Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 14, 2005, 2:49 AM   #31

How can a big potato w/o legs, get closer to the objects? Just kidding

For those who are curious about the battery life of V550, I have taken some statistics for 2 charge cycles:

Charge 1: 77 pics + 78sec movie
Charge 2: 20 pics + 520sec movie

So to verify Kodak's claim of 150 pics per charging (assuming 2 tests are consistent):

77 + M x 78 = 20 + M x 520
where M is rate of per-pic-energy taken by per sec of movie

Arithmetic says M = 0.12

So the total no. of pics that can be taken per charge:
77 + 0.12 x 78 ~ 86,
almost half of the spec of 150.

I must admit I always reviewed the pics / movies at least once after the shots.

Sounds reasonable if the "review" consumed the same amount of enerygy as capture.

Luckily the official spare battery from Kodak is only about US$20 each. I will certain buy one if the included battery goes on perform that way.

Would somebody correct my naive calculations?

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 3:14 AM   #32

In my opinion it still looks like the new S500 overall beats the V550, mostly because the very slim design.
viking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 3:49 AM   #33

Kodak's announce of V550 in May came with detailed spec, and even the User's Guide (a good way to verify their claimed features - they can't lie in the UG), on their websites immediately. And the real thing was on the shop shelves this week (Kodak said June). I bought one and found the features/performance quite matched the spec.

In contrast, the Casio S500 sounds great in their announced features, and the design (looks like a CAD generated 3D model) is really stylish and slim, but it didn't came with any specs at all. I expect it will be a long way for you to see the real thing, and to verify their claim.

Also did Casio mention which make of lens they will use? I hope they will turn back to Canon/Pentax this time.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 5:02 AM   #34

When will you be able to give a quick review on ease of use, speed, quality etc?

Gubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 12:38 PM   #35

Post a small review on your new baby when ready :|
Old Jun 16, 2005, 7:33 AM   #36

i am split between a few new cams, i liked the idea of the kodak's iso 800 but its only up to 1.8 megapixels. i get more on my phone! at the minute im split between the following
kodak v550
kodak v530
casio ex-s500
samsung i5
pentax s5n
casio ex-z750

im totally split at the minute between the pentax and the casio s500, the casio was ahead in my estimations due to the video functions and being able to take photo's whilst recording video but im starting to lean towards the pentax as it seems it works with an optional remote control. i havnt seen much info about the samsung, the internal optical zoom seems appealing but i dont think it would be good in the dark. low light shooting is high on my priority as i usually shoot when im out with friends in bars and clubs so if anyone has an idea of which cams are good in the dark could they please comment,

thanks

gateshead

gateshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:13 AM   #37

The camera I would buy is the Kodak v550 because simply it has the optical viewfinder..while the Casio s500 or the samsung one doesnt?...

I know that sometimes in direct sunlight its impossible to see the LCD screen so its good to have the viewfinder...I love the casio s500 but it doesn't have it..So I am going to buy the kodak v500..Looks awesome.
jimboy435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 11:49 AM   #38

What about adding the Samsung V800 to your choices? Althoughit looks a bit bulkier than those on your list, it's full of manual controls, in addition to mpeg-4 movie, and it's also using the Shneider lens same as those in Kodak. The problem is, same as the Casio s500, I don't see a firm release schedule and a detailed spec yet
Old Jun 16, 2005, 2:38 PM   #39

SSome said that the picture compression on the V550 was too high, -> less picture quality.

Perhaps you should check if its correct. Else I pick the Z750 any time.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:57 AM   #40

Gubby wrote:
Quote:
When will you be able to give a quick review on ease of use, speed, quality etc?
OK I am just an amateur too enthusiastic about the Kodak V550 having convenient DV capability. I am not professional enough to claim my opinions a formal review. Also I weighted the video & still pic performance equally, because I planned to substitute this card-sized DC for my bulky Sony DV.

Ease of Use: Will take you time to get familiar with the menu layout. Quite diff from my previous Pentax & Canon. Especially frequently-used setting e.g. ISO, flash modes, sharpness ... etc are NOT memorized across each power cycle. Also lack of "quality" adjustment (fine/normal) is a big minus for me.

Quality of Pics: As I said, over-compressed, turning Sharpness or Color to "high" might help a little bit.
Also the picsl, are a bit over-exposed. You may try to always turn EV to -0.3 in bright day light.

Speed: very rough measure - shutter lag ~ better than 0.2 sec, shot-to-shot interval ~ 1 sec using Sandisk Ultra II 1GB, about 2 sec using normal (bought 2 yrs ago) Sandisk 256MB.

Hope these will help your decision.