Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 7, 2005, 10:45 PM   #1

I'm a camera newbie and just bought the z750 for its easy point and click usage. I was wondering what's the best settings for taking low light/night images without a tripod to avoid blurring? Is theBest Shot Night setting the best?

Also what image size /quality settings to most people use? I'm leaving for vacation soon and was wondering how low I can get away with toconservememory space? Thanks for any help.
rst808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2005, 3:47 AM   #2

"what's the best settings for taking low light/night images without a tripod to avoid blurring?"

- mostly, indoor or outdoor? flash or no flash? pictures for stillsubjector in action?

"Also what image size /quality settings to most people use? I'm leaving for vacation soon and was wondering how low I can get away with toconservememory space? Thanks for any help."

- mostly, photo print size(or only for monitor use) you want to develope after the trip? what is size of sd card you are bringing with you? approx how many pictures will you take? approx how long is the trip?

hope other more experienced will help!

cheers
netswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 8:20 PM   #3

"mostly, indoor or outdoor? flash or no flash? pictures for stillsubjector in action?"

-mostly outdoor, non-flash, still city type pictures.

"mostly, photo print size (or only for monitor use) you want to develope after the trip? what is size of sd card you are bringing with you? approx how many pictures will you take? approx how long is the trip?"

-it would be nice to develop these but I probably won't be making any posters. 1 have a 1gig sd card for a 1 week trip to Japan. I'm not sure how many picture I plan to take but whatever setting I use I hope to fill up the card . Probably with a couple video's as well.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 7:18 AM   #4

Outdoor night city handheld with no tripod & no flash ...

Set LCD brightness to high or use optical viewfinder. Try use ISO100-200 (ISO400 is really too grainy imho), Shutter Priority mode - probably something slower than 1/10 sec (experiment with different speed settings), EV set to the max (2.0), focus to infinity, largest possible aparture. Try leanonto something stable like a tree orwall. Set normal continuousburst (lefthand upper button) & snap 5 to10 frames, choose & keepthe one you like best after that by play/zoom (8x), or if you don't like any ... shoot again! :G

Of course, a mini tripodwith 2/sec delay timer setting (even the pocket type tripod) will help & prolly save you a lot of time!

Try use the highest possible resolution, you might want to crop them later for a better composed picture! A 1gig card should give you 220 3072x2704 fine pictures. If you take a total of 15min high res video, you still have approx 3/4 space for pics (about 150).

Have a nice trip!

Cheers
Old Jun 9, 2005, 9:23 PM   #5

netswap, you're awesome . Thats very helpful. Thank you.

Just to verify, when I put the z750 into manual/ shutter priority mode, the aperture will be automatically set by the camera correct? Testing it, it seems to set it at f2.8 which i think is the largest opening for ther aperture.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:20 AM   #6

"shutter priority mode, the aperture will be automatically set by the camera correct?"

Yes, at widest angle (7.9mm) setting, it prolly will stay at f2.8 till may be shutter is slower than 1.5/sec, it'll than step down to f4.0 than with further slower shutter down to f5.6 ... experiment! Its fun!

NS