Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:25 PM   #51

1. Auto-Focus assistant Green Beam - AF Green Beam.

The beam emits from the top-centre lamp just next to the flash. I think by collecting the properties of the beam reflected from the subjects e.g. time & spectrum, it helps the camera to determine the focus, and the exposure.

I think it's harmful to human eyes, especially children eyes, merely because the intennsity is so strong and so concentrated like a laser. Unfortunately, it's especially attractive to my son, and he just stares at it everytime. The sensor cells on the retina of your eyes will then be killed forever (like brain cells, can't be regenerated).

If you don't believe, find a DC or another devices which can emit LED beam, and you look at it for 5 secs, the image will be casted on your eyes for the next 1 minute even when the beam has been removed.

For my previous DC e.g. Pentax & Canon, I can, indirectly, turn off the beam, by adjusting the focus mode i.e. switching from single-point focus to mult-pattern focus.

Also some DC simply use less-harmful, and invisible Infrared beam for the same purpose. By using IR instead of strong LED beam, I think the vendors are just silently acknowledging the harmful effects.

2. Filesizes of 5MP pictures taken by Kodak V550

Pls browse my replies above, I've said many times they are average 1 (ONE) MegaByte. But the range would be from about 0.5MB to 1.5MB depends on the complexity of the scenes you are capturing.

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 1:23 PM   #52

Ok, now I see what you mean, and mine's just arrived so I can see for myself.

Yes, this is a little bright, but in short doses shouldn't harm - it's not the brightest of LED's I've seen. The flash is brighter than this of course, and leaves a temporary image on the retina, but these have been used for years now...

I am very impressed with this camera however. The MPEG4 video is very impressive, almost up to the quality of some older camcorders. I too hear the AF and Zoom, but it isn't too intrusive if there is other noise around.

Picture quality too is very very good! I have studied a few now, and although the file sizes coming out indicate that the shots are highly compressed, the quality is just great.

Very fast startup and shot to shot time. Fast AF in daylight, but a little slow in darker rooms (acceptable though). Slightly slow zoom.

Not much I can say against it really though. It's a great camera.
ldjagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:43 PM   #53

Great to hear another owner of V550!

FYI I've never flashed my son I always try to take his pics in good natural or room lighting.

W/o hope to turn of the AF beam, now I just shield it with a black label tape.

Yes, I also begin to think that Kodak's JPEG compression may be more efficient than the others' - smaller files but still retaining quality.

Enjoy your new toy!

Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:32 AM   #54

I just ordered mine..I can't wait to get it by MOnday. Do you have the black one or the silver one?....I paid 349.99+TAX for mine...v550 with 2.5LCD
jimboy435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 5:49 AM   #55

USD 349 or Pound?Mine black one costed meHKD 3080 ~ USD384. But you know what? It just dropped to HKD2680 within a week after my purchase. The black paint near the corner of the battery door is being scratched away (I always take out the SD to a card reader). I thinkthe silver ones are not natural color or the alumimium, andwon't have such problem.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:45 AM   #56

Do you mind me asking where you ordered from?* I've been looking everywhere (in person and online) for this camera and no one seems to have it in stock yet except for bestbuy, which charges $400 + tax.**jimboy435 wrote:
Quote:
I just ordered mine..I can't wait to get it by MOnday. Do you have the black one or the silver one?....I paid 349.99+TAX for mine...v550 with 2.5LCD
turbodub_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:48 AM   #57

I know this may be a subjective thing, but what color would you owners recommend?* I've never seen either color in person yet.* Specifically, how does the black camera look?* Does it look more like it was just spray-painted black (and will peel off), or is it a high quality finish/look (more like the Fujifilm Z1).* If you can post any real-life pics of the camera, that would be great.**Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:36 AM   #58

To answer a few questions in one:

I ordered mine from Pixmania.co.uk and paid £261 sterling.

I have the Silver one because a/ They didn't have Black yet, but b/ I actually decided I prefer it to the black for the following reasons:
- It won't scratch
- It won't pick up fingerprints
- Using the 3D view on Kodak.com, I actually thought it looked slightly more compact in pure-silver. I don't go for that 'sandwich' look with the black one, and all the other bits are silver (zoom lens, front grip, flash) which just didn't look so nice to me.

All subjective of course, but you might agree (check it out with the 3D view of the camera on Kodaks website though because after spinning it round a few times, you'll get a much better idea for yourself, and be fairly dizzy of course).

This camera is awesome though. Buy it you must!

Oh, and get a Neck Lanyard for it, as it is so tiny, the wrist Lanyard will probably annoy you long term, or you'll knock the camera into something while swinging it about

ldjagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 1:07 PM   #59

Thanks for the reply.

It's really tough to say from the pictures, but I actually kind of like the sandwich look of the black. Like you said, it's really a subjective thing, but for me, I wasn't sure how the blue and pure silver would look together. I think the black version looks pretty sharp (at least from the pictures I've seen on kodak.com).

What I'm more worried about is how the black appears in real-life. I think it's easy to make something look good in a picture, but when you see it in real-life things can change pretty quickly. What I'm most worried about is the finish of the black camera. If it's just a cheap spray-paint, then I'd rather go with silver, but if the camera has a nice black finish, then it could be another story. Basically, does the black look cheap? And how likely is it that it would chip or peel or fade away after time.

Anyone that has seen or owns the camera, please chime in. Also, any real-life pics of the black camera would be great.

Thanks again,

Roger
Old Jun 24, 2005, 2:57 PM   #60

I ordered the Kodak V550 from Best Buy and returned it. I really wanted to like this camera as it is a very nice looking pocketable digicam. I just felt after putting it through some paces both in studio and outside that the results weren't that pleasing to me. The other thing that really drove me crazy was not having any indication in record mode or playback mode what shutter speed or aperture the camera selected! The images seemed a little soft overall. The macro seemed pretty nice. WARNING!! Do Not ever buy a digital camera from BEST BUY!! They will charge you a 15% restocking fee! I was never told about this when I made the purchase and when I made the return, they tried to charge me $54.00! I went round and round with the manager and they finally called Corporate customer service and ended up giving me a FULL refund ( after a lot of frustration)! I have several digicams including Olympus C8080WZ, Panasonic FZ10, Panasonic FZ1 and a couple of small Pentax models. I am lacking a small pocketable cam and had decided on the CasioZ750 until I saw the V550. I satisfied my curiosity by checking out the V550 and now I know for sure that the Casio Z750 is my pocket camera of choice!
mmdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote