1. How is the flash on it

2. whats the range,

3. what is flash assist,

4. is there slow sync flash on it,

5. does anyone have sample pictures with the flash
afro_ninj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2005, 8:48 PM   #2

I think the flash is sufficient. I don't use flash assist because I find Photoshop Shadow/Highlight does the same thing and you have control over the amount. But if you aren't into post processing and need to take a flash picture out of range it works fine – albeit with some added noise. Flash assist is a software enhancement of the image. You get exactly the same noise bringing it up to the same level in Photoshop Shadow/Highlight.

It has a night portrait mode that fires the flash and meters the dark background. You can also set the shutter wherever you want in manual and take a flash shot.

I just took these shots. I used a tape measure and took the shot with the camera exactly 15 feet from the fireplace, which sticks out 18 inches from the dark wall. I turned off the lights so the room was dark except for a tiny illumination so I wouldn't fall over something. The lamp in the photo was off.

The first shot is in auto everything. It used ISO 100, which is as high as it goes in auto. Keep in mind that some cameras measure their flash distance in an auto that goes to 200. It is a little dark, but I think pretty good for being 5 feet out of the advertised range. The second is with the flash assist on. No enhancements other than PT Lens to take out the barrel distortion – I can't resist doing that now that it is in the plug-ins. I had to reduce the image to post it, so you can't really evaluate the noise. It is there in the flash assist image. It would probably look OK up to 8 X 10, but I would take it out with noise reduction if I were printing it.

15 feet from face of fireplace"

Same distance with flash assist:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:56 AM   #3

great pics, thanx for the reply
Old Jul 5, 2005, 6:05 AM   #4

I wonder if you are aware of the manual flash adjustments and if you could try them in the same room. The adjustments range from -2 to +2 and in all the reviews I've read no one seems to take this capability into account with a test. Wish I knew how to post pics here but I don't.
buddy1065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:02 PM   #5

buddy1065 wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if you are aware of the manual flash adjustments and if you could try them in the same room. The adjustments range from -2 to +2 and in all the reviews I've read no one seems to take this capability into account with a test. Wish I knew how to post pics here but I don't.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

Use this link...it tells you how. If you figure it out, please post some pictures
Old Jul 6, 2005, 1:14 PM   #6

Just testing. I will try to experiment with the flash later, thanks for the info!

buddy1065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:43 AM   #7

The flash is pretty strong at +2 IMO
Torben Scharling is offline   Reply With Quote