Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 2, 2005, 5:25 PM   #1

Just been reading Ken Rockwell's great review of the Casio Z750
http://www.kenrockwell.com/casio/exz750.htm

Anyone know what this bit is all about:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/casio/exz...und.htm#movies

"Look out for the ahead-of-the-curve MPEG-4 format: these can't be played or read on many computers including mine unless you load special software. The Z750 has no ability to record more conventional format video or movies."

Any ideas?

Zatt
ZattleBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2005, 6:21 PM   #2

Welcome to the board.

Mine play fine on my Windows Media Player. I keep Windows updated so it is probably a current version of the media player.

There would likely be a problem editing in older versions of video software as the format is relatively new. I would imagine the better companies would have a patch but I don't know.

There are problems if you have a Mac, as I think he does. There is a good discussion on that at dpreview and it appears it is easily handled.

MPEG4 is great. The movies take much less memory space than movies of the same size and frame rate from older formats and I don't see significant decrease in quality. In Steve's samples a 9 second movie at 640 X 480 & 30fps took 17Mb on the Canon SD500. A 12 second movie at the same size and frame rate took 6Mb on the Z750.
That is around 1.9Mb/sec for the SD500 and about half a Mb/sec for the Z750.

If you haven't used the camera the future movie mode is really nifty. It works well and you don't have to grind away waiting for something to happen.

If you are considering the camera get at least a 1Gb card. It doesn't require a fast card but the manual says it will drop frames in the high quality movies with a slow card. The reason I recommend a large card is that the best quality JPGs are around 4.5Mb and the battery runs forever. Some people are buying 2Gb cards for it, but you get plenty of pictures and movies on 1Gb.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 3:30 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply slipe

I've had the camera a week now (with a 1GB card)and am slowly getting to grips with it. I'm still finding the cursor button very confusing and keep changing the focus/flash setting by accident. The past movie mode (which you interesting call "future") I have to say is absolutely fantastic!

My problem started after I uploaded the movies onto my WinXP (SP2) PC. Running MP9 the movies play really well and the quality is excellent. However when I import them into Ulead VideoStudio 8 (Full version, not the pathetic SE VCD version on the Casio CD) they don't play very well. The images and sound are all distorted and jumpy making it impossible to work with.

I'm going to try and record a few movies on the lower "Normal" setting rather than the "HQ" to see is that makes any difference.

Zatt

PS I've been having another play and discovered that the Ulead software plays the "CLIP" fine. Playing "PROJECT" is the one that is all screwed up. All very strange (
Old Jul 3, 2005, 10:22 AM   #4

Have you checked Ulead for a patch or update?
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 9:34 AM   #5

Yep, couldn't find anything on the ulead website though. Apart from upgrading to the next version which I don't think my PC could handle (AMD XP2000)

Z
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:52 AM   #6

These movies can be edited fine on the PC with Quicktime when you download the codec:┬*┬* ┬* http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/iMovieTheater40.html┬* ┬*┬*┬* That's a 5.5 MB Z750 movie of two scenes edited with Quicktime. This can be done on the Mac or the PC with Quicktime. I see no loss of quality and the video is smooth on my computers.
buddy1065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:53 AM   #7

mis post
buddy1065 is offline   Reply With Quote