Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old May 3, 2005, 9:46 AM   #1

Hi everyone. I am a new owner of a ex-z750 camera (i also have a ex-z55) and I have a question. I was playing with my z750 last night and was testing out the af assist lamp (the thing that shoots out the red light in the dark to help focus) and i noticed that when i half press the shutter in complete darkness, the red light does come on, and i can see the red light against the wall or table, or whatever i am pointing the camera at, however i don't see the red light illuminating anything at all on the lcd screen of the camera. the lcd of the camera is still dark. I used to own a canon s400, and it had af assist lamp, and in darkness i remember when the assist lamp activated and the red light illuminated a subject, you could see the subject briefly illuminated in the lcd of the s400 for the camera to get a focus lock.

on my z750, i don't see the red light on the subject, lcd remains dark however i did notice that the camera will get a focus light in the complete darkness when the red light illuminates the target area even though i don't see the target "lit" up on the lcd screen. However i can't help think that when the red light hits the target i should see the target "lit" up briefly on the z750 lcd screen. i did a bit of research on the net, and read that some camera's are equipped with Infra-Red AF asssist lamp, which i would imagine won't show up on the camera's lcd screen, however i also believe that it wouldn't be visible to the naked eye either....so i've ruled out that the z750 uses an IR af assist lamp.

Is there something wrong with my z750 or is this the normal behavior? Any z750 owners out there, can you tell me if you can see the target "lit" up briefly on the lcd screen when the red light hits it? by the way, i tested this in complete darkness, even using my hand right in front of the camera, with my hand lit in red, however nothing is displayed on my lcd screen.......

thanks

diesel212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2005, 3:05 PM   #2

hey sorry I don't have the answer you are seeking. But I am interested in the very same camera the casio ex-z750. Could you give a detailed mini-review or some overall impressions/disappointments. So you can't use optical zoom in movie mode right? And is there a panorama mode. Can the text mode be used to take pics of docs and convert to text on comp? Thanks for the help. Just wondering if it's worth the big dough.

P.S. My Kodak 4 MP cam does show the AF light on the LCD if that helps
multpda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 8:05 AM   #3

64 views and no one here has a casio ex-z750 that can help verify whether or not my af assist light is working the way it is supposed to?

please help me...i don't have much timeleft before i need todecide whethermy camera is defective and i need toreturn it for an exchange...

Old May 4, 2005, 10:16 AM   #4

Mine Z750 illuminates in orange, not red, visible also on LCD in darkness. Have You enabled the AF lamp via Menu->REC->AF Assist Light? It should be set to On.
Best, JR
Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 11:26 AM   #5

Reps, thanks for the reply

i thought that the red or orange or whatever color af assist light should be visible on the lcd screen. weird how the lcd is flawless in every way but just does not pick up on the light......makes no sense

i guess mine is defective in some way

Old May 4, 2005, 1:36 PM   #6

Maybe You have slightly misunderstood the idea of AF lamp usage- it is intended for use ONLY in dim conditions when camera can not properly focus via image- so point your camera to ceiling in darkness and half-press the shutter- you should see a brief orange pattern in ceiling. So simple the test is. Best, JR
Old May 4, 2005, 1:51 PM   #7

reps, i'm aware of how the af assist light works...

on my camera, af assist light is turned on and in darkness where i point, it does emit the orange/red pattern against the target. It's visible with my eyes and through the view finder on the camera....the problem is thaton my z750 lcd screen, the orange/red pattern is not visible. No matter how close i am to the wall or to the target being illuminated by the orange/red af assist light, the light just does not register on the lcd screen. the lcd screen however picks up every other possible light source in complete darkness, for example, the time on my dvd player, the charger light on my pda cradle....etc....... it's just soooo weird, i even put my hand in front of the camera (while in a dark room) and the af light came out and shined on my hand, but the camera lcd screen was still completely dark....

funny thing is, even though its not displayed on the lcd screen, my camera does get a focus lock (green light), but if i repeat the test without the af light assist turned on, my camera never gets a focus light in darkness

i just need to be able to see the target illuminated on the lcd screen if the af light is shining on it.

i called casio support, and they told me that i am indeed supposed to see the target lit up on my lcd screen....i'm so pissed i got a defective camera......and have to go through the hassle of exchanging it, especially more difficult since i bought it from an online retailer

Old May 4, 2005, 1:59 PM   #8

No, Your camera is not defective- seems that cameras software tries to freeze preview on LCD at a time of AF lamp assisted measurement- out of my 20+ tests I saw it only for some 8 times- and very briefly compared to its visual duration on target... So it is not intended for framing/targeting in the darkness- pitty of course, that might be useful... So do not worry and enjoy shooting with z750! JR
Old May 4, 2005, 2:37 PM   #9

hmmmmmm.......i hope so, but still the casio support guy said it's a defect.

i wanted to post the same question over at dpreview.com since the casio forums over there are a lot more active than here, but unfortunately i can't seem to register there due to my email address.......arghhh so frustrating

you know, my old canon s400, when the af light shined on a target in darkness, no matter how briefly, that light was always visible on the lcd screen

Old May 4, 2005, 3:34 PM   #10

My guees is that in order to save power, the camera dosnt light the assist lamp continuasly, but with a frequence of lets say 30 times pr second. The camera updates the picture on the LCD about 50 times pr. second, the picture is taken from the CCD chip. So - most propably when the processor updates the LCD image, the assist lamp is OFF - and you wont see the assist light on the LCD. When the camera updates the LCD it has to be done fast, and everything else is kept to a minimum, as for example toggling the assist lamp.

The battery is extremly small compared to the things it has to power in this camera full of features, so smart powering is neccesary, keeping the count of "lamps" ON at the same time to a minimum.

Did it make any sence ?

Why do you want to see the assist light on the LCD ? Just turn on the flash. My experience with the EX-S100 learned me to turn on the flash as default when indoor shooting, no mather if its bright daylight outside or not. Because thoose ultra compact cameras needs light to perform optimaly.

Anyway - I get my Z750 any day now, and I will test this.
viking7 is offline   Reply With Quote