Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:50 AM   #1

You can play divx movies on your Casio Exilim Z750 camera, here is how : DivX beeing Mpeg4, your casio z750 can read it ! However sound must be in wav format, not mp3 (as far as I know) ... too bad. You can use virtualdub or any other tool, to convert your file in the right format.

Obligatory/mandatory caracteristics (for your file to be played) :

* Format : 640x480 or 320x240 pixels
* Sound codec : IMA ADPCM
* CIMGxxxx.AVI type filename
* M4S2 avi header (fourcc)
* Video codec : DivX 5 (and maybe other mpeg4 codecs..)

Caracteristics you can change and still be playable :

* Bitrate : 300, 500, 1000kbs ... whatever
* Framerate : 24, 25, 30fps ... whatever
* Frequency : 11, 22, 44khz
* Tracks : mono or stereo

The filename must be like CIMGxxxx.AVI where xxxx are 4 digits/numbers, for example : CIMG0100.AVI, then, you need to change the files FourCC/header with the tool
FourCC and put M4S2 in both fields (like on the image capture (don't forget to Apply).

After some trying, I found that the best quality/size results where using 320x240pixels, with a bitrate between 300 and 500kbs, a framerate of 24 or 25fps, and mono sound at 22khz.

The bad side is the screen is not so bright in full sun and you don't have earplugs, but I think on a 512MB card, you can put about 3 hours of movies.... cool !

(PS : If you have transfer problems, try using an old USB1 port and not USB2 )

Any other tips are welcome

(Help : I didn't have white color to write this post.......)

--

French version of this texte here -> http://www.domsweb.org/astuces/index...eur-multimedia

domdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:59 AM   #2

Thank you very much for sharing...(I've just realize I don't have white text as well :shock:

Now only if someone can share some idea for rigging up a simple/cheap headphones...

(should be cheap because portable DVD players are pretty cheap nowsaday, and Casio cables probably cost half the price...)

Cheers,
HughB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 3:23 PM   #3

wouldnt it be better if you posted in black? :>
Axelarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 5:14 AM   #4

BTW, there is no need for FourCC change- my Z750 plays back even if FourCC is DIVX/XVID- main point lies in using DiVX simple profile, not home theatre or something more advanced.

Best, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 1:07 PM   #5

Reps, a member here, mentioned he usedCasio EMC-2A to listen on earphone while watching on the LCD screen. If anyone else knows it works, please let the rest of us knows. I tried my dock, but video can only play thought TV, so can't play sound on earphoneand video LCD.
story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:30 PM   #6

Reps, what settings do you use for Xvid? I have tried several things but none of them has worked.

Thanks for your contributions!
funtasticguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 1:58 AM   #7

If You connect the video out connector to dock it switches off LCD- very simple but not advisable modification for that (warranty!!!). For encoding to MPEG4 I always use the "unrestricted" profile. Dropped using XViD by now- somehow DiVX looks better to me. Main point is to avoid BVOP/NVOP and not to exceed ca. 4000 kb/s maximum data rate (average rate I use is about 800-1000, sufficent for in-camera viewing). Also I even do not bother about sound channels because Z750 plays back even if sound is stereo (of course You waste card space then- but some films do not allow direct sound conversion to desired ADPCM in mono... no big deal).

Best, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 5:54 PM   #8

Using the information from this post, and from post on the Afterlife site, I came up with a guide that has more hand-holding (I needed it!) for going from DVD to Z750. I hope this helps somebody:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14002387

--Bill
bigbill25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:28 PM   #9

Reps wrote:
Quote:
If You connect the video out connector to dock it switches off LCD- very simple but not advisable modification for that (warranty!!!).
Quote:

I still don't really understand how you can listen to the sound with earphone and watch video on the camera. I would really like to know, please give me more details.
story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 5:23 PM   #10

Has someone managed to transcode with linux (eg mencoder, transcode or ffmpeg)? I could not get anything working until now...

Cheers,
am
cputoaster is offline   Reply With Quote