Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 9, 2005, 2:49 PM   #101

Finally i got a Kodak v550 to try. Costco.com has it more $360 , before shipping .Fry's had it for $375 locally , so i picked one up to try.Metal body, easy direction, feels very solid.Pictures are nice, no red eye even before red eye reduction.Continous focus during movieĀ* mode, and the file is quicktime.When record in 320x240, i can even play it in my Zodiac without downsizing.This is time to be patriotic finally, this is a keeper finally.The only complain about Fry'sĀ* camera is , it is a silver one, but i really would rather to have a black one.
strpyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 1:21 PM   #102

I own the Kodak V550 now, and DC280 in 1999.

I am interested to know:
How frequently do Kodak and Casio update their DC's firmware?

Nowaday, vendors just rush to release their DC to catch the market trends. So there must be bugs/deficiencies in the initial releases. So the sooner/ more frequent their firmware updates the better.

Facts:

1. Kodak DC280 for the whole period 1999 ~ 2005, I saw only 1 release of firmware update.

2. Casio Z750 - now within 3 months of its presence in the marktet, the 1st update of the firmware is released.

???
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 8:33 AM   #103

I dunno, but there seems to be much more firmware changes in the Z750 update than Casio is willing to admit. People are reporting better images now so I will try resetting saturation, contrast and sharpness positions back to zero now that I read this:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14262865

The camera whine is gone and some folks even say the same for the lens error thingy, though it's never bothered me. Perhaps the pro reviewers should rate this cam again and revise their ratings...:O
buddy1065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 8:27 PM   #104

i dont know much about the casio or the kodak, but i have gone to my local circuit city over and over again trying out all of the cameras, and then going to best buy and such. from just my first hand, beginner experience, i was trying to see what camera seemed best for my money. i'm looking to purchase a compact camera. i've always heard good things about canon, but i really want a large lcd screen. then i thought about the nikon s1, and then i decided i just didnt like it all that much. it then came down to the fuji z1, the kodak v550, and the panasonic lumix fx7. after talking with many people at actual camera stores (still not sure if this stuff is true!) i was told that fuji has always said they have such and such megapixels, and then in turn had half of that. not sure about that, but eventually i just looked at it and didnt like the blurryness when i went into digital zoom. then i was told the lumix was too good for prints. which too be honest, i can care less, cuz i dont know plan on blowing pictures up to 8x11. then the kodak i hadn't heard anything about. but the thing that i liked about it was the optical viewfinder. and then i was worried because the panasonic and fuji had that protective screen. well low and behold, i found one to put on the kodak on ebay, for only $15. basically i started comparing the picture itself, the options, and mostly the blurryness on the digital zoom (yes i know not a big deal considering the picture still looks good). well in the end i have decided the kodak. it takes a nice clear pic, it has twice the amount of pixels, and its an easy to use camera. but im just a beginner, so im just going on what looks and feels right to me.
soccer_spaz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 6:56 PM   #105
JME

Has anyone experienced a bad LCD with the Kodak V550? I purchased mine from Dell and have had it for about 2 days now. On several occasions now, when I turn it on the LCD appears to be broken. The LCD is on but the image of the LCD is heavily distorted color wise. It can happen when I turn it on or right after I take a photo. The actual recorded image is fine (once viewed on the computer or when the LCD happens to be working again) but the LCD view is messed up. It's actually difficult to explain so I apologize for the difficult to understand description. If anyone has any input on this I'd appreciate it. I'm definitely going to return it but I'd like to know if anyone else has this problem b/c I then I'll just purchase another brand.
JME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 11:19 PM   #106

My own and one of my friends' v550 LCD have been fine up to now (1 month). Probably you are the unlucky one. Any visible physical damages on the LCD, or has it been pressed heavily before? (the Polaroid plates covering the real LCD glasswill distort colors if subject to pressure).

Call Dell to replace it. Good luck with your replacement unit!

p.s.

the LCD is just too delicate. I tailored a transparent plastic plate (6cm x 5cm x 0.5mm) and applied double-sided tape to fasten it to the frame (a bit raised from the body of the v550), to protect the LCD. Now I carry it in my jean's pocket w/o fear ofbreaking the LCD.

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:12 PM   #107
JME

Thanks for the reply! I'll be sure to return it, but I'm still undecided on staying with the same make. There was definitely no physical damage done to the LCD on my part. It just seems buggy. I was pleased with it otherwise (and did a buttload of research on it) though so I'm leaning towards getting another one.

You custom fit a protective piece over the LCD... good job! Do you suggest I try to do the same? Is it that fragile?
JME is offline   Reply With Quote