Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old May 22, 2006, 5:42 PM   #31

not sure i understand... The Casio records onto SD card, after watching, before you clear the card, how or where are you saving the video? Thanks Ed
FAST EDDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 7:57 PM   #32

I was thinking he meant that his DVD player reads the files in their current format, so he doesn't convert the MPEG-4 to the DVD standard MPEG-2; he just writes the cameras files to a DVD and it plays on his DVD player. Maybe I was wrong. Just in case you forgot http://www.winavi.com/en/download/download.htmallows you to download WinAvi converter, which will convert the cameras video files to the DVD format, which you can then burn.
patrickriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 6:00 PM   #33

We've had our Z55 for over two years - got it right after it was released in the US. Saw the dreaded "lens error" for the first time two weeks ago. Desperate for a quick fix, I dropped it carefully onto it's short end from about 3 feet onto a vinyl kitchenfloor. A miracle cure. Thanks for the tip.

humrrojb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 3:22 AM   #34

Believe it or not - I too dropped my camera (Casio Z50) from a standing height onto my bed and lo!! its working fine now.

The lens was opening and then showing me the "Lens error" message and shutting down. After i dropped it once its working fine. Got to see how long it will work......
rajas75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 12:44 AM   #35

I bought a Z850 3 weeks ago. After 1 week the lens jammed half way but with no error message. Took it back to the shop I bought it from and they'll let me know in a "month". Sure to be my last Casio camera.

Have had a Z3 for over 3 years and never a problem.
dreimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:35 AM   #36

I don't believe thatthey have Fixed The dredded LensError . I have lost complete faith in casio . My camera has been repaired 3 times . I take very good care and I am very cautious . My camera is in mint condition and the lens has never been accidentally hit into anything and never any dirt in it . It is a terrible design flaw . Finally they replaced it with a refurbished model in August which they only give you a 90 day warranty to show you how little faith that they have in their own repairs . Now it is Feb. and LENS ERROR is back ! I live in NJ where there repair center is and I know how to get there better then my own job now . I just dropped it off again and they told me that they would fix it for $125 plus tax . Bull I called and pestered about 4 different times to no avail and finally the 5 th time they have reviewed all of repairs . Which when you drop off your camera they have you fill out your complaints and what you want done . In everyone that I have filled out I wrote . This is a company error not my fault I want a new camera or my moneyback !!I also have written that Casio needs to have a recall and that the better business bureau needs some involvement . The Supervisorsaid as a one time courtesy they will fix it for me again . Every single timeit has been there they have replaced the entire lens assembly . I always have them document that my camera is in perfect condition .They will not admit that this is a common problem . I love the camera when it works ,but once I get it back I am selling it and never buying a Casio product again .
lisaandchrisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:31 PM   #37

Ok I am on vacation in Italy, and I have my Z750 with me. I have had it for about 2 yrs with NO problems, I am in love with this camera actually... All of a sudden today when I took it out to take pics it said Lens Error when I tried to start it up, and shut off without showing anything in the viewfinder. When I tried to startup again it showed images in the viewfinder but it was blurry and none of the specs around the viewfinder popped up (ie flash on etc), then it said Lens Error and shut off again.

Eventually it works and I can take pics, but it ONLY lets me focus on things in the near foreground, not anything at a distance. And this is without zooming in, it takes pics in Macro mode or close up (within 2-3 feet or so). But anything past it the autofocus stays red. Also once today when I started it up, it actually DID focus on things up close, but I accidentally hit the off button and after that it went back to Lens Error and not focusing far distances.

Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is that today before all this happened it looked like there was a spot on the lens and I tried to gently wipe it back and forth with a soft cloth. Could that have caused it? I still have 3 days left in my trip and I would really rather not use a disposable camera for the rest of it! HELP!
Leila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 6:10 PM   #38

I have bought, and fixed many of the Casio cameras with the lens error on eBay. It usually doesn't require any parts. I buy and fix cameras as a hobby.

The Casio cameras EX-Z series (EX-Z60, EX-Z750, etc)has two motors in the lens. One for the zoom, and one for the focus. If the lens extends ok, and you hear a wierd noise, then it's the focus motor. These cameras seem to be really sensitive to dirt, or impact. The good thing is, I've found they're not too hard to fix. Most I've repaired have had some debris in the gears, or were whacked hard enought to put them out of alignment.

[email protected]

jayfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 6:47 PM   #39

It's clear from the number of posts all over the internet that there was a systemic problem with this model which did not necessarily require abuse or accidents to cause the issue to start. I have had one for two years and always treat all my cameras with TLC. Butit got the dreaded lens error after a year. But, since then, when I power it up, it extends the lens OK, probably tries to autofocus and gets the "lens error" message. I power it off (retract the lens), power it on, and all is right with the world. Until next time. I've tolerated it and it works like clockwork that way. However, I've also noticed that if I holdit in my hand gently and power off between shots and not jostle it too much,it will work normally. Put it away for awhile (in a belt case or on the car seat, for instance) andit will require the double power cycle.

Twice, it's gotten the lens out and refused to reset - but each time cycling the power multiple times finally gets it to retract and then it works OK after that. Hearing folks say how they got a refurb or a repair from Casio that does the same thing eventually tells me the problem is with the design, not a speck of dust or the occasional finger over the lens.

It's truly a great little camera, but has gotten to the point where I'm afraid of it going belly up at some critical time (not to mention losing shots because you are messing around with it trying to get it to go to work!) All my other cameras are Olympus and I am trying to decide between the newest Casio (EX-X1050) or an Oly Stylus. It's a tough choice, there are a lot of things I like about the Casio! The one I don't is the clear lack of standing behind an issue that has been brought to their attention in many ways. I'm not paying them to fix an error that was theirs to begin with (or take a chance on getting another if I got mine repaired by them).

-Dave

hemingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:01 PM   #40

Default Bad lens design?

I own a Casio EX-Z750. I have owned it since 2005. Not once have I had to fiddle with the lens assembly. It works as flawlessly today as it did the day I bought it. The only issue I've had was a broken LCD screen, which I replaced with an OEM LCD screen found on eBay. Over 250,000 pics have been taken with my EX-Z750, and not one lens error, ever.

Long story short, there is not a design flaw, so much as there are a bunch of people who abuse their cameras. Treat them like faberge eggs instead of disposable junk cameras, and they will last forever...

For what it's worth, I am not affiliated with any companies or organizations who buy, sell, design, build, or market cameras.

Peace...

P.S. - Sorry for the dusty thread bump.
datashifter is offline   Reply With Quote