Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 1, 2005, 1:36 AM   #71

that's right, while the casio Z750 is a knockout!, shot till you drop, battery is awesome!!

but there's a new casio coming out, the Ex-S500, check out there sight at http://www.casio.com for more info..
pauljason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 1:55 AM   #72

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
viking7 wrote:
Quote:
Seems like the discusion stops here with the new Casio EX-S500.
Looks like Casio S500 still can't zoom during video capture:
(http://world.casio.com/asia/news/2005/ex_s500.html
- Movies can be zoomed in during replay
i.e. not during capture.

This is a critical feature for a DC to be a convenient substitute for a DV (of course for really important occasions, we still have to use DV). What's usually the time between Casio announcements and the actual releases?
pros: Casio EX-S500 has the stability feature for blurred pictures (anit-shake), in still mode and in video mode!!

cons: 1. Casio EX-S500 has no optical viewfinder-(damn, could have been perfect!)
2. it has a smaller LCD, 2.2 inches

The Casio EX-S500 will be out here in the Philippines probably nexth month!!
Kodak V550 has been available here since last march...very handy though!

(any feedback, reply to me guys!!)
pauljason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:43 PM   #73

I am also seeing no high quality MPEG4 with the Kodak in the specs or did I miss that? It only says MPEG4 640x480 and Quicktime 320x240. The Casio clearly states both high quality MPEG4 640x480 and normal MPEG4 640x480 modes in the specs, both at 30 fps. Personally I want the very best quality I can get and the Casio video can be easily mistaken for a single chip digital consumer camcorder with no noticed color bleed IMHO.
buddy1065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 1:25 PM   #74

Kodak V550 is, using MPEG-4 ***compression***, outputting files in Quicktime ***file format***, at both 640x480 AND 320x240 ***resolutions***.

AFAIK there is NO diff in qualities(if user selectable) btwn Casio & Kodak, in terms of ***bit-rate***. Both are eating away your SD card at 0.5MB/s at 640x480.

My ***personal*** perception is Kodak is better (I've looked at both DC taking the same scense), and that Kodak can ***optical_zoom_during_video*** while Casio cannot (both Z750 & S500).
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 2:02 PM   #75

*Casio has two modes for 640x480 at 30 fps video. I have not tested the normal mode yet. Casio web page says high quality eats memory at only 4 MBps and normal mode lasts twice as long at 2.1 Mbps (640x480). Both modes are 30 fps.*So technically with a 1 Gig SD card I will be able to get over an hours worth of MPEG4 640x480 video in normal mode at 30 fps. Where did you get the 5 MBps figure?
Old Jul 1, 2005, 2:24 PM   #76

Just checked out the 640x480 normal mode on the Z750. There is some fine pixelization with movement/panning but it looks remarkably good compared to the 320x240 alternative; it looks about as good as VHS* on a TV monitor IMHO. Good to know I can get more than an hours worth of video in this mode with a 1 GIG memory card.*
Old Jul 1, 2005, 2:39 PM   #77

I said 0.5MB/s or 500KB/s. I reckoned that simply by dividing the filesize by the time length of the movies. Now I know you were talking about "selectable" to downgrade the quality. So I think Kodak is just forcing you to use the highest quality. I don't care - with the SD 1GB 66x speed cards so afforable nowaday, I just want to stay at highest quality.

So theoretically, a 1GB card can hold 2000sec or 33min of highest quality 640x480 MPEG-4 movies.

Also I mentioned in another topic "Kodal V550 vs sony T33 ..." the below Z750 video problem. Could you verify that?

".....
In addition to the deficiency of being unable to optical zoom during video, I just noticed a defect in Z750 video - it will produce rainbow fringes when shooting densely parallel stripes of high contrast.

I found that at least in the official Casio website of the "Windmill" video "CIMG4118.AVI". Notice the roof top of the initial house behind the girls, and then the body of the windmill.

Another sample video with a guy wearing a "prisoner's T-shirt" (black/white stripes) approaching the camera, it seemed as though the guy was a superman "radiating" intense rings of rainbow fringes out from his chest.

I've tried my Kodak [highlight= rgb(255, 255, 136);]V550 zooming in and out across many items with stripes, but w/o such problem.

Posted: Sat Jul 2nd, 2005 02:09 am
http://world.casio.com/exilim/en/ex_z750/gallery.html/
CIMG4118.AVI
The "prisoner T-shirt" video is 10-times worse than the above because the guy was so close to the camera than the windmill was.
....."

Old Jul 1, 2005, 2:48 PM   #78

I have noticed a faint high pitched whine on my 750 video clips and was wondering if you have heard the same on the Kodak. Other threads say the problem. I have not noticed any color fringing under normal circumstances and have no stripes on hand but I will keep my eyes open for such anomalies. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 2:56 PM   #79

High pitched whine? Unfortunately "Yes" also for V550.

I am fairly convinced it's due to the AutoFocus lens motor movements - especially serious when capturing video of "hard to focus" objects e.g. TV screen where light intensity fluctuates. You will hear less or vitually absence of such noise for stationary objects.

Again, I am a easy-going guy - I don't care :-) because it's not frequent.

Old Jul 2, 2005, 8:20 AM   #80

Hi!

From the german customer support i received an e-mail explicitly saying that the v550 does not allow to use highspeed or Ultra cards. The camera was tested with normal sd/mmc cards up to 512mb. If I shouldn't be able to use my Sandisc 1gb Extreme III (133x) the Kodak won't be a buy for me.

Furthermore, I learned that 512mb cards allow to store 14min 19sec (VGA) and 36min 19sec (QVGA) movie.

Can this information be confirmed by some lucky owners?

Regards,
Sascha
Kodak V550 Germany is offline   Reply With Quote