Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old May 23, 2005, 6:25 AM   #1

I recently purchased a Casio EX-Z750 thru one of the Amazon.com partners. After about 70-80 pics I started receiving a "Lens Error" message when I zoom in to about 80% on the optical zoom. I have seen other reports of the"Lens Error" message for this model. Casio tech support told me to either call Casio Repairs or return it to the vendor.

My questions:Can anyone tell me about their experiences with the Casio Repairs department? Did you have to pay for the shipping? How long did you have to wait for the camera to be returned?
garnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2005, 4:02 PM   #2

I can't recommend this, but I has just the same problem. This morning I packed the camera up, ready to go to the store where I got it to have it repaired. However I managed to rop it on the ground before I even got outof the house - and, believe it or not, this actuelly solved the problem!

But, again, can't recommend anyone to do the same though.
wukong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 4:53 AM   #3

How far did it drop? What type of floor? Not that i'd actually drop mine. I will be sending my camera back to the place from which I purchased it.The Casio tech support guy did say the lens errorcould becaused bya grain of sand or dirt. Maybe the drop dislodged something.
Old May 24, 2005, 10:41 AM   #4

It was just about one meter down on an wooden floor. Whatever it was, I sure hope the drop solved it permanently!
wukong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 7:54 PM   #5

It happens once for me. The lens was block from extending all the way and it has len error.
story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:43 AM   #6

i believe this is the bug of Z750, i triedto use singlehand topress the len not to let it popping up, and simultaneously pressing the"on" to purposely making it "hang" once again, this worked on mine.
usathomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:06 PM   #7

Evidently the problem is caused by restricting the extension of the lens. If there was a comparable camera I would have ordered something a little easier to live with. I really like the camera and am willing to be as careful as possible to keep it. Too bad Casio didn't do a little better testing before releasing the camera.

I recently got mine and am glad I read owner's posts on all the boards. As soon as I got the battery charged I made sure the auto-on feature was turned off. After I have thoroughly tested the camera to make sure I don't have to return it I plan to elongate a small O-ring with a piece of toothpick and glue it around the power button. I don't want it powering up until I am sure the lens is clear.

Some people are carrying the camera in audio record mode to make sure it doesn't extend until they are sure it is clear. That bypasses one of the strong points of the camera in that you can have a photo recorded within a couple seconds of turning on the power. I'm not willing to do that.

I have seen posts by a couple of others at dpreview that had success with usathomas's solution. Might be a last step before sending it for repairs after you can no longer return it.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 8:17 PM   #8

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
zteddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:48 AM   #9

zteddie, does your lens error occur on a consistent basis? If so,when/how does it happen? The problem with mine (see first message in this thread) was that it occurredEVERY TIME whenzooming in to about 80% of the optical zoom.

I eventually returned my camera for another Z750 (which I am still waiting for). A few days after I posted the original message for this thread, the lens errors on my "damaged" camera seemed to go away.I did purposely block the lens on startup a few times. That didn't seem to solve the problem immediately,but it did stop occuring shortly thereafter. Icontinued to havesome focus problems that I assumed were related to the lens errors.

I'm not sure I fully understand the message of usathomas. I do believe the lens error can occur in legitimate cases, such as when the lens is blocked on startup. It only makes sense for the camera to protect itself. But, as I think usathomas is suggesting, perhaps manually causinga lenserror might help correct non-legit lens errors.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:36 AM   #10

my friend's Z750 got the same "lens error" problem, hemade a fewtry of blocking the len while pressing the "on",the"lens error" gone for the time being
usathomas is offline   Reply With Quote