Casio!
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 4:05 PM   #5

It seems like Casio lives in the shadow of Canon, Nikon, Sony etc. as a new commer in the market.

A new comer always have to be better to fight the established players, so in my opinion theoreticaly you get a better camera at a lower price when buying Casio.
Old May 17, 2005, 1:41 PM   #6

I concur that it is disappointing that there are not more reviews of the Casio's but I'm sure advertising revenue for the review sites from the big boys is partially responsible. Thanks to Steve's Digicams for bringing their products before us.

Both my son and I own 6 megapixel Casio QV-R62's. I also own a prosumer 5 megapixelOlympus C5050 with which to compare. To my mind, these little Casio's are a marvel of simplistic design for Point & Shoot owners using the KISS principle. Recognizing that there was so little space available on this small camera body, Casio wisely chose not to load it up with buttons. In fact, they could have also eliminated the On-Off button on top since both the Record and Playback buttons can be programmed to turn the camera On & Off anyway. Using memory to allow selectable features you want available on start-up is a bonus asare the programmable East/Westbuttons of the 4 way jog switch. I have mine set for +/- EV adjustment. Using low profile switches eliminates accidental activation while holding the camera. For such a tiny camera, it is actually rather pleasant to hold. The speed of operation isextremely impressive. Last Friday, I was at a big motorcycle event. I had my Olympus and my son had his Casio. He captured all kinds of photos I could only dream of since the moment of opportunityhad passed before I could get my camera fired up and a shot composed. Make no mistake, there are still specialty situations where I will call uponmy fully featuredOlympus but this little Casio is an amazing Point & Shoot camera. My wife (non-photographer) loves it. Took me about 3 minutes to show her everything she'll ever need to know about it. She's already taken some impressive shots with the Casio and many of her friends are asking where she got it. The Best Shot feature of the Casio, with it's large LCD panel capable of describing in text what the settings are actually doing, is a great aid to the novice photographer. The 3 shot self-timer mode is another neat feature for those large family gathering shots. Being able to boost the flash 2 full stops is another feature often lacking in more expensive cameras.

Over the years, I've found high value in many other Casio devices (watches, PDA's, etc.) and their QV-R62 digital camera has only re-inforced my opinion of the company's products. Well done Casio.

Clayton Root is offline   Reply With Quote