Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old May 11, 2005, 10:35 AM   #1

:?
Sorry for my English but, as all of you knows we in Italy we use to speak and write in Italian !!

I spent a couple of hours in a sunny Italian Sunday for testing the two cameras that are in my hands since 4 days. Many snapshot same subject, same light, same moment, , wide angle, tele, flash etc...
Well: the results of my double/blind test are very strange indeed.

30 pictures 15x20 cm with P700 and 30 pictures same size same subject with Z750. All these pictures on a large table. 3 persons (on of these person is me) with a water-resistant marker , 3 different colour. The task was to put a + in the picture preferred.

about 55/60% of the pictures with P700 are better , the colour rendition of the skin is better with the P700, the close-up pictures are better with the z750, the landscapes = no great difference .

15 pictures 20x30 cm done with each camera , situation as above, same way for testing.

About 60% of the pictures with the EXZ750 are better.:?

It sound strange to me that there is no difference between a 7Mp Canon Lens and 7Mp mysterioous lens (I'm talking about the exz750)

Frankly I do not foresee great difference in the final result , so my conclusion is to buy the.....
-- :?
Cesaregiancarlo
Cesare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2005, 6:12 PM   #2

And if you take a look at

http://viking7130.tripod.com/casio/

all pictures taken with the underestimated Casio EX-S100 then you will be realy confused :?:

I am at the moment testing my new Z750 against my good old EX-S100, and so far I found that the S100 has a much better sharpnes in depth on macro and portrait photos :!:

In the old days you changed the objective for the particular job, today its all-in-one cameras, so what you experience is natual - it depends on the particular cameras optics construction. The S100 has a "flat" construction which give a guite deep sharpnes range, the Z750 has a more steep optics which give a smaller hot spot.
viking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 2:57 AM   #3

you are probably right but I do not know the s100, I know thathave new ceramic lens. I wrote you are probably right because the quality of my nikon 5400 5Mp is much better than the Casio z750 at 7Mp !

Mystery of the digital cameras ?

Anyway my task was try to increase the possibility of my camera and the S100 with 3,2 Mp was apparently lower in quality.

Old May 14, 2005, 3:13 AM   #4

It is very important when comparing cameras of different resolutions, that you scale one of the images to match the other in size. For example, if you examine a 7 megapixel image at a 1-1 pixel mapping, against a 3 megapixel, the 3 will always look better and sharper.

Before comparing you must compare the two images displayed at exactly the same screen size. Or best still, print them out at your typical print size (e.g 6x4 or A4)

Jonathan

jonstatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 7:34 AM   #5

Jonathan, What you suggest is exactly waht I have done ! (please read my first message) .

Best

Cesare
Old May 14, 2005, 8:56 AM   #6

Cesare, I apologise my post was not clear. I was commenting on Viking's notes about the S100 in comparison to the Z750.

Jonathan

Old May 14, 2005, 11:38 AM   #7

No problem Jonathan , now is clear to me.

Anyway I have another info coming from my test: no visible differences between EXZ750 at 7Mp and the same camera at 5Mp in the photo printed at 20x30 cm (8"x11 ").

Is it logical in you advice ?

This is one of the reason why I wrote : mystery of the digital camera .

Cesare

Old May 14, 2005, 11:56 AM   #8

Well, there are3 reasons that 7megapixel would not be different to 5.

1) At the print size you have chosen, the human eye cannot perceive the difference. I think you need to print about A3 for 7megapixel. Remember that 3.5Megapixel is more than fine for A4 print.

2) The image you have chosen is already fully resolved at 5megapixels and there is no more detail to see. You could try a test of something with many fine lines in it to see.

3) The lens is not of a suitable quality and therefore does not allow the sensor to make use of its resolution.

I would have thought Casio would have chosen a suitable lens glass quality that would be able to show the difference. Afterall, they chose a lens with more elements in this camera than the Z57 (based on Pentax lens).

Jonathan

Old May 14, 2005, 2:22 PM   #9

OK, I understand what you mean . Thank you for your advices , at this point I wonder if it's useful to use the 7Mp or to stay at 5Mp if I do not print in size bigger that A4 .

But it's the same if Iwould like cut part of an image (say 1/4 of the total) and print this part in A4 or is better to start with a 7Mp image ?:?

Cesare
Old May 14, 2005, 6:07 PM   #10

Well, it does no harm to shoot in 7MP. It just means you use more storage space!

But, if you are intending to crop your image, and use only 1/4 of it, then yes, of course, you should keep it at 7MP so that you still have enough pixels for an A4 print.

Actually this would be a good test to try! FInd something with lots of fine detail in it. Shoot at both 5MP and 7MP. Then crop 1/4 ofboth and print at A4. Then compare and see if you can see the difference.