Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:36 AM   #1

Does everybodies 750 have a high pitch whine in movie mode? It is definately the LCD whine that is picked up by the microphone. If I put my ear the the LCD I can hear it!

No reviews seem to mention the whine! I called Casio, and they are aware of the problem and said a firmware upgrade would be made available in the next few days (between the 11 and 13th), but that I could take the camera back and keep trying cameras til I found one what did not whine.
lukester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2005, 2:58 AM   #2

Yes, so far everybody has the whine (or atleast no one proved otherwise) the issue is all over dpreview..I have untill june 31. to return mine so I really hope what you are saying about a firmware update solving the problem is true, and that it will get here soon...!
Torben Scharling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 4:35 AM   #3

I dont experience this sound. At first I experienced a "click" when I start and stop the movie. After some time the "click" sound dissapeared , I suppose the tactile contact gets used and finaly dosnt make this noice ?

I asked Casio and got the following answer:

"The microphone of the camera is very sensitive and therefore it might pick up
some extra sounds.

We suggest to use the infinity zooming (symbol is like an 8, horizontal) or the
Pan Focus (page 78 from the instruction manual in the CD-Rom. This ones
deactivate the auto focus and you will reduce (or will not have) the noises in
the movie."

Anyway, as a electronical enigneer I know that a LCD dosnt make any noice at all, so the sound must come from a different source.

The only electronical component that can make the noice you describe is a coil windings vibrating, such a coil is usualy placed in the power supply. Then its a design error, or they use a low quality coil, but I find this very unlikly. More likley its a motor or other mechanical source.

Does your camera say Made in Japan ?

It could also be a mic/speaker issue, you know the problem from people speaking into a mic and the mic picks up the sound form the speaker. In this case its a volume setting, and can be updated by firmware.

viking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:11 AM   #4

This thing should actually continue in dpreview, as there are numerous threads and people complaining about this issue...ant not just on the casio forum...the canon's got the same problem. It's high pitched noise that you can clearly hear when you put your ear close to the camera/lcd..

Check out all the z750 video's that are online, and also some on the dpreview casio forum...I should mention that that noise is decreased when recording in low quality. The answer from Casio is only regarding the motor noise when auto focusing which is also unbearably loud but also really bad to look at anyways, but so far I believe all camera's have this noise...otherwise I'd have to see an example to believe it, and believe me, I'd like to be proven wrong, so I can exchange/return my noisy camera!

(yes it's made in Japan and purchased may 31.)
Old Jun 13, 2005, 7:25 AM   #5

viking7 wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, as a electronical enigneer I know that a LCD dosnt make any noice at all, so the sound must come from a different source.

The only electronical component that can make the noice you describe is a coil windings vibrating, such a coil is usualy placed in the power supply. Then its a design error, or they use a low quality coil, but I find this very unlikly. More likley its a motor or other mechanical source.
Isn't it just the sound from the inverter in the PSU for the LCD light? Almost every LCD I've seen with a certain type of backlight has emitted a "whine", albeit very quiet.

Anyway it's very easy to notch out on soundforge.
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 7:27 AM   #6

I designed once a small hand held terminal. First prototype had this high frequence noise, which turned out to come from a coil in the power supply.

Thats the only thing I can think of, except from the mic/speaker issue. Try to cover the speaker and see what happens ( or both the mic and speaker ).

Again - I do not experience this problem in my Z750.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 1:00 PM   #7

The sound does not sound like it has a motor source. It is a high pitch electrical whine. Audible to the ear when placed next to the camera. Not all cameras make this noise. I just had a Sony P200, and it made no noise.(other than motor noise when focusing)

Yes the mic does pick up the focus click. This I can live with, but the whine is very annoying.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 1:01 PM   #8

made in Japan
Old Jun 13, 2005, 1:19 PM   #9

Sounds like the power supply making the noise.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 1:32 PM   #10

Please upload an untouched HQ clip in a quiet setting and post the link that comes up after uploading: www.yousendit.com (you don't have to write any email)