Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old May 12, 2005, 12:23 PM   #1

Hi,
since yesterday I own a P-505 which pleases me. From the pictures I took so far I can say that the Best Shot settings are great. All macro flowers are sharp but a violet one is recorded in blue. And the LCD display could be brighter in sunshine - will build a foldable shade to slide-on.

I transfer the pictures and movies from a SD Card Reader to the PC, because many forum entries state that the "Photo Loader" program from Casio is trash.

The movies are recorded as an AVI file, but when I try to import it to a DVD-creating pogram like "MAGIX Video de Luxe" or MAGIX "Photos on CD & DVD" or Nero "Express 3" or "IrfanView" which normally can read AVI files, I get the message that the format is not recognized, because the M4S2 codec is missing.

Casio support tells me that the format is MPEG-4 M4S2. It uses the Microsoft ISO MPEG-4 Codec M4S2 which I should search in Internet and download. But all I find are entries where frustrated users want to download the M4S2 but failed...

One entry tells that the M4S2 is contained in the "WM9Codecs.exe" from MS, which I donwloaded, but it still does not work.

Does anybody already have the P-505? How do you work with the movies? Where did you get the M4S2 Codec?

Thanks in advance,
aries13, Austria
aries13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2005, 9:58 PM   #2

If your Casio videos can play on your Windows Media Player then your M4S2 codec is already installed. However, just because you have M4S2 installed doesn't mean that your software will recognize it. Indeed, most video editors don't allow you to import M4S2 directly (a major flaw of Casio and others using M4S2 codec). The ones that do allow you to import it directly are Ulead VideoStudio 9 and Adobe Premiere Elements. Vegas 5 allows you to import them with a simple technique. That is, if you use "AviC.exe", you'll be able to change the FourCC Description code from M4S2 to DivX and Vegas 5 will be able to read it perfectly (assuming you have DivX installed on your PC).You can download the mini program for free at this site:

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/avifourcc.html

You might find that this technique will allow you to import your videos in your software as well.

Lastly, if all else fails, you will need a video converter to convert your videos to another format so that your software can recognize them. I have noticed that converting them into 3ivx allows for fast conversion and a near perfect conversion at the 95% quality setting.

Some of the video converters that work (since not all recognize M4S2 either) are Stoik Video Converter, Smart Video Converter, and VideoCharge.

The good news, however, is that VideoCharge and AVS Video Converter are both interested in modifying their software to allow video conversion to the M4S2 format. That means that that both Casio P505 and EX-Z750 can become portable video players since we will be able to import any video to our Casio digi-cameras for our viewing pleasure. I know this for a fact because I wrote to the both of them and confirmed that they will soon offer this support. So, if others write them and express this interest, I'm sure that they will modify their software faster (my bet is that AVS Video Converter will get it to the market first).
Good luck
funtasticguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 12:52 AM   #3

Hi funtasticguy,
your fast reply is "fun"tastic !!! I will try out your recommendations.

The fact that "normal" Casio Buyers have to buy Ulead VideoStudio in addition to the camera raises the price of the camera without having been notified by Casio before... this is not user friendly!

Thanks - I hope I get this working - you have helped me a lot!

Best regards
aries13

Old May 13, 2005, 12:45 PM   #4

Greetings Aries13! Well, I don't think that any digital camera or camcorder is going to provide you with a full fledged video editor. The one on the CD isa light version of VideoStudio 8 whichis standard procedure. I believe, however, that Microsoft's M4S2 codec was a bad choice for Casio and others (Pentax uses it as well) to be using. I just wish that Casio had used a more standard MPEG-4 video codec. Even Microsoft's MPEG-4 version 1, 2, or 3 would have been better than M4S2. I also hope that a firmware update will give us more flexibility.

Again, good luck with your video productions!
Old May 13, 2005, 4:38 PM   #5

Hi funtasticguy,
sorry, but don't understand the AviC.exe....

I get a little window with 2 selection fields:

FourCC Description Code
FourCC Used Code

I entered M4S2 in the upper field and selected DIV3 in the lower one and now the AVI is destroyed (no problem, I am only testing so far).

Where do I have to enter what?

Regards
aries13
Old May 13, 2005, 5:15 PM   #6

Greetings Aries13! Put the same one on both the top and bottom. The AVI won't be destroyed at allbecause you can always change back to M4S2 (both top and bottom). If you have DIVX installed, just use DIVX instead of DIV3. This should do the trick. You might always want to install XVID (which is free) and try that one as well. Again, if nothing works, you can always put it back to M4S2 and the video will play again.

Good luck!
Old May 13, 2005, 5:15 PM   #7

I also assumed that you have DivX installed. If you don't have it installed, nothing will work.

http://www.divx.com/divx/

http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml(for XviD)
Old May 16, 2005, 5:18 AM   #8

Greetings funtasticguy!
I now have installed DivX and XviD as you mentioned.

I have transcoded my Casio MPEG4-M4S2 video to DivX with the AviC.exe but it still can't be imported into my "MAGIX Foto on CD & DVD" program, but it works in the Demo-version of "MAGIX Video de Luxe", which costs 60 EUR and is No. 1 in every test... Ulead ViseoStudio9 can read the Casio movies but costs 80 and has not too good ratings. Adobe Premiere Elements costs 110 and is rated as "too complicated"... I have never heard about Vegas 5.

My DVD program can import "normal" videos created on any DigiCamcorder - is that MPEG2? Is there any way I could transcode the Casio MPEG4-M4S2 to a "normal" MPEG-2 video?

Can AviC do that? What to enter in the 2 fields?

Thanks a lot for your help!

regards
aries13
Old May 16, 2005, 3:24 PM   #9

Greetings again Aries13! Your best solution is to purchase a video conversion software. In this manner, you can convert your M4S2 videos to mpg2.
Some of the video converters that work (since not all recognize M4S2 either) are Stoik Video Converter, Smart Video Converter, and VideoCharge.

You will need to disregard Avic or put them back to M4S2 before you use the above video converters.

Good luck!
Old May 16, 2005, 4:59 PM   #10

Hi funtasticguy,
thanks a lot for your fast reply!

Best regards
aries13