Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 2, 2005, 9:58 AM   #81

My Sandisk Ultra II SD 1GB works just fast and smooth in the V550. In fact my "normal speed" Sandisk 256MB would stop recording 640x480 video at about 11sec, with the the V550 complaining something like "too slow card...".

See my notes above, and quoted here again: 640x480 video consumes memory at 500KB/sec. Strangely 320x240 does NOT take up proportionally 4 times less, but 200KB/sec.

I don't believe DC released in 2005 don't accept hi-speed SD cards. Would there be misunderstanding with the German Kodak support? Or they are just too official not to commit anything that hasn't been tested?

Also if you are a real German, you should buy Kodak since it uses a German lens :lol:
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 3:37 PM   #82

I was too looking to buy a pocket-size DC. The choice was between Canon SD500 and Casio Z750 at first. I read lots of reviews and compared the images. One day I was so confident that I am buying Canon, the other day - Casio. The situation must be familiar to other buyers of a new camera. Then I saw the review of Z750 by PhotoGraphics at Amazon.com, who summarized the advantages of Z750 so well, that I never changed my decision to buy Z750 since. Here is the link

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...o&n=507846

Then, I read the news anouncement about Casio EX-S500. Having an anti-shake DSP has always been something I wanted in a camera when taking pictures in a dim light. So, my hesitation returned. I read other formus where people where throwing more and more purchase ideas (like this one): Kodak v550, Fuji F10, Sony P200 etc etc etc. Eventually, I decided to stop my hesitations and think about what is important to me:

1. I usually need a camera when I am on a trip and have to take lots of pictures during a day without an access to electrical outlets to recharge the battery. I always review a picture after I take one, just to decide whether to keep it or reshoot. That is why LCD is there. I can't imagine taking pictures whole day without reviewng them only to discover later that half of them didn't come out well. So, I usually drain the battery fast. I used to have Canon S50. The battery would die after a couple of hours of use. What is so good about a camera if you can't take pictures when you need? So, having a long battery life is a MUST.

2. I want the camera to be small enough to carry it in a pocket. I go to places because I want to see them, not because I want to take their photos. So, carrying bulky and expensive SLR cameras everywhere I go is not my style. I am a point-and-shoot kind of guy, who only needs a camera when there is something decent to shoot.

3. I like to take landscape pictures and then zoom in on the features when I viewthem on my PC. Sometimes, I crop the picturesto make 8x11 prints or even larger (you can order a paiting like print of any size you want at Kinko and hang it on the wall in your house). So, havin a high resolution sensor is a must too.

4. I want the camera to have an optical viewfinder to be able to see what I am shooting when the sun shines on the LCD.

So, with thesefour considerations in mind, Casio EX-Z750 is a winner with its 325 shots/batery charge, small size and 7.2mp resolution. I am not mentioning other advantages like MPEG4 movie mode withits unique 5sec pre-movie that is continouosly recorded and stored in thecamera memory, before you push the record button (so that you don't miss that dolphin jumping out of the water) and manual controls that you can preset and store (like those famous -1 saturation and -1 sharpness adjustments).

Anothercamerathat comes close to the winner is Fuji FinePix F10 with its 500 shots/battery charge. Slightly thicker than Casio EX-Z750 and less resolution (6.2mp vs 7.2mp) and no optical viewfinder. Despite a lower resolution, I liked the images of F10 better than those of Z750 when compared side by side. You can find these images here:

http://www.dcresource.com/

As far as the absence of an optical viewfinder, F10 has a button that can make an LCD brighter if needed. However, some reviews indicate that Fuji F10 boosts the ISO setting when light starts fading. For example, whilea normal camera lowers the shutter speed from, say, 1/125 to 1/60 or 1/30, the F10 instead keeps the shutter speed at around 1/125 and increases the ISO from 80 to 400, 800, or even 1600. While that helps to take pictures inlow light settings without a flash, it also results in more noise.

Can anyone comment on F10 versus Z750?
gpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 11:58 AM   #83

My casio ex-z750 lasted one day, then i returned it.

The biggest problem is no focusing possible during movie capture.

That makes the movie mode useless.

Then the movie file does not play in quicktime.

Casio has to be brainless.

The photos i tested taking are not perfect: still has low light noise etc.

Not good enough yet.
strpyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 1:39 PM   #84

strpyw, after returning Casio Z750, what camera did you decide on? After reading lots of reviews, I understood one thing: the noise is determined by the sensor, and, generally, the more megapixels, the more noise for the given size of the optics. I believe Casio Z750, Canon SD500 and Sony P200 all use the same 7.2mp sensor made by Sony. So, you should expect the same noise performance in all three cameras. Fuji F10 uses its own 6.3mp sensor which has low noise performance in high ISO settings.So, Fuji F10 is considered to be the best among subcompact cameras for taking pictures in low light situations. But,judging bythe sample photos posted by dcresource.com, it has way too much purple fringing. Plus, I went to the local store and had a look at this camera. Plastic body feels cheap. You drop it a couple of times and it is gone. I had my Canon S50 (metal body) dropped on the rock so many times when climbing in the mountains that it had deep dents all around the body. And it continued working fine. So, I want the camera with a metal body.

As far as the movie mode, none of the mentioned cameras will zoom the lenses in the movie mode (Nikon 7900 does not use optical zoom either). The big advantage of Casio Z750 is using MPEG4 compression to store the movie file on the memory card. So, for the same memory card, you can store twice as much in movie time.

There is no perfect camera for everybody. If a high quality movie is a must, then you should consider buying a camcorder isntead of a camera.

One thing the buyers of subcompact cameras should be aware when looking at the resolution, picture quality etc. When you hold such a small camera in your hands, the picture quality will depend mostly on how firm you hold your hands. I consider my hands firm, but I still have to reshoot the same scene 2-3 times to make sure that I don't get a blury picture. To get a real use of those megapixels, you have to put the camera on a tripod. But then why do you need a subcompact camera. Your tripod will be at least5 times bigger than the camera. So, if you are planning to carry a tripod with you, might as well buy a full-size camera. The latter will give you a better picture quality especially in dim light situations (look at Canon Digital Rebel XT).

I think we just want too much from a card-deck-size camera IMO
gpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 1:52 PM   #85

The next one i tried was the sony T7.I really wanted to have a small camera in my purse, ready to go anytime.Using Apple's iLife, I can make more interesting photo slide show presentation in form of dvd format, with menu and music, etc, rather than home movies that is usually too long.The T7 was returned after one try, again because it has file corruption problem.I have DC from Olympus, (two of them), one Sony, and Sony is the only one with file corruption all the time. So this T7 ,fresh from the box, and a new stick, and it just scares me¬* enough to jettison it because of file corruption.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 8:30 PM   #86

I believe the Z750 does focus during movie mode. I could hear it after setting it in macro mode and placing it on the ground to capture a wild mourning dove close up. After reviewing the footage I could hear the mechanical focus mechanism periodically operating. Also you can easily edit the movie segments while they are in the camera. The¬* video quality rivals single chip camcorders at high quality. There is absolutely no reason for turning in a camera after one day without fully learning what it¬* can do. I would never buy a camera without being able to return it after 10 days. I am still learning about things I never thought I could do with the Z750. I use it to transfer files from my mac to my PC and visa versa. With the proper Quicktime codec I can view my MPEG4 video fom the Z750 on my Powerbook 17".¬* I can even easily trim¬* the clip on my Powerbook with Quicktime. Since I have the advantage of a Canon GL2 camcorder I can connect the Z750 to the GL2's video input and record the MPEG4 video to the GL2's DV tape. Then I have DV from my Z750 without all the conversion software hassle. I am considering posting some of this converted footage on my web page soon.¬*
buddy1065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:18 PM   #87

For Mac user, the avi format of the mpeg4 movie of the Casio camera is not compatible with Apple Quicktime.

Other avi file from Sony, Olympus, Canon , etc are without such problems!

I called Casio support line, and they confirm it is not readable by quicktime, and they suggested ffmpeg to do conversion .

It is a joke because that led to another three codec download, and the end result is still full of artifact.

During movie capture with the Casio, there is no zooming with focusing possible, unlike the Sony T7 i tried later.

For mac user who is used to everything just works, both Casio and Sony are untouchables.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:32 PM   #88

I am sitting here posting on my 17" Powerbook right now and the codec I used lets me view the video like it just came out of the Z750. I can trim the clip any way I wish with only Quicktime and I see no artifacts or resolution loss. It is all quite simple and easy. Doesn't seem you want to even know which codec I use. Anyway it is working flawlessly.¬*I never mentioned zooming during movie mode , as I know also it cannot zoom optically.¬* It is a given that you cannot focus a digital zoom. However the cam does afford you the ability to zoom in optically before pressing the record button. Quite frankly a one speed zoom on a digital cam is nothing I would be too upset about if it was missing.¬* I am more concerned with the video quality which is amazing to me.¬* But I still am not convinced it can't focus during movie capture without zooming.¬* Maybe you misunderstood my post; I meant focusing during movie recording without using the digital zoom.¬*By the way the codec was a free download.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:41 PM   #89

I do know that Casio may not be in the knowledge of such codecs, just as Verizon personnel say the PC5220 Broadband Access card is not compatable with Macs, but here I am on the net wirelessly with the card plugged into my Powerbook without the need of base stations or routers. It's not the first time a company is misinformed and it will not be the last. Perhaps I overlooked something but all the Olympus cams either had too slow frame rates or not high quality 640x480 so Olympus Quicktime movie digital cams were not considered good enough for me.¬* ¬*Here is a link that describes the codec:¬* ¬*http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7231¬* ¬*
Old Jul 4, 2005, 7:31 AM   #90

Here is a link to one of my Z750 movies:

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/iMovieTheater40.html

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" If you have a Mac you must have the codec to view it. I set the Z750 on the ground in the park where wild doves come and caught this ring necked dove on camera in macro mode as I watched several feet away. More Movies and pics will be posted as I experiment with Quicktime and editing in iMovie.By the way, you can download the movie in order to show it full screen on your computer.