Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:30 AM   #11

Hmmmm.... how is that accomplished Atenspro? I thought the only way is to do the audio record feature like slipe mentioned.... :roll:
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:14 PM   #12

dirtbiker wrote:
Quote:
Hmmmm.... how is that accomplished Atenspro? I thought the only way is to do the audio record feature like slipe mentioned.... :roll:
The auto-on feature is a separate issue. Auto-on is a menu item that adds the record and play buttons in addition to the power button that will turn the camera on.

Carrying the camera in audio mode prevents any accidental power on from causing a lens error. There is no way to disable the regular power switch, although you can disable the record and play buttons from acting as power on switches.

People have caused lens errors by having their hand blocking the lens when it is activated. That is much more likely to happen with the auto-on feature engaged if the camera has gone to sleep while in use. You are likely to be in a mode that extends the lens if the camera goes to sleep in use. You could also accidentally hit the record or play button while switching from audio mode. The power switch is recessed and much harder to push than the play and record buttons.

Another small trap you have to be aware of is that the lens extends when you go from play to record. After about a 3 second delay the lens retracts when you are reviewing your images in play mode. The lens extends again when you go back to record. There is no way to deactivate that, so you just have to make sure the lens is clear when you switch back to record mode.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:27 PM   #13

Yikes! what poor engineering! Shame on the developers...
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:19 PM   #14

dirtbiker wrote:
Quote:
Yikes! what poor engineering! Shame on the developers...
It was poor testing actually. Casio doesn't make that particular lens. The gearing comes from the lens maker. It works fine unless you restrict the lens extension, which they would have discovered if they had done sufficient field testing.

Otherwise the controls are great – the best overall I've seen on any camera. Where my FZ10 was obviously designed by engineers who do their personal photography with disposable film cameras, the Z750 was designed by enthusiasts.

I don't think I have had any digital cameras with a control to deactivate all of the buttons like a cellphone. There isn't any use for it on a digital camera. It turns itself off after a short time, so it would be wasted clutter if the gearing in the lens hadn't been weak.

Even the auto-on isn't really that dumb if the lens error wasn't a problem. If you just want to review your photos you could hit the play button and the camera would turn on and display the photos you have taken without cycling the lens. I don't see much advantage to having it come on with the record button and you can't separate the two.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 5:20 PM   #15

http://www.zlk.com/casiolenserror.html
shvcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:58 PM   #16

shvcamera,

Is there going to be a lawsuit or what?
casefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:34 AM   #17

Hi all. I almost purchased the Z500 before I discovered all the problems with "lens error". This forum really helps with doing research before you buy. Thanks for sharing!

Does anyone know if the Z120 or the S-series cameras also have the "lens error" problem?

Thanks, Will
WilliWabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 9:25 AM   #18

Having suffered a lens error with my EX-S500, is there a way to deactivate its lens?

Also it may end up being replaced with an EX-S600 so ame question for that camera?

Thanks
Tayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:32 PM   #19

ive got the same problem.. camera is 2 weeks old and the lense opened up in a pouch.. now it wont focus at all... and i cant get any exchanges for it because idont have the reciete...

ohya its a EX-Z60... and im new to the forums because of this problem so hello all
billymac76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:35 PM   #20

What do i need to do to get my camera fixed.. its only a month or so old and ive only taken about 30 pictures with it.. i dont want to just accept the lose becuase this company has created a shitty product and failed to notice.

any help would be appreaciated because i have a brand new usless camera..
links:
repair places:

anywhere in mass that does repairs for these? and also is there a chance that its under warentee?

billymac76 is offline   Reply With Quote