Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old May 2, 2005, 6:31 AM   #1

Hey, guys. I'm new here..please help giving me any advices. I have owned casio EX-z55 for a while But lately I got a canon SD500 for my graduation's gift. does anyone in here know which one is better in term if quality? and which one should I keep? I had canon s230 and it was broke after using it for like 3 years. so, i'm kinda had a bad experience with canon. Please help me, I'm willing to listen to any suggestion in here..

Thanks you so much..

Bebeeboi
bebeebpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2005, 8:10 AM   #2

They propably have more or less the same quality, stick with the camera you like best in terms of look and use.

A main difference is that Casio have docking station, which also charge the batteries. Canon does not have a docking station, which means you have to pull out the batteries frequently to recharge them !

Also look at LCD size.

( I think that Casio have a better reliability than Canon, but this is a very personal feeling - from reading posts on Canon cameras from various users on this site, especialy the LCD and the SD memory card seems to cause owners troubles ).
viking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 2:13 PM   #3

Thanks you so much Viking..

By reading the previous post in here. It's been said that sd500 got abetter quality of pic. LCD is moreclear, and plusit's 7.2 Megp too.

EX-z55, on the other hand, only has 5 megp. lighter andbig LCD.Whentakingin door and night shot, the picture is kinda blurry (not only by looking inLCD but alsoafter download intocomputer and print it out)...

I have read some other review on theweb as well, but still can'tdecide which one.

ex-z55
The Z55 has the sharpest images we've seen in a camera this size, a big LCD, Casio's great menus and features, and reasonable speed. But the images produced by this camera don't quite measure up to those of of the Canon Powershot SD300.
PROS
Sharp, well exposed images. Tiny and lightweight, extended battery life, very good menu functions, and wide variety of preset shooting configurations.
CONS
LCD blacks out while image is processed. Images show fall off at the edges of the frame, flash shots unevenly illuminated.

SD500

The SD500 is a versatile, accurate, fun 7MP compact camera that performed very well on our tests and will appeal to a broad section of shooters. We like it so much, we've awarded it our Editors' Choice.

PROS
Quick performer. Excellent image quality. Unique My Color feature. Good ergonomics. Sleek and attractive.
CONS
Macro mode did not produce good results. Flash had some problems in backlit situations.
Old May 2, 2005, 2:21 PM   #4

And here is another review from PC Magazin website.

EX-Z55

The Z55 is a very good camera, and it scores better than any ultra-compact we've seen, in terms of numbers. The images themselves are another story; while they're good (and by far the best ultracompact images we've seen from Casio) they can't quite compare to those of the Canon Powershot SD300.

SD500

Overall, we like this camera as much for its luxury car–like looks (think BMW 7 series) as for its impressive image quality. Add a couple of unusual features, and this versatile, fun camera wins our Editors' Choice.
Old May 2, 2005, 3:38 PM   #5

bebeebpo wrote:
Quote:
And here is another review from PC Magazin website.

EX-Z55

The Z55 is a very good camera, and it scores better than any ultra-compact we've seen, in terms of numbers. The images themselves are another story; while they're good (and by far the best ultracompact images we've seen from Casio) they can't quite compare to those of the Canon Powershot SD300.

SD500

Overall, we like this camera as much for its luxury car–like looks (think BMW 7 series) as for its impressive image quality. Add a couple of unusual features, and this versatile, fun camera wins our Editors' Choice.
I must say that I am rather confused by many reviews in terms of picture quality. They make all kinds of advanced picture tests, and tell this is better than that.

And do you know what - I cant see the difference if not compared closely side by side. So if I have to compare closely to see the difference, then why bother. Just buy the camera with the features you prefere, and the look and feel you like.

For example, they gave the Casio EX-S100 a picture quality sligtly below the Z55, but I descided to take the chance after comparing the various pictures taken by Steve using the EX-S100 and EX-Z55 side by side, and baught the EX-S100 becauce of its slimmer design.

Frankly speaking, when downloading a 7Meg picture taken by the Z750, I whatch it in a smaller size anyway on my 19" monitor, and if I want to print it on normal photo sized paper, I have to downsize the picture in my photo editor program to an extent that it realy dosnt matter if its a 3.2 Meg, 5Meg or 7Meg source file. You loose a lot of information in the picture anyway. I dare say, that once you have re-sized a picture to 200Kb, you cant see which camera originaly took the picture.

Propably the photo editor program you use determins the quality of the final picture much more than the source file pixelcount, does it have good algoritms or is it a free-ware program with primitive algoritmes for down sizing the picture file.

Only if you want to cut a small part of the picture and enlarge, we can talk about an advantage in bigger pixel count. I find that its now the optics that sets the limit in picture quality rather than pixelcount, It realy dosnt give you better picture quality if you use a 40Meg pixel camera or a 4Meg pixel camera, if the optics is small. 3.2Meg pixel count I find sufficient for 99% of my photo needs. If you need to enlarge a 3.2Meg picture to an extent that you see the pixels, your are already violating the limit of the optics - who wants an enlarged picture with unsharp motive ?

If you are realy keen on picture quality, then perhaps a larger camera with larger optics is what you need. We should bare in mind that the SD500 and the Z55 are both ultra compact cameras for casual snap shots, which will be more than sufficient for 99% of the users.

An other issue is, that the latest cameras with 7Meg pixels creates huge piture files, and you will see your hard disk filling up rapidly with your photos. Ending up with the need to adjust the camera setting for lower resolution with smaller picture files anyway.
Old May 2, 2005, 6:09 PM   #6

Good point Viking7.. thanks you..

I really appreciate your time and perspective so much.. i found larger pixelsis nothing to do with picture quality at all. Casio has a really thinny design which i like it as much as canon sd500 curving compact design. I haven't experienced the picture quality with canon yet. But I looked through the casio and canon website which I can't find any different in both models at all.

That's why making it hard for me to decide which one i should keep and which one i should sale.

Old May 3, 2005, 6:08 AM   #7

bebeebpo wrote:
Quote:
Good point Viking7.. thanks you..

I really appreciate your time and perspective so much.. i found larger pixels is nothing to do with picture quality at all. Casio has a really thinny design which i like it as much as canon sd500 curving compact design. I haven't experienced the picture quality with canon yet. But I looked through the casio and canon website which I can't find any different in both models at all.

That's why making it hard for me to decide which one i should keep and which one i should sale.

Well - there is a third option. Return both and look at the new Z750. However wait till Steve have finished the testing of the Z750 ( they say he is testing right now ).

From the specs and features, I am quite confident with the Z750, waiting for mine to arrive this week.

Have the EX-S100 which is a fantastic camera - but need the MPEG4 video mode. Since my 6 year old daughter is super user of the S100 she will get the S100. Amazing - after playing with the S100 for 10 minutes, she knew more functions than me. So all this about Casio to be complicated to operate, just ask my daughter. :-)

Anyway - I will post a user comparison review of the S100 and the Z750 later on.

Old May 3, 2005, 12:49 PM   #8

I looked through the specs and the performance of Z750 after seeing your advice. It is really imppressive after seeing the picture model in casio website. I think it's really good camera. But the look is not as beautiful as canon. well, who want the look anyway.

I'm gonna wait for the deal coming up.. I hope Z750 price will drop down a little bit. so, i can afford to own one keke.. so, how much did you get your, viking? and where did you buy it at? any good deal on z750?

thanks... i'm crossing my finger hoping i can get one too hehe:-)
Old May 3, 2005, 1:12 PM   #9

bebeebpo wrote:
Quote:
I looked through the specs and the performance of Z750 after seeing your advice. It is really imppressive after seeing the picture model in casio website. I think it's really good camera. But the look is not as beautiful as canon. well, who want the look anyway.

I'm gonna wait for the deal coming up.. I hope Z750 price will drop down a little bit. so, i can afford to own one keke.. so, how much did you get your, viking? and where did you buy it at? any good deal on z750?

thanks... i'm crossing my finger hoping i can get one too hehe:-)
The new look of the very front of Z750 compared to my old S100 is the only negative site so far. But I will wait to make final comment till I have received the camera in a cupple of days. Still I find no real alternative to the Z750.

We are talking about:

- Docking station ( Canon hasnt one )
- MPEG4 video
- Best shot in video mode
- Digital zoom while video filming
- Auto macro
- SD memory card, ( Sony use MemoryStick )

I did pay 301 Euro, which is about 391 USD
The EX-S100 I payed 198 Euro, or 258 USD two months ago.