Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 24, 2005, 3:09 PM   #61

mmdrummer wrote:
Quote:
I ordered the Kodak V550 from Best Buy and returned it. I really wanted to like this camera as it is a very nice looking pocketable digicam. I just felt after putting it through some paces both in studio and outside that the results weren't that pleasing to me. The other thing that really drove me crazy was not having any indication in record mode or playback mode what shutter speed or aperture the camera selected! The images seemed a little soft overall. The macro seemed pretty nice. WARNING!! Do Not ever buy a digital camera from BEST BUY!! They will charge you a 15% restocking fee! I was never told about this when I made the purchase and when I made the return, they tried to charge me $54.00! I went round and round with the manager and they finally called Corporate customer service and ended up giving me a FULL refund ( after a lot of frustration)! I have several digicams including Olympus C8080WZ, Panasonic FZ10, Panasonic FZ1 and a couple of small Pentax models. I am lacking a small pocketable cam and had decided on the CasioZ750 until I saw the V550. I satisfied my curiosity by checking out the V550 and now I know for sure that the Casio Z750 is my pocket camera of choice!
Thanks for your input. I'm definitely just a point&shoot person, so I think that V550 may fit me well.

Can you tell me what color camera you had and what you thought of it (appearance/quality wise)? For instance, did you think the finish quality (of the camera body) would last? Did the color (black or silver) look cheap? I know these are subjective questions, but any input is better than no input.
turbodub_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 3:18 PM   #62

I had the black one and it looked very nice! It was a nice finish that didn't look cheap and didn't look like it would scratch very easy. Another thing to note is the battery does not last long at all. I used it for a total of maybe three hours and I had to recharge the battery 3 times!! Like I said before, I really wanted to like this camera because it looked GREAT on the Kodak site. I really feel that the Casio Z750 has just about Everything that a point and shooter could want as well as all the extras for the more advanced shooter. I had a chance to play with the Casio at Circuit City yesterday and it seems very user friendly.
mmdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 3:27 PM   #63

There are some real pictures of the black one at a Japanese site I can't find the URL for right now, but based on these, I chose the silver. The black didn't look that appealing. I can't easily explain, but it did look kind of painted and wasn't like the gorgeous glossed finish of the Nikon Coolpix S1.

I'm more than happy with the image quality myself. The images are very pleasing to the eye, plenty sharp enough for my liking, and I've already taken some effortlessly great shots of the family - it just seems to be a well rounded package. Colours are good too.

ldjagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 3:43 PM   #64

The Japanese site that you are talking about may have been a prototype or preproduction model. The finish is very nice. What do you think of the battery and the ommision of any exposure info?
mmdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 3:49 PM   #65

I bought it from Bestbuy for that price. 349 DOllars. It was at 379.99 when I was looking at and there is a 30 dollar coupon from techbargains.com that puts ita 349.99 but now the price has gotten to 399.99 at bestbuy.com but you get 40 dollar off..so thats $359.99

If you buy from buy.com, you can get the camera for around 300 dollars. They are having a 10% of the price of (349.99) & 30 dollars more off if you sign up for the buy.com creditcard...thats almsot under 300 bucks...

buts it on back order.

Would any one of you recommend to buy the extended warranty?

jimboy435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 5:32 PM   #66

As with many things, you have to give it a few decent charges to get the best battery stamina. The other thing is that when something's new, I tend to do a lot of reviewing of photo's and fiddling with settings etc, and the LCD usage is the real battery killer, so it's hard to tell at this stage.

However, the saving grace here is that it has an optical viewfinder, so as soon as the battery icon comes on, you can go on using it with LCD switched off. This is a big bonus over some of the Casio's which don't have these (although I know their battery life is much better!)

The Kodak battery is only 20 USD, so keeping a backup battery is an option.

Whether it's really good for 120 shots or more I can't tell yet (I'm sure it will if using the optical viewfinder beyond where the battery would usually give up on LCD however)

Old Jun 24, 2005, 5:37 PM   #67

...and as for info on the screen, well I wanted this for a snappy camera, and it does that job very well. I wouldn't expect it to go beyond the various automatic settings, and I would buy a larger camera with larger lens that takes attachments if I wanted to take pro pictures.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 9:15 PM   #68

For those who are still interested in the "black color" version of the V550:

1. The official Kodak 3D model:
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US
looks quite close to the real thing. I think Kodak just took some pics from each side of the real thing and then appled them as textures to the 3D model. I am holding my own V550 and comparing it with the 3D model side by side.
(you have to enable javascript in your browser to view it).

2. There are circular rings of very fine pitches radiation from the lens as the center, for firm grep. It's diff from the silver one in which the pitches are just straight lines slanting down (not circular) at 45o, like falling rain under strong wind.

3. The paint won't be scratched away easily. I've tried applying detergent and even alcohol to clean the grease w/o ever scratching away a single mm. I've carrying around in my jean's pocket for 2 weeks. The only weakness, as I said is the front-lower-left corner, when for the first time I opened the battery door very forcibly (w/o knowing that the door could be released gently by pressing the arrow indicator first), I might have hard-scratched the paint a little bit)

Also as a reminder, V550 has only black or silver choices, but V530 has 4 colors (maybe more targetted for ladies).

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 2:47 AM   #69

Just to also add that the higher resolution LCD (230,000 pixels compared to the 110,000 or even 86,000 of others) is not only better for immediately detecting a duff picture (aided by the blur warning which works well incidentally), but has a high refresh rate (26 fps I believe). These two things make for a much better picture taking experience.

The digitally applied red-eye removal also seems to work well, and fast too. Nikon Coolpix is slow at this but I haven't noticed it in the Kodak. With camera's of this size, red-eye is such a problem, that this feature was one of my main reasons for purchase. It means far less fiddling with the images on a PC, and even printing directly from camera using PICTBRIDGE without the PC stage / editing at all.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:16 PM   #70

Thanks for replying guys.

I'm really excited about getting this camera, and I think that it will suit me well. Although I haven't seen either color in person yet, I'm glad to hear the the camera look good, with a high quality finish on them. Thanks for everyone's input.

I'm having trouble finding the camera available for sale anywhere other than bestbuy.com. It's not even available in their stores yet (here in michigan). I'm really hoping to have the camera in time for 4th of July weekend, so I've got my fingers crossed that buy.com or another (cheaper) online retailer get them in really soon. Given it's questionable battery life, I'd also like to buy a spare battery, but that's not available anywhere yet either.

Does anyone have any recommendations about where to look to find this camera in stock and at a decent price. Right now, the best I've found is buy.com, where it's $350 - 10%. The problem is that they are backordered, and buy.com has no idea when they're going to get any in.

Anyways, I love hearing about people's experiences with the camera, and any praises or concerns. Keep 'em coming! I'll be sure to chime in with my thoughts as soon as I get my hands on one (hopefully that's pretty soon).

Cheers
Roger
turbodub_6 is offline   Reply With Quote