Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 26, 2005, 8:42 PM   #11

I purchased a Casio EX-750 about 2 months ago. It had a lens error appear when swithing from the "picture taking" mode to the "viewing picture" mode. I called Casio and they explained that this was a defect and that I should return the camera to the store. I returned the camera and waited a month for a new one (back order).

The new camera is better, no longer having lens error while switching between these two modes, but the camera has had 2 lens errors when being turned on (I have been using the camera for about 2 weeks). These have occurred with nothing obstructing the lens. The error eventually goes away when turning the camera on and off. The lens gets stuck out and with repeated "powers" eventually moves. This camera also takes blurry pictures off and on, not consistently (about 1 out of every 5 or 6). It has much difficulty focusing with the zoom on and does not focus at all on objects close up - such as flowers, grass, frogs, bugs, etc... I also noticed that some of the menus in the new camera are more complete then in the previous camera (they contain more). I never would have realized this on the first camera had I not seen it on the second!!

I plan to call Casio once again. I love the video mode, features, and size of this camera, but I am reluctant to try a 3rd time...
Julbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:18 AM   #12

I got a z750 this weekend and after an hour or so, the lens got stuck perm extended. The only way to get it back into the camera was force it whilst trying to power the unit on. VERY VERY CAREFULLY !!!

Symptoms were
whilst in normal use I accidentally obstructed the lens once or twice (its so damn small this camera so its easy to make this mistake initially)
The lens error message appeared on both occasions and the unit retracted the lens and powered off. So far no problem.
After taking a few pics and going through the menus I switched to playback mode by pressing the green play button the image of the last photo was shown. Normally the lens would retract after a min or so when in playback (power save). This did not happen. I pressed the power button and the camera switched off but the lens still did not retract. I pressed the power on button and the camera made the startup sound this was followed by the lens motor whirring. No display image came on the screen and the camera immediately seemed to switch off with lens still out. I pressed the on off button and tried various dial positions on the camera and various (soft) pushes of the lens whilst turning it on (a couple of not so serious knocks did no good). The only way to get the image on the screen was to do the Casio software version power on procedure. This displayed the ver 1.0 but after power off the unit still did not work. When I forced the lens in when trying to power on the camera the lens went all the way in and the unit would switch on correctly the first time but once the lens was out it stayed there. The zoom did seem to function after following the manual lens push in.

I took the unit back to the UK camera shop where I purchased it and had it replaced as DOA. So far the new unit is great and I have had it switch on once in my pocket and the lens retraced as it should and there seems to have been no ill effects.

All I can say is there is a bad batch of cameras. BTW my replacement is an earlier serial than the one that went faulty. Go figure……….

On the camera side, the unit is a little colour over saturated so I set the unit to -1 on the quality menu and that seems to be more realistic and as for the 24x zoom its amazing as long as there's loads of light and the unit is on a tripod. So far it does everything I want and some things I don't want. Low light shots are great which is why I got a camera with a manual mode.

I hope that if your reading this is not because you have a problem with your camera !
tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:57 PM   #13

returned the camera
zteddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:21 AM   #14

Can we tell by SN if the fix has been made? I last Sat bought the Z50 and now Wed Target where I bought it got in the Z750 I am thinking of switching to 750 but will be going on vacation a few days from now/

Not sure if the 750 is worth the risk

trido
trido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 4:17 PM   #15

My Z750 started with the Lens Error a couple of days ago after I somehow turned it on while pulling it out of my back pocket and blocked the lens from extending for a second. The Lens Error occurs only when extending the lens or turning the camera on, and not always. I suspected that it has something to do with the camera position when powering on, but it's not consistent. After Lens Error it turns itself off, then it usually powers up OK on the next try.

From some of the previous posts, it looks like a potential "cure" for this is to intentionally block the lens? Am I reading this right? It sounds counter-intuitive.

I've had the camera for about a month already, bought it from a Costco. Do I have any return / exchange options?
Oxojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 4:06 AM   #16

try to use the following advise :

http://www.kenrockwell.com/casio/exz750p4lens.htm#lens

[align=left]LENS ERROR Message[/align] [align=left]It's fairly common to get this message if you get something in the way when the lens tries to open. I got this all the time before I disabled the default POWER ON when you press the PLAY or RECORD buttons when I carry the EX-Z750 in my pocket. It would get turned on by accident and get caught in my pocket half open.[/align] [align=left]Be sure there's no dirt or anything caught in the collapsing lens assembly. Turn on the camera to extend the lens and then be sure the sides of the lens barrel are clean. Crud can get caught inside the tight clearances and gum up the works. It's easy to keep clean, but if you don't it may jam and give you that warning.[/align] [align=left]Likewise if the lens knocks into anything while opening it might get a little jammed and give you that warning. Carefully nudge the lens by rotating it till it's free and then open and close it and it should be fine.[/align] [align=left]This is common and not a sign that yours is bad. The EX-Z750 is a delicate precision instrument moving a complex assembly in and out very quickly with a small motor. It can't do this if it has pocket lint in it or is stuck inside a camera cast trying to open.[/align]

combat2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 10:33 AM   #17

I am looking into the z750 850 or newest z1000 series of Casio cameras. I know most of the reviews about the Len Errors were posted back in 2005, does anyone have any update on this problem, has Casio resolved it. I have read others having the problem and Casio said it isn't covered under warranty and cost over $250.00 to repair and waited a long time, with poor service department response. The camera looks like the best for the $$ with its features and the MPEG4 movies.... but what above the LEN ERROR problem? Thanks for any new information
FAST EDDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 10:39 PM   #18

I too zeroed on the Casio Z750 and it had all the cool features like MPEG4 which I do not want to miss out. But am not sure about the lens error. This is what is keepign me from ordering. CNET has a rating of 7.6 so doe snot seem a bad camera but still anxious because of the lens error. Some help would be appreciated, I was thinking to get one by memorial day
vaibhavsri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 2:33 PM   #19

I was reseachingwhich camera to buy to replace my Canon A40for quite some time and ended up with 4 cameras to choose from.. Canon SD600, Casio EX-Z120, EX-Z750 and EX-Z850.

I really like having the manual controls of the casio's, so I dropped the Canon from my list.
After reading countless reviews and opinions on the casios, I ended up ordering the EX-Z120. Why? I don't like being tied to the docking station if I want to view things on the TV, or download my pictures. Also on the 750 the Lens error scared me

My ideal camera from Casio would be the EX-Z850 but with AA batteries and no docking station needed and with the Movie mode from the EZ-Z750.
Msan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 11:01 PM   #20

So is the issue only with Z750 and not with other models in the Exilim series. I would be surprised if that is the case and does z850 not have this problem
vaibhavsri is offline   Reply With Quote