Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 22, 2005, 7:35 PM   #11

As I said , each camera has their pros and cons.¬* However the lack of the SD500 manual shutter control is hardly a fatal flaw for a camera of this type.¬* I admit, the Casios manual control is nice, but I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people who purchase this type of camera (an ultracompact) are not buying it for manual control.¬* They are buying it as a small, easy to carry anywhere point and shooter.Yes, the flash range can be extended on both cameras by changing the settings, but not without adding a significant amount of noise.¬* It still does not change the fact that the SD500 has a larger and more powerful flash.¬* I'd also be willing to bet that taking properly lit indoor snapshots is a more important feature for most ultracompact users than manual shutter control... The SD500 clearly wins in this category.I was debating between these two cameras. I actually purchased the Casio first but as a Mac usere, I was forced to¬*return it after discovering that¬* Casio uses a Windows¬* only codec for video.¬* Yes, I am aware of the software conversion workaround, but I find it unacceptable to pay $500 for a camera and then have to jump through hoops downloading software and re-converting every video clip I shoot from a Windows only format just so I can view it.¬* Especially, when every other camera manufacturer is providing both Mac and Windows support out of the box.¬* And after owning and¬* seeing the pics of both cameras back to back I definitely prefer the Canon's image quality.It came down to choosing between a camera that featured¬* manual shutter control which is something I wouldn't mind having but would rarely use OR a camera that in my opinion has better overall image quality, a better flash and cross-platform Mac/Windows compatiblitiy.¬* For me, choosing the Canon SD500 was a no-brainer.¬*¬*Affind it unacceptable to pay $500 for a camera and then have to jump through hoops downloading software and re-converting every video clip I shoot from a Windows only format to a Mac format just so I can view it. Especially, when every other camera manufacturer is providing Mac support out of the box. I don't care how good of a product Casio makes, I will not support them if they choose to ignore 25 million potential buyers who use Macintosh computers.¬*
solsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:34 PM   #12

It's not just that the Canon SD 500 does not have shutter priority. It also does not have ANY program mode that biases the camera to high shutter speeds. None. The Kids and Pets mode is not a high shutter speed mode. It only gives you continuous AF. When you want to take a picture of a moving subject (children etc.) outdoors, you cannot do anything to the Canon SD 500 to guarantee a high shutter speed to freeze action. A fatal flaw in a $450 camera.

As for extending the fash range...the Canon SD 500 has a greater range at first blush...however when you turn on the Casio Z750's built into the cameraFlash Assist software AND lock the ISO to 50 or ISO 100, you get a very significant boost in range with very little noise (do not use Auto ISO). The simple overpriced Canon does not have that software to extend its flash range.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:07 PM   #13

I just went out behind the house and took some flash shots at long range. I couldn't see any difference at all between leaving the ISO on auto with the flash assist or manually restricting it to ISO 100.

I ran the shot without any assist through Photoshop CS shadow/highlight at default settings. Noise was about the same, but Photoshop did a better job. With the SD500 I might not have needed anything. The shadow/highlight would have had more to work with and given less noise had I needed enhancement with a stronger flash.

I've decided to leave the flash assist off and depend on Photoshop. I would have messed with the settings and got the shadow/highlight to my liking. With photo assist you are along for the ride.

No assist, auto ISO went to 100:

No assist (above) with PS shadow/highlight:

Flash assist ISO 100:

I decided to add one with the settings in shadow/highlight tweaked. As you can see you can get it where you want rather than just depend on the camera. This is from the original un-enhanced dark photo.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:16 PM   #14

The last picture looks definately better than the first without the flash assist.
Josser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:24 PM   #15

Josser wrote:
Quote:
The last picture looks definately better than the first without the flash assist.
As with anything in Photoshop you usually do better not accepting default. Auto-levels might be an exception.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:01 PM   #16

Hello, guys, Viking, Solsun and Jimr.

Reading your comments was very enlightening, very informative. My daughter has an Exilim Z55, which no longer works. It has a broken lens. I am looking for another camera for her, and Casio does have nice features. She is a point and shoot photographer. I am more of an enthusiastic photographer and I do prefer the manual control capability. I think, after reading all this, the Casio S500 will make a perfect camera for my daughter. In my case, if I would by a Casio for myself, then it would be the P700. As for the debate between the Casio and Canon, is just a matter of preference. One think must be said though, when comes to features Casio Z750 does win over the canon SD500. Picture quality, well very close, same CCD. and maybe the same optics. Casio was using canon optics in some of its model. Thanks guys. It was a pleasure

josee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:53 AM   #17

Josse, glad you found the thread helpful!¬* Jimr:¬* I guess it just comes down to what your needs are.¬* For me, the Canon is the better choice.¬* The Casio's non-Mac video support is by far the true "fatal flaw" for my needs.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 4:30 AM   #18

solsun wrote:
Quote:
Josse, glad you found the thread helpful! Jimr: I guess it just comes down to what your needs are. For me, the Canon is the better choice. The Casio's non-Mac video support is by far the true "fatal flaw" for my needs.
Just making sure that everyone knows you can view the video in QuickTime on a Mac. Please see:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=13974824

Also, the folowing tools work:

http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Just FYI: The only reason I bough this camera was because it had manual controls. I think we are going to see two distict types of users with this camera. The casual point-and-shooter who would also be happy with the SD500, and serious shooters looking for a 'pocketable' DSLR, for which the SD500 is completly unsuitable.

--Bill
bigbill25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:48 AM   #19

BigBill,¬* this would be good news and would change my opinion of the Casio if it works properly.¬*Question:¬* Does this fix allow you to import video directly into iPhoto and can it be edited in iMovie?¬* Is there any manual conversion or steps required?¬* Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:37 PM   #20

solsun wrote:
Quote:
BigBill, this would be good news and would change my opinion of the Casio if it works properly.Question: Does this fix allow you to import video directly into iPhoto and can it be edited in iMovie? Is there any manual conversion or steps required? Thanks.
Honestly, I don't know. I'm a PC user! You can download the Codec here:

http://emonkid.hp.infoseek.co.jp/EX_M4S2/index_e.html

and get a Z750 sample movie here:

http://exilim.casio.com/index.cfm?fu...f-51aaf90e09f5

I don't think you will need to do any conversion steps. Give ita try and let us know!

--Bill
bigbill25 is offline   Reply With Quote