Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 14, 2005, 4:50 AM   #21

Yes, I can hear it, even on the train clip in one of the review. Once you know the pitch/sound, you'll recognize it every time..Anyway all this has been discussed and answered at dpreview during the last couple of months so it's kind of going around in a circle...I bought the camera eventhough it had this noise because there's no substitute at the moment, noise and video length/quality wise and I can edit it out.
Torben Scharling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 12:32 PM   #22

Agree - no substitue for the moment. No camera is perfect. The Z750 is a great camera.
viking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 1:50 PM   #23

When the display for the LCD is turned off the whine goes away. So it definately is associated with the LCD on/off

Here is a sample of the noise. It also has the clicking. And surprisingly it is focusing in and out even though I havent moved the camera! What is up with that?

http://home.comcast.net/~lukester01/...inoutfocus.avi
lukester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 3:17 PM   #24

lukester01 wrote:
Quote:
When the display for the LCD is turned off the whine goes away. So it definately is associated with the LCD on/off

Here is a sample of the noise. It also has the clicking. And surprisingly it is focusing in and out even though I havent moved the camera! What is up with that?

http://home.comcast.net/~lukester01/...inoutfocus.avi
Then its the LCD or the LCD power supply.

If you set the focus to PAN FOCUS in video mode, the clicking will dissapear. From factury the camera it set to AF ( autofocus ), so what you hear is the auto focus motor working all the time. I experienced the same thing - but made this change.
viking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:21 PM   #25

Its definetly the power supply, and if its connected to the LCD, then obviously theres a leaky capacitor near the microphone. This happends with alot of electronics with microphones... and Im not suprised its happening on such a small device.

The good news? Besides that you own an amazing camera with amazing mpeg4 video?

You can edit the sound and reduce that noise very easily. I have done this already and will post clips soon. All you need to do is lower the highest freqs(20k)on a good equalizer and its gone!

Nothing is perfect, if your serious about editing the clips into a movie I would look into Adobe Premiere. I just started playing with it and its amazing. You can crop your video into widescreen format, and with 480 lines it looks amazing on a TV set. A friend thought it was a DVD camcorder, before I showed him the z750.
bello0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 3:46 PM   #26

CONFIRMED. They all have whining LCDs. I went to Kits Cameras where I bought the camera, and I checked their inventory of 4, and they all made the LCD whine. The manager also confirmed that they all whined, and that she hears that complaint all the time. She said if she had 100 they would all whine. She offered to let me return the camera, but I decided the the PROS of the camera outweigh this defect. Hopefully Casio will fess up to the problem and fix it. Since it seems to be an electrical component, I might even look into a Casio repair shop to see if they could fix it.

Why have no reviewers pointed out this flaw in the camera? That's a whole new issue.
lukester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 5:00 PM   #27

By the way... My P-700 whines as well... and also there's another strange thing.. When listening to the camera carefully (pressing my ear against LCD), and shaking it, i can hear some sort of shaking/rattling sound that goes down a little later.. Sounds to me like a gyroscope, but the P-700 hasn't got optical image stabilization.. so what's that sound? is that a gyroscope to determine image orientation? wouldn't that be solved with a simple quicksilver/mercury switch? please clear me up...
Axelarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 1:06 PM   #28

There is a noise comming from the top half of the LCD area, but it is so faint and high pitched I doubt if all ears can be attuned to it. It is unquestionably there and no one can convince me otherwise. It is even in the Z750 videos even on the Casio website but strangely totally absent on the P505 MPEG4 video there, which by the way looks astonishingly better than even the EX-Z750 IMHO.* Too bad it is too large for the pocket. The sound during playback from a TV monitor is a bit less prevalent probably because the speakers are much larger on a TV and cannot emmit such a high frequency sound as the cameras tiny speakers. I am exchanging my cam today due to a weird LCD anomaly; there is a visual "pulse" of pressure on the LCD just before the cam shuts off, as if the retracting lense during shut off causes a pressure by bumping against the LCD. I checked the Casio Demo model that was on display and it exhibited no such behavior. So hopefully my exchanged cam will have no whine. It is definitely an annoyance to those capable of hearing it.
buddy1065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 5:13 PM   #29

they all whine mate ;-)
Torben Scharling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 3:11 AM   #30

Same noise problem on my Kodak V550. I noticed (as someone in topic also posted before) the noise is especially serious during intense auto-focus and/or zooming. So I believe the noise from the motor(s).

As for why Casio P505 doesn't have the noise, I think quite obvious from the above theory: P505 lens is extruding out very far away from the DC body i.e. the mic, as compared with the card-sized DCs (z750 & v550).
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote