Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 26, 2005, 5:00 AM   #1

Hi, all

Bought my Z750 two weeks ago and I noticed something today I haven't before. When I use the optical zoom the right bottom corner of the LCD illuminates with a soft purple or blue glow. Even when I cover the lens completely with the palm of my hand the glow could still be seen. I am not sure whether this is a malfunction or is that normal. Did anybody experience the same symptoms. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Sincerely
Mike
MadOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:35 PM   #2

Sorry,

nothing similar on my Z750 :-(

Best, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 2:38 PM   #3

Yep, this color glow also shows up on mine z750. It becomes quite apparent if you switch the record-histogram on and use the zoom while keeping the lens covered. Most probably the zoom motor causes electromagnetic interference on the ccd-sensor. (Maybe this is the cause why we aren't allowed to use the zoom during movie recording ;-) )
Greetings,
Christoph
wtzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 3:15 AM   #4

If your guess, motor interference, is correct, it's totally unacceptable. You were talking about CCD, not only the LCD (I would accept LCD defects to some extent, because the quality of the ultimate output (CCD) is still preserved. As a comparision, my Kodak V550 which can optical zoom during movie, and has higher-res LCD, doesn't seem to have any problem at all.

But I heard, most of the excuses of not implementing video zooming, is for the audible (not electrical) motor noise. I really think it is an excuse because back few yrs ago, every DC could perform video zoom. They are just reserving this feature for their higher priced model nowadays.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 4:50 AM   #5

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
If your guess, motor interference, is correct, it's totally unacceptable. You were talking about CCD, not only the LCD (I would accept LCD defects to some extent, because the quality of the ultimate output (CCD) is still preserved.
I'm quite sure that the ccd is the place where this error occurs, otherwise it wouldn't show up on the live histogram during zooming. But I'm not really worried about this issue because it doesn't influence the final picture quality; this colour mismatch really happens only _during_ zooming and when taking an exposure this motor is of course not active.
Greetings,
Christoph
wtzm is offline   Reply With Quote