Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 12, 2005, 3:42 PM   #1

the specs for the new s500 look great but once again they fail to include the Coupling and Pre-Shot BestShot modes like in the z750 and p700.

Any one know why they are phasing these two modes out? the Coupling feature is one of the main reasons I bought a Casio over Canon, Nikon, etc. and I'd hope my future cameras would have it as well.

here's the 33 modes

http://exilim.casio.com/index.cfm?fu...0-a25138b09d87

the new high sensitivity and anti shake modes look useful. new autumn leaves mode usefulness depends on what part of the country you live in i guess.

I do like the orange colored s500.

Looking at the specs the s500 isslightly thinner than the s100 but considerably wider and taller andhalf an ounce heavier.Also looks like Casio abandoned the ceramic lens of the previous model.

ETA: sorry i missed the already existing topic for the s500.
mongoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2005, 12:01 PM   #2

Perhaps the features list is not yet complete. They are software features, so they can still add more to the list or to the firmware.

Most propably they want to differentiate from the next model EX-S700, which will be the top model in the Card family ?
( just a guess, have descided to wait and see if they introduce a S700 later this year ).

I hope they will make it in stainless steel too, like the S100. They may do this with the S700 but not with the S500 to differentiate the two cameras.
viking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 5:37 AM   #3

This is part of thepress summaryon the S500 from dcreview:

"Beautiful color body is brilliant and smooth, due to a special "electrical coating" process enhancing the look and feel of the stainless steel body."

http://www.dcviews.co.uk/press/Casio-EX-S500.htm
jaigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 1:45 PM   #4

jaigee wrote:
Quote:
This is part of the press summary on the S500 from dcreview:

"Beautiful color body is brilliant and smooth, due to a special "electrical coating" process enhancing the look and feel of the stainless steel body."

http://www.dcviews.co.uk/press/Casio-EX-S500.htm
I saw that - so it should be esay to make a model without paint too - like the S100. But I suppose this will be for the S700 ??

I have so far decided to put a stop to my camera investments for now, and wait and see if the S700 gets released. The Z750 is afterall a realy great camera.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 4:12 PM   #5

jaigee wrote:
Quote:
stainless steel body."

Well not exactly. The camera core is made of plastic. There is a form-pressed steel shell wraped around the camera core.
If you look at any shot of the open battery port, it is very easy to see the plastic core ( dark gray ) and the form-presed shell ( shining metal ).
Old Jul 4, 2005, 8:21 AM   #6

I just found one in the London airport. Grey

Im a point and click enthusiast not a pro. But my first couple of shots that Ive taken with and without the flash with and without zoom look grainier than I had anticipated. So Im a little disappointed. I'm still in the airport so I havn't run any precise tests. I will be back in Texas in 12 hours and I can post some pics and comparisons to my cannon s400 and pentax optio s4i.

Its a nice looking camera btw. More soon.

Tony

Tony Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 6:53 AM   #7

anyone else got one yet?

can pass comment on if its worth the money>
andyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 11:28 AM   #8

I just ordered this camera ..its on its way..will update feedbacks soon...The Orange one..it was so hard to find one ...every shop had it out of stock..
maxpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 6:18 PM   #9

Yes - very pink cast in auto mode makes it unusable. Other modes great so it could be a fault with mine. Also inclined to agree with other comments here and elsewhere regarding some graininess in results. Not convinced yet!
rog26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 6:18 PM   #10

Yes - very pink cast in auto mode makes it unusable. Other modes great so it could be a fault with mine. Also inclined to agree with other comments here and elsewhere regarding some graininess in results. Not convinced yet!
rog26 is offline   Reply With Quote