Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 21, 2005, 4:27 PM   #1

Just wondering if anyone has tired Cyberlink Powerdirector4 with casio Mpeg4 avi video? It sure looks good to me. But I know nothing. Will it work with Casio Avi video? look at http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
Any input would be appreciated as I'm new tovideo editing.
Concrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2005, 8:52 PM   #2

Greetings Concrete! I played with PowerDirector4 over the weekend and I must say that I'm rather impressed. First of all, it does recognize Casio videos but when you place them on the timeline, the audio becomes silent while the video remains intact. Consequently, I used Power Video Converter from the site below to extract the audio from the Casio videos:

http://www.apussoft.com/

Once the audio was extracted (which is much faster than converting the Casio videos to another video format), I just placed it on the timeline and was able to produce a video for homeviewing. What impressed me about the software (and I have tried practically every video editoron the market including the high end video editors) was how fast and responsive the software is. More impressive was how fast it rendered a finished video. Something that would have taken Pinnacle Studio 9 (my reigning champ until now) 30 minutes to render only took about 5 minutes to render in PowerDirector 4. I later discovered that they have this patented rendering technology that only renders the edited video while leaving everything else intact. In the long run, it means that it renders the finished video incredibly fast and preserves most of the original video that hasn't been changed or edited. I was stunned! I was so impressed that I went ahead and purchased the full product (although I still plan to keep my Pinnacle Studio 9).

So, to make a long story short, if you are willing to extract the audio portion of the Casio videos, you'll love PowerDirector 4 for it ease of use, speed, and stability.

I also plan to write to Cyberlink and tell them about the M4S2 codec. Perhaps they can later issue an update and address the audio section of working with M4S2 codec.

Good luck!

funtasticguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:23 PM   #3

Hey funtasticguy...thanks for the info...did you happen to notice if PowerDirector 4 can edit out the "whine" from the z750 audio? I downloaded Ulead Studio 9 last night and tried but I couldn't get rid of it...despite studio 9 having a a feature to "de-noise"...I found whenI used that it took out every background noise exept speech. Any Idea how to edit out the "whine" sound?If I could do that I will keep my z750...I have until saturday to return it no questions asked...thanks.
wildside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 2:43 PM   #4

Wildside, PowerDirector 4 does not have advanced audio settings. Vegas 6 does but it will cost you and arm and a leg. You might want to consider extracting the audio using the PowerConverter software mentioned in my previous post and then using "Audacity" which is a free audio editor and recorder.

You can find Audacity here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

If Audacity can fix the whinning sound you hear (which I personally don't hear) you can then import it back onto the timeline of whatever video editor you use.

Good luck!

Old Jul 1, 2005, 6:25 AM   #5

funtasticguy wrote:
Quote:
I also plan to write to Cyberlink and tell them about the M4S2 codec.
funtasticguy,

Thanks for the info on Powerdirector4. I'm a newbie to all this so it will take a little time to learn. I did get Ulead's Videostudio9, and am just starting to learn my way around it.

I did write Cyberlink to ask if it would work with M4S2 codec, but so far haven't had an answer.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:07 PM   #6

Concrete,

If you haven't purchased Ulead's VideoStudio 9 yet, you will find PowerDirector to be much faster and more stable (my trial version of VideoStudio 9 was slower and crashed several times while testing it). Creating the videos (or the rendering part of it) alone is worth the price since it renders the video incredibly fast. The only advantage that Ulead has over Cyberlink is that it read M4S2 without any conversion required.

What I did to save money was that I purchased Version 3 from Amazon forless than$10and then used the upgrade method for $40 at Cyberlink.

Good luck!
Old Jul 8, 2005, 5:50 AM   #7

funtasticguy,

have you heard back from cyberlink about their plans on the M4S2 codec yet? I haven't had a reply to my email.

Ron
Old Jul 10, 2005, 2:43 PM   #8

I did get a answer from Cyberlink this is what they say.

Dear Ronald,

Thank you for contacting Cyberlink Online Customer Support.

I understand you want to know does PowerDirector 4.0 support Mpeg4 M4s2 format.

Please note that PowerDirector does not support this feature to which you referred in this issue. I will definitely transfer this request to my product development department to include this feature into the next release of PowerProducer. Please keep on visiting our web site to get the updates. At this moment, I would appreciate your patience and understanding about this issue.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification in this issue or for any assistance related to Cyberlink Products.

Thank you and best regards

I found that I had cyberlinks PowerProducer2 and powerDVD installed on my computer. (one of the many pre loaded programs that I have never looked at.)

I played video clips that I shot with the P505 and they worked great on both programs. I had no problem with sound or picture quality.

Ron