Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 13, 2005, 4:43 PM   #11

I'll post a video as soon as I get to a SD reader (I'm at work right now).

The video is a good example of both the focus clicking away, and the whine.
lukester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:01 PM   #12

Torben Scharling wrote:
Quote:
Please upload an untouched HQ clip in a quiet setting and post the link that comes up after uploading: www.yousendit.com (you don't have to write any email)
I did make a clip in absolutly silence, when I turn up the volume I can actualy hear this sound you talk about.

Made a similar test with the S100, it was almost silent.

I also made test in normal and LP mode. It seems that the noice is different from mode to mode. It is definatly not a sound which comes from the camera it self.

As far as I remember it, all mics pic up "room noise" even in dead rooms, its some sort of a electrical noise. I think you will discover this phenomen in any video recorder. Some mics have auto-gain, they will turn up the sensitivity when there is no sound around. Also, the compression software will add some noise to the sound image. You can solve this by adding some filtering.

Lets see what Casio can do in the next firmware update.
viking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:12 PM   #13

I disagree. It is definately a sound the camera makes. I can put my ear to the camera and hear it making the electrical whine noise. Try just listening to your 750 and see if it is making the whine.

I agree though, that in any silent environment the microphone is going to record a hiss sound. This would be normal. The electrical whine, and the focus clicking are not normal. Especially the whine, since it is something they could produce the camera without.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:33 PM   #14

When shooting the movie its silent. When I replay I can hear the noise clearly, from the speaker in the camera. I cant hear a thing from the camera when not replaying video clips - so the sound is a non-camera sound, its a mic sound or a software sound. Anyway - personlay since I didnt recognice the sound till you wrote about it, it dosnt bother me at all, I live with it - nothing is perfect.

I got the focus clicking you mention the first two videos I shot. Then I changed focus mode, since I had red about this problem before I baught the camera.

From factury the camera is set to AF ( autofocus ). In video mode you must set the focus mode to non-AF. Thats it. I have mine set to Pan Focus all the time in all modes, and mode set to snap shot.

When you buy a camera with this amount of flexible manual settings, you must expect to use some time to play around and find the right settings right
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:59 PM   #15

It sounds like your camera does not make the whine. You would have heard it from the camera itself, not just the recorded movie. That is a good sign. Casio told me that not all of them did the whine, and I should try to return it for another one. Since you have verified that yours does not whine, I'm gonna do just that.

Thanks for your help.

Old Jun 14, 2005, 3:29 AM   #16

lukester01 wrote:
Quote:
It sounds like your camera does not make the whine. You would have heard it from the camera itself, not just the recorded movie. That is a good sign. Casio told me that not all of them did the whine, and I should try to return it for another one. Since you have verified that yours does not whine, I'm gonna do just that.

Thanks for your help.
Sorry, but I simply can't rely on viking7's answer! Allthough hé may not hear the camera making noise he's not the first photographer to disregard this noise eventhough it's there. People have different tolerance's towards sounds, smells, images etc. The noise IS coming from the camera, so before I hear some proof, a video clip in HQ without the noise, or an audio recording of the actual camera when recording the video, I'm not convinced.
Torben Scharling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 4:24 AM   #17

I can hear the sound you mention if I make a video clip in a silent room, but only when i replay the video clip. So the sound is in the video clip !

I can not hear the sound when recording the video, or when the camera is just turned on.

You can beleave me or not - thats your choice. I don´t earn money on this, just trying to help. Maybe its there - but I cant hear it. If this sound realy anoys you, then I suggest you get another camera, like for example the new S500 or the Kodak V550.

Some cameras have more whine, some less whine. That should be expected, since no mic is equal from production.

1) When the camera is in picture mode, does it whine ?
2) Set your ear next to the speaker in picture mode, does the whine come from the speaker ?
3) Try to turn down the volumen in various modes, does it affect the whine level ?
4) Try to record a sound clip, what happens ?
5) Listen to the camera, wait till the LCD turn off at time out, does the sound dissapear ? ( If yes , its the powersupply for the LCD ).

6) Did you try to set the mode to PAN FOCUS ? Did it solve your problem whith the clicking?

Old Jun 14, 2005, 5:05 AM   #18

I believe you can't hear it...my mom probably wouldn't be able to hear it....but that still doesn't mean it's not there :-)

You could have one that doesn't make noice when the lcd is on...I'd just have to see it or hear some proof to believe it that's all. Granted, the lcd noise isn't loud...the video noise is.

I just made the test you described. The noise from the camera dissapears completely when turning off the lcd (not the camera)...comes back on when turning on the camera...making an audio recording doesn't pick up the lcd noise, or atleast it's so quiet that I couldn't hear it playing back with the camera's mic. Recording a video it's as if the lcd noise is boosted multiple times/compressed and there might be added some additional hight pitch noise when recording video. I don't have any technical expertice to say if this is a hardware issue, a driver issue, an issue with ALL Z750's or just some etc. But that's what were trying to figure out right? :-) Casio won't do it for us..

1)yes
2)no
3)no
5)no
6)yes
Torben Scharling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 5:15 AM   #19

Please clarify 5), what you say dosnt match your "no". Did you try to hear what happens when the LCD truns off at time-out ?

Perhaps you could pass over the camera to your mom ( she will love it ) - or to Rikke, and get the new S500 :G
Old Jun 14, 2005, 5:41 AM   #20

Another thing.

Your own ear is a mic, and have "auto-gain" too.

If you are in a very quite room, your ear will gain up and hear the smallet sound in the room.

If you turn on the radio just a little bit, then you would not be able to hear this same sound any more.

Its possible that if you turn off the light, shut all the doors, send the kids to play in the park, turn off the TV and the sterio - that you can hear the sound from the camera. But under normal conditions will you hear it ?

Most of my clips have noice from people and the suroundings, so I have never paid attention to this small back ground noice you mention, again I think its there on most cameras.