Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old May 20, 2005, 10:27 AM   #21

aries13 wrote:
Quote:
Hi a4phantom,
for the 750 the same seems to apply as for the 505 - both record the video in a "M4S2"-coded version which can't be processed by most existing "Movie-Creation-Programs".

Casio delivers a primitiv Ulead software with the camera which can only create a (quality-wise unacceptable) (S)VCD, but no DVD. In the README they suggest to "upgrade" to Ulead VideoStudio8 - but Casio don't tell you before you buy the camera. VideoStudio here in Europe is 80 EUR (approx. 100USD). And experianced "funtasticguy" wrote above that this progam still has flaws... "
Quote:
God of War,
Quote:
Thanks, but does this only affect burning to dvd, or will it affect playback on a computer (windows OS) and cd?

a4phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 11:18 AM   #22

Reps wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, You have to be on standby until 30th of May- right now on my vacation in Spain and can not do video editing- just enjoying sun and shooting with z750...
Best, JR
yeah, that is definatly understandable, well hope to hear from you then when you get back
roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 5:07 PM   #23

Greetings Aries13! Thanks for your words! Speaking about Galapagos, my parents are from Ecuador!

Since our Casio cameras record movies, it is now stored digitally. No matter what computer we own in the future, we will always be able to play back our videos or convert them to another format. DVD players, on the other hand, will continue to change and evolve. The codecs on the DVD players of the future(or whatever they're called in the future) will always keep changing. But again, with computer software, we will always be able to convert our movies into the format of the future. So, we have nothing to worry abou there.

The name "codec" is short for "coder-decoder," which is pretty much what a codec does. Most audio and video formats use some sort of compression so that they don't take up a ridiculous amount of disk space. Audio and video files are compressed with a certain codec when they are saved and then decompressed by the codec when they are played back. Common codecs include MPEG and AVI for video files and WAV, MP3and AIFF for audio files. Codecs can also be used to compress streaming media (live audio and video) which makes it possible to broadcast a live audio or video clip over a broadband Internet connection.

Here's a site where you can find out more info: http://www.moviecodec.com/

Oh by the way, a quick way to way to burn to DVD is Nero 6. Use the latest version. Apparently, Nero 6 can read M4S2 and allow you to burn directly to DVD.

Take care!
funtasticguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 5:24 PM   #24

Have you been to Ecuador yourself? I was there in the Fall, and it's a beautiful country.

But if I'm not burning EXZ750 movies to DVD, just showing them on computer and storing on cd, is there a problem?
Old May 20, 2005, 5:28 PM   #25

Greetings a4phantom! You will be able to playback M4S2 format or Casio movies in any modern Windows PC.If you have an old PC, your computer won'tbe able to playback the videos fast enough. In fact, Casio recommends a Pentium M 1GHz or higher (laptop) or Pentium 4 2GHz or higher for a desktop.

If you can play the sample videos on Casio's website, then you should have no problem. Check out and download the sample videos from this site:

http://world.casio.com/exilim/en/ex_z750/gallery.html

If your PC does not have the M4S2 codec installed, you will need to download it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...cdownload.aspx

If you have a MAC, you will need ffmpegX software to convert to a .mov format. You can find out more about it here:

http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

If you want to burn the Casio movies directly to DVD without editing, you can use Nero 6 (the latest version).

If you want to edit the Casio movies, you can either use Ulead VideoStudio 9 or Adobe Premiere Elements (there might be more editing softwares that work but these are the ones that I tried and know that work). If you have Vegas 5, you will need to use AviC to change the FourCCs from M4S2 to DX50 or DIVX so that Vegas 5 can read your video files.

You can find the free AviC software here:

http://www.inmatrix.com/files/avic_download.shtml

If you want to convert your Casio movies into VCD format, the enclosed software that comes with the Casio Z750 will allow you to do it.

By the way, the movie quality is pretty spectacular. Not as good as DV camcorders, but pretty close and without the hassle of working with DV tapes.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have any more, just feel free to ask!

Old May 20, 2005, 5:33 PM   #26

Hey, you're on right now. Yes, I have been to Ecuador. I lived in Quito from 1980-1981. I haven't been back but my parents go back from time to time (mainly to see family and eat those delicious Ecuadorian mangos).

To answer your other question: Yes, you can burn them to CD without any problems and it can be played back on any PC provided that the PC meets Casio minimal PC requirements.
Old May 20, 2005, 5:58 PM   #27

The fruit there is delicious! And as a Minnesotan, the mountains amaze me.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"So, what are the reasons *against* buying the EXZ750? According to CNET the image quality problems from earlier exilims are fixed, and Steve and dcresource like it. The battery lifeis fantastic. I like unlimited audio record, so the Canon SD's are out. It has manual controls, unlike almost all other compact digis, which I would like to learn how to use. And I got years of loyal service from my Ex-M2, so all things being equal I'd like to go Casio again.
Old May 20, 2005, 9:07 PM   #28

Since you mentioned CNET, I gave a user review there. You can read it from user "funtasticguy".

This is my second digi camera and I absolutely love this camera. Far more than my old Sony P52. I really have no reservations and I'm sure that most Z750 owners are absolutely delighted with it as well.

P.S. Do miss the fruit there too!
Old May 26, 2005, 9:09 AM   #29

Hi Casio-friends,
I was frustrated because no new entries here - until I just recognized that the thread continues on page TWO !!!!

Greetings, funtasticguy! I still have several wall-carpets from Ecuador hanging on my walls and other handcraft in my glass cabinets - since 30 years!

I was reading many online infos about movie-creation and the more I read the more confused I become - frustrating!

My next Qs:

The only conversion program which worked for me was STOIK. Smart Video Converter Freeware stops in the middle of the movie. The AVS Video Converter can't read the Casio MPEGs.

When I converted a little Casio movie (9MB) with STOIK to "DV AVI File PAL" the resulting movie had 638MB !!! Can this be correct?

When I wanted to retry and see whether to choose a different setting all I now get displayed when selecting "Output format" is "DV AVI File PAL." But I can remember that there were many other possible selections before...

So I re-installed it - no change. I deleted it via "Software" in WinXP and re-installed it - no change. I downloaded the new version 2.1 from STOIK and installed it: no change. I am getiing crazy ! What did I do wrong?

Can it be true that the resulting movie is 70 times bigger?

When burning the converted video within a video show on DVD - are 638MB wasted for this little movie?

Is "DV AVI File PAL" the only and best setting for Europe anyhow?

I can use Nero 6 for creating a backup-CD of my movies but NeroVision Express which creates "Movie Show" can't read the M4S2 either...

Studied a lot of online test and reviews and am sure that MAGIX Video deLuxe (VdL) is the best for me. Downloaded a Demo-Version but it can't read the M4S2. MAGIX doesn't answer my Q whether this is just a limit of the Demo-version. A User said in the German Casio forum that he could import his Casio videos into VdL 2005, but not in VdL 2006 anymore - strange !

So, I might stay as said before: Convert and import into VdL (which I have to buy) - if I had a feasable conversion program!

Please give me your advice!

Thansk a lot and have a nice day
aries13

aries13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 9:55 AM   #30

Greetings a4phantom!

Regarding your decision to buy the Z750...

I choose the P-505 because wanted a tele-lens. 190mm are fully sufficient here in Europe. But a wide-angle is a MUST here, because everything is narrow and little. All cameras having the ideal lens 28-200mm were too bulky and too heavy and too expensive to me.

The P700 is again No. 1 here in Europe's magazine tests. But for that I had needed a wide- AND Telelens adapter.

So I choose the P-505 and have ordered a Soligor 0,7x wide angle adapter, which will give me a fixed length of 27mm and then the normal lens covering 38-190mm. Advantage is that the lens has a normal 43mm thread for filters.

I like it, although found several "problems":

The light weight makes it difficult to hold it steadyly when recording a movie - if it had an optical viewfinder, too, I could press it to my forehead and might decrease the "shaky-problem". Therefore I want to use the MAGIX Video deLuxe program when creating my final video show because this program can smoothen shaken movies (I hope my English is understandable).

I love the possibility to swivel the LCD, but it could be brighter - nothing can be seen in sunshine. Therefore I made myself a foldable and removable shaft (?) to keep the sun out from the LCD.

It is unable to record violet. I cross checked it with my old Canon A20 and this can! The Casio records a violet flower as a washed-out blue one. And the pictures in BestShot "Flora" are +0,7EV overexposed.

Otherwise not problems (yet).

regards
aries13
aries13 is offline   Reply With Quote