Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old May 4, 2005, 5:12 PM   #11

Viking,

thanks for the reply, and your response does make sense. i hope you are able to test this as well. Once in a blue moon, i am able to see the af light on the lcd, but it's more like 1/20 times i try it in darkness with the af light on my hand right in front of the camera.

as for why i would like to see the af light on the lcd...because in darkness i would like to be able to properly "frame" my pictures, and without a point of reference, that is very difficult to do. For example, if i'm taking pictures of a friend in the dark, i can point the camera i the general direction and take the pic, but they might be off center, with my old s400, when the af light was activated, i could catch a glimpse of the subject, and the properly framethe target on the lcd before taking the actual picture. hope that makes sense.

i think what i will do tonight, is call casio support again (most likely will get a different guy than the one i got early this morning) and see what he says.

i also have a call into the retailer i bought the camera from and they told me they will look into the issue...

diesel212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 5:14 PM   #12

if anyone here is a member of dpreview.com, can they post my original message in the casio forums over there and see what they say? i just can't seem to get registered over there...
Old May 4, 2005, 5:24 PM   #13

You are welcome - perhaps you could take a look at the link ( posted earlier today in a seperate post ) to my photos taken with the S100, and give me your honest opinion regarding picture quality compared to your camera.
viking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 6:29 PM   #14

well i called casio tech support again and spoke to a different guy and this guy says it's normal for the af assist light to not register on the lcd screen (and he didn't just say that off the bat, he put me on hold and supposedly spoke to some others there).

so now i'm confused, the person in the morning from casio said i should see the light on the lcd screen, and now this other guy says i shouldn't...i guess their tech support people aren't very well versed in the products that they are supposed to support

Old May 4, 2005, 7:01 PM   #15

okay, i think i have it figured out now...

i was playing around with my camera some more and with the a couple of the best shot modes such as the "party" and "night portrait" best shot mode, the af assist light does show on the lcd screen!!!

so the bottom line is i think the casio engineers programmed it so that if you have auto mode, you can't see the af light in the lcd screen but with the pre-programmed modes such as party and night portrait they knew that users would want to see the af light on the lcd screen in order to frame their shots so it works!!!

now i'm happy

and the casio tech support guys knew absolutely nothing about their products...but they do answer the phone quickly...

Old May 4, 2005, 7:40 PM   #16

Congratiolations diesel212.

Best shot mode is a nice feature - the Z750 should aslo have it in video mode - cant wait trying it out, shooting fireworks etc at night. A 15 sec video clip tells more than 200 photos.
Old May 4, 2005, 8:09 PM   #17

diesel212 wrote:
Quote:
okay, i think i have it figured out now...

i was playing around with my camera some more and with the a couple of the best shot modes such as the "party" and "night portrait" best shot mode, the af assist light does show on the lcd screen!!!

so the bottom line is i think the casio engineers programmed it so that if you have auto mode, you can't see the af light in the lcd screen but with the pre-programmed modes such as party and night portrait they knew that users would want to see the af light on the lcd screen in order to frame their shots so it works!!!

now i'm happy

and the casio tech support guys knew absolutely nothing about their products...but they do answer the phone quickly...

As someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, while the AF assist lamp is lit the LCD is frozen. I set my Z750 in Night Portrait best shot mode and indeed I did see the AF light through the LCD, but it's no use for framing as the LCD is still frozen.

If you are trying to frame in dim light can't you use the optical viewfinder?
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 10:37 AM   #18

I just purchased the z750 and have the same problem as diesel. I bought the z750 to replace my Sony DSC-P9, which has severe lag issues (but to be fair, the P9's a few years old and was rated good for lag when purchased). I take many shots in dimly-lit New York nightclubs and always appreciated the P9's AF assist light, which illuminates subjects for 1.5 seconds and is great for framing in total darkness! I bought the z750 in an attempt to get away from Sony's Memory Sticks and start using SD cards.

I'm very disappointed about this design flaw on the Z750. Since it's years ahead of the P9, I expect it to be better in every way! That the AF assist light on the z750 is NOT visible on-screen in the Party Best Shot mode is ridiculous!!! It does work in the Night Portrait mode, but that's got a slow shutter speed and so is not good for candid shots. Another problem is the screen freezes so to accurately frame, you must depress the shutter halfway again to see how the image you're taking is actually framed. The Party mode has a fast shutter speed and would be perfect if the AF assist light worked properly and the LCD didn't freeze.

Rich's conclusion: Since I bought my z750 from Sharper Image, I have 60 days to return the camera with no restocking fees (my primary reason for purchasing there). I'll keep it until my 60 days are up at least, and:
1) hope for a firmware upgrade. (Is a firmware upgrade on a camera possible, and if so, does Casio have a history of releasing them?); or
2) Learn to frame using the light shown on a subject without looking through screen or viewfinder. I got very good at this after years with the P9. The z750's AF assist light is more centered above the lens than the one on my P9, which will make this a little harder for me until I get used to it, but easier for people who have never tried to frame using this technique on another camera.
3) A consideration before returning the z750 is the fantastic movie mode, with high resolution!!! I hope someone comes out with a fix for the AF assist, so I don't either return the camera or have to compromise.

Have a GREAT one!

Rich
richwolfny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 10:53 AM   #19

So many have asked about the AF assist lamp in dark.

I finaly checked it out. The BS modes where you see the AF assist lamp in the LCD are:

"Night Scene Portratit"
"Candlelight Portrait"
"Cross"

It does also show in MANUAL mode.

I shot the below picture with my S100. What you see is the LCD on Z750 with my daughter and the red light from the AF assist. I used "Candlelight Portrait" on the Z750. The AF assist lamp is quite strong.

Attached Images