Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 2, 2005, 8:46 AM   #1

Ihave seen various discussions and still non the wiser which one to get.

I am not interested in the manual settings.

i really only need a good quality camera that takes excellent photos on automatic setting and is easy for my wife to turn on and just shoot

the only other criteria is that there is minimal shutter lag as we miss capturing the 'right' shot - subject moves etc

So which one is best for that?
Gubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2005, 12:20 PM   #2

Gubby wrote:
Quote:
I have seen various discussions and still non the wiser which one to get.

I am not interested in the manual settings.

i really only need a good quality camera that takes excellent photos on automatic setting and is easy for my wife to turn on and just shoot

the only other criteria is that there is minimal shutter lag as we miss capturing the 'right' shot - subject moves etc

So which one is best for that?
Your comparison should be between Casio Z750 and Kodak V550. The Canon SD500 is hopless behind and not realy an option today as I see it.
viking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 1:07 PM   #3

why do you think its not an option

is it purely on size/processing ability/quality etc
Old Jun 2, 2005, 2:31 PM   #4

Gubby wrote:
Quote:
why do you think its not an option

is it purely on size/processing ability/quality etc
Both the Casio Z750 and Kodak V550 have:

2.5" LCD
MPEG4 video
Docking Station
4-5 mm slimmer
Old Jun 2, 2005, 2:53 PM   #5

thanks

dothese 2 both have less shutter lag than the Canon

i currently have a Pentax S4 and its quite slow, which annoys the hell out of my wife
Old Jun 2, 2005, 3:42 PM   #6

From this site:

Casio Z750

Shooting performance was robust. From power up to first image captured averaged 1.8 seconds, which confirms Casio's claim of extremely fast start-up times. This is pretty amazing when you consider it has to extend the lens and boot up. The all important shutter lag is almost non-existent when pre-focused and only 1/10 of a second including autofocus. The shot-to-shot delay averaged just under 1.6 seconds without the use of the flash and 2.0 seconds with the flash.

Canon SD500

The SD500 is quite responsive, especially considering its size and resolution. From power-on until the first image is captured takes less than 1.5 seconds, while waking the camera from its power-saving mode took just over 1 second. Shutter lag, the delay between depressing the shutter button and capturing an image, measured 1/10 second when pre-focused, and 1/2 second including autofocus. In single image drive mode, shots can be taken at 1.5 second intervals without flash, and at intervals of between 2 and 8 seconds with flash depending on subject distance.

Now yocky's 2c:

So it would seem the Casio is more responsive. Maybe this is a moe helpful reply than stating that the Canon is not an option because it has no docking bay. These are both excellent cameras. Having checked out both I would say the Canon is unbeatable for image quality in perfect, bright conditions, but the Casio is a more rounded package.
yocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 3:48 AM   #7

Still - its ovious that the Casio Z750 and Kodak V550 are the leading ultra compact cameras today - perhaps the Kodak is the leading one - but we will have to wait till Steve makes a review.

Regarding shutter lag, the above tells that Z750 has a lower shutter lag than the SD500 ( 1/2 second is a lot ) - dont know about the V550.

Picture quality - its so close now that this is not an issue any more for the latest 5MP or 7MP cameras.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:22 AM   #8

Viking, I'm having great difficulty taking you seriously. First of all you rule out a wonderful camera because it has no MPEG4 video. Then you are tempted to send the Kodak to the top of the class without seeing a review or sample photos to compare.

I'm not sure a career in journalism is beckoning.
yocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:03 PM   #9

I'll repost this as I think it is relevant.

O. K. I just had a careful look at the Kodak's spechs. It has a beautiful LCD. Yup. However..it is not at all in the same league as the Casio EX Z 750. The Kodak has quite a few program modes...but no shutter priority...no manual overides like the Z 750. etc. etc. It is much more like the Canon SD 500...A point a shoot that lacks the tremendous creative versatility that the Casio 750 has. The image stabalization appears to be video only.

Here is the Kodak spech listing;

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=7106&pq-locale=en_US

I urge you to compare it to the following Casio EX Z 750 review:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/casio/exz750.htm#intro

This is in no way a knock at the Kodak. They are just not competition. Different capabilities at almost the same price.
By the way...the spechs for the Kodak are not clear about whether the video zoom is optical or digital.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 2:07 PM   #10

yocky wrote:
Quote:
Viking, I'm having great difficulty taking you seriously. First of all you rule out a wonderful camera because it has no MPEG4 video. Then you are tempted to send the Kodak to the top of the class without seeing a review or sample photos to compare.

I'm not sure a career in journalism is beckoning.
Im sorry to rule out the wonderfull SD500, it must be terrible for you. Its not only because of MPEG4, also LCD size, docking station, shutter lag, 4-5mm thicker, SD driver problem, no or few manual settings .......

If you cant see that the Z750 and the new Kodak V550 outperforms the SD500 on almost any spec, then please examine carefuly the specs of the cameras.

Many die hard Canon fans seems to have difficult to accept that Canon is not on the top 3 list any more. Take for example docking station - Canon users still have to plug the tiny USB plug into the camera every time you want to download pictures to the PC, and still have to pull out the batteries to charge in a seperate charger - old fashion.

Yeah - I know the Canon argument that cable is better than docking cradle, but you can get a cable too for the Z750 if you realy prefere cable. You cant get a docking station for the Canon if you prefer that.

I like Casio and have just got the EX-Z750, have also the Casio EX-S100, but will be the first to admit that the new Kodak V550 on paper seems a tiny bit better than the Z750. However the Z750 is a great camera and a 99% perfect camera - the only thing which could make it better is anti-shake in video mode - but not realy important.

And - Im not a journalist - just a user and the owner of 3 digital cameras since 3 years. My first one was the Canon Powershot A40 - never Canon again.

Please read my prevoius post about the V550 carefully:

"perhaps the Kodak is the leading one - but we will have to wait till Steve makes a review"