Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old May 16, 2005, 1:42 PM   #1

I've been repairing CASIO Cameras for many years. Lately, I've seen lots of CASIO users with lens problems. It took me a little while to figure out what was causing the problem, but it seems I've got the answer.

Problem: Lens Error or Lens gets stuck.

Symptom:
Lens will not extend upon power up or lens is stuck in fully or partially extended position...

Cause: Lens is impeded while trying to extend or impacted while extended.
This is usually caused by one of two circumstances. (1) The user dropped the camera while the lens was extended causing a mechanical failure. (2) The lens attempts to extend while in a pouch or pocket without the user's knowledge. This usually happens when the user is carrying the camera with the battery in. When/if the REC button or power button is pressed accidentally, the lens will attempt to extend but can't. This causes the servo motors to "smoke".

Solution: Replace the lens assembly. This should only be done by a qualified tech.
If you've experienced this you know exactly what I mean. This should clear up any notion that the "Lens Gods" have cursed you. Although this may have appeared to be a mystery, it's always caused by something!
Skelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2005, 7:11 PM   #2

With this being a fairly common occurance, does the Z750 have a "hold" button like those mp3 players so that buttons are inactivated while not in use? Taking out the battery is a solution, but not a practical one as you would want to be able to use the camera spontaneously and not fiddle around with putting in the battery for shots and removing them when it's stored in your pocket.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 7:42 PM   #3

dirtbiker wrote:
Quote:
With this being a fairly common occurance, does the Z750 have a "hold" button like those mp3 players so that buttons are inactivated while not in use? Taking out the battery is a solution, but not a practical one as you would want to be able to use the camera spontaneously and not fiddle around with putting in the battery for shots and removing them when it's stored in your pocket.
The lens will not extend if the camera is accidentally turned on with the mode dial in audio record mode. It is the mode past the big "M" and easy to find. Snapshot is the only red mode and it is pretty easy to switch back when you turn it on. You won't develop a lens error if you carry the camera in audio record mode.

The auto-on feature is deactivated by default and shouldn't be turned on IMO. I see no good reason for it's use and you increase your liability if you are using the camera and it has gone to sleep.

If I had to remove the battery to avoid lens errors I would get rid of the camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 7:47 PM   #4

I am considering getting the Z750 and the lens issue was the reason I'm holding off. What is the "auto-on" feature and how does it work. If the auto-on feature is turned off, are the buttons inactivated? That would definitely help me make my decision on whether to purchase it or not. Thanks for any insights.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:51 PM   #5

There isn't a setting that deactivates all of the buttons.

The auto-on turns the camera on if you hit the record or playback buttons. Useless feature IMO.

Putting the mode dial in audio deactivates the lens, which is all you have to do.

Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:48 PM   #6

thx slipe for the clarification. seems like an ineligant way of preventing the lens error issue, but i guess it beats having to take out the battery. someone at casio hasn't done his/her engineering well. i have used other dig cams that will sense that the lens cover is on and disable trying to open it to prevent servo burnout. i'd imagine casio would be dealing with a lot of returns/angry customers as everyone at one time or other inevitably hits buttons inadvertantly in their pockets or objects in their storage compartments puts pressure on these buttons. just my 2 cents...
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:10 PM   #7

I agree they should have done a little more real world testing and beefed up the gears before releasing the camera. I'm sure it has cost them both money and customers.

Keeping it in audio mode has had a side benefit. I find I use the camera to take notes rather than grab for a pencil. I never did that with my other pocket cameras that also had audio record ability.

It is an otherwise superb camera and I don't really mind the slight inconvenience of switching it to audio. It is just automatic now before putting it in my belt pouch. But I'm reluctant to wholeheartedly recommend the camera as I would if the problem weren't there.

Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:23 PM   #8

slipe wrote:
Quote:
There isn't a setting that deactivates all of the buttons.

The auto-on turns the camera on if you hit the record or playback buttons. Useless feature IMO.

Putting the mode dial in audio deactivates the lens, which is all you have to do.
Can't you turn off the rec/play button turn on feature on the Z750?
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:29 PM   #9

brachiopod wrote:
Quote:
I explained that as well as I know how in my first post on the thread.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 6:43 AM   #10

brachiopodwrote:
Quote:
Yes you can.
AtenSpro is offline   Reply With Quote