Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old May 22, 2005, 5:51 AM   #1

Before you buy your next camera take a look at LCD size on the product line up of Canon SD500 and Casio Z750.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/ex-z750.html

Attached Images

viking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2005, 6:46 AM   #2

The LCD size was one of the reasons I chose the Casio EX-Z750 over the Canon SD500. However, three things should be noted about the Z750's LCD: no anti-glare coating, lower resolution, no automatic "gain up" on the display brightness in low light situations.

I am a very novice photographer, just point-and-shoot. From my experience with the Z750 (which is limited so far), the lower resolution did not bother me at all. The glare bothered me a little but I have the same problems with my old Canon S110 in bright sunlight. Despite the lack of automatic "gain up", the display brightness can be manually adjusted. In fact, the default setting for the leftand right arrows is to adjust the display brightness.
garnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 4:47 AM   #3

garnold wrote:
Quote:
no automatic "gain up" on the display brightness in low light situations.

I keep on being confused by this statement... I would have though that in low light situations, you would want the display the "gain down" as when it is dark, you don't need it as bright, and in high light situations you would want the display to "Gain up"....
Anyone care to explain? :-)

muckypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 6:26 AM   #4

The LCD is very good and clear to me, I cant se any problem with LCD resolution at all.

Any LCD behave similar in bright sunlight. The only way to get a real visible LCD in bright sunlight is by using a electroluminescence LCD type. But this takes too much power and takes too much space.

Old May 25, 2005, 9:25 AM   #5

The review of theSD500 on dcresource.com describes the "Night Display" feature as follows:

"One of the night features on the SD400 and SD500 is called Night Display. This automatically brightens the screen in low light situations so you can actually see what you're looking at."

Inthe conclusion,Jeff says "The SD500 has a nicely sized 2.0" LCD display that gains up in low light situations."

The Casio EX-Z750 has no feature that allowsautomatic adjustment of the display for low-light situations. Unfortunately I don't knowthe details of how the Night Display feature works on the SD500 (i.e. "gain up" vs "gain down"). But the brief description of the Night Display featureby the reviewer makesit soundsawfully useful.

The general point of my reply to viking7 was that "size" should not be the only factor when comparing the LCD displays.
garnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 1:45 PM   #6

but why would you want it brighter when it's dark?

My Sat-Nav dims the display when the light is low so you are not dazzled. It's sounds the wrong way around to me!!
Old May 25, 2005, 1:56 PM   #7

garnold wrote:
Quote:
The general point of my reply to viking7 was that "size" should not be the only factor when comparing the LCD displays.
So far no camera is perfect - the Z750 is not perfect but I find it close to perfect or more perfect than others I looked at. I can live with the no-gain at night.
Old May 25, 2005, 11:30 PM   #8

muckypup wrote:
Quote:
but why would you want it brighter when it's dark?

My Sat-Nav dims the display when the light is low so you are not dazzled. It's sounds the wrong way around to me!!
if your in a dark enviroment, then the screen will just look completely black to you and you cannot see what you are taking a picture of, but when it gains up it increases the brightness of the screen so you can actually see what the camera is looking at.
brb4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 3:43 AM   #9

I'll have to have a play with my IXUS400 (no, I have not got a Z750 yet, but It's number 1 choice at the moment for it's replacement!!) and see.
Old May 28, 2005, 1:09 AM   #10

muckypup wrote:
Quote:
garnold wrote:
Quote:
no automatic "gain up" on the display brightness in low light situations.

I keep on being confused by this statement... I would have though that in low light situations, you would want the display the "gain down" as when it is dark, you don't need it as bright, and in high light situations you would want the display to "Gain up"....
Anyone care to explain? :-)

I think it is not really brigher over all but more like more contrast, or subject brightness, almost like night vision. Since there is less light to see the subject it makes the subject brighter so you can see it. If that makes sense. Yea, you would not want a glareing brightness, but you need more brightness to see the dim subject.
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote