Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:02 AM   #11

3 Things:

1- Ive had bad luck with Kodak, 2 breakages in 6 months time. SO Im shopping around for a new camera, Im either going with a Canon or Casio(Cant decide:?)

2- Steve didnt review the v550. I would wait to hear from an expert.

3- The v550 doesnt have a viewfinder. Never by a cam without one, your regret it. Bright sun is an LCDs worst enemy.
bello0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 10:43 AM   #12

bello0110 wrote:
Quote:
3 Things:

1- Ive had bad luck with Kodak, 2 breakages in 6 months time. SO Im shopping around for a new camera, Im either going with a Canon or Casio(Cant decide:?)

2- Steve didnt review the v550. I would wait to hear from an expert.

3- The v550 doesnt have a viewfinder. Never by a cam without one, your regret it. Bright sun is an LCDs worst enemy.

The v550 does hav an optical viewfinder, however the V530 does not.

I think the Kodak will be a better camera than the Casio (yeah ok 7mp vs 5mp), for one a screen which is the same size yet the kodak has almost twice the pixels, great for looking back at your pics. I like Kodaks, they rarely take a picture that you won't like.
frythechicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:19 PM   #13

If you haven't seen this most thorough review...it's well worth looking at.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/casio/exz750.htm
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:19 PM   #14

O. K. I just had a careful look at the Kodak's spechs. It has a beautiful LCD. Yup. However..it is not at all in the same league as the Casio EX Z 750. The Kodak has quite a few program modes...but no shutter priority...no manual overides like the Z 750. etc. etc. It is much more like the Canon SD 500...A point a shoot that lacks the tremendous creative versatility that the Casio 750 has. The image stabalization appears to be video only.

Here is the Kodak spech listing;

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

I urge you to compare it to the following Casio EX Z 750 review:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/casio/exz750.htm#intro

This is in no way a knock at the Kodak. They are just not competition. Different capabilities at almost the same price.
By the way...the spechs for the Kodak are not clear about whether the video zoom is optical or digital.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:48 AM   #15

I see the great strength of Kodal V550 over Casio Z750 is the "Optical Zoom during Video Capture" (if we guess correct, although at this moment Kodak's spec is quite ambiguous whether it is optical or digital). As for program vs manual controls, some point & shot users just don't care.

Just for my curiousity:

Back few yrs ago ~ 2002, every DC can optical zoom while taking movies. Now such plain (no luxury) function is stripped away by most vendors. Why? The motor noise is not a very good excuse i.e. I have my own decision, either to tolerate the noise, or just don't use optical zoom if I can't bear it. Are they simply forcing us to choose their higher end models with what "ultrasound quiet motors"?

Also how easy would they be able to resume such plain function? By firmware update?

The other factors that would make me wait longer, would be those hidden performance params like "shutter lag", "shot-shot interval" and actual picture qualities, which need some volunteers to conduct some tests/reviews (vendors may not publish such params).
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 9:00 PM   #16

It's more than just manual, shutter priority etc. modes that the Casio 750 has over the Kodak. It is the very useful image parameter choices that allow for user subjective preferences in the actual image. Such things as saturation level, contrast level, sharpness level and many WB choices that the 750 provides. I am a Fuji Film user who lies intense colors. Some prefer less intensity. With film, you chose the film that fit your taste or situation. With a dc like the Casio, you can tailor those choices to your own preference. From what I see the only advantage the Kodak has is the larger LCD. That is far outweighed by the ability for users to grow with the 750 as well as the many many options that the Casio provides. Just look at the 50 page review at :

http://www.kenrockwell.com/casio/exz750.htm#intro

The 750 and the Kodak are not competition. Never mind the Mb difference. The Kodak is a nice simple point and shoot. The Casio can be used as a simple point and shoot with some 40 scene modes, but has the ability for the photgapher to grow greatly. The Kodak does not.

Old Jun 5, 2005, 5:34 AM   #17

jimr wrote:
Quote:
From what I see the only advantage the Kodak has is the larger LCD.
Both cameras have 2.5" LCD !
viking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 7:53 AM   #18

Sorry. I meant higher resolution LCD. Of course the Casio has the higher resolution sensor which is what counts in the actual image quality at great enlargements.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 6:48 PM   #19

The V550 indeed does have a viewfinder. The V530 does not.
DENNISSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 5:58 PM   #20

The Kodak V550 looks good but the biggest negative I see is the battery is only good for about 150 shots.
LD500 is offline   Reply With Quote